This site....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/06/2013 21:40
  • Post subject:
Yeah, when I go to RYM, I don't log in oftentimes. The only forum I post in is the "go review that album" thread, and I always request someone to give me something new to review and guess what they decide not to fucking do? They decide to give me something I have already rated. Personally, games like those (to me) are about discovering something new, not reviewing something you've already listened to. In the end, I'm just trying to expand my music in general at all time, generally I succeed on my own, but from time to time I fail and need a recommend.

Yeah, and it doesn't seem the members are as enthusiastic as me to listen to something new, half the time I assign them to review something they haven't listened to, they skip over my thing. I understand that, but it gets quite obnoxious.

While, if I had participated in the same game on BEA, I know this wouldn't happen.

EDIT: As a secondary note, I wouldn't blame anyone for giving me something if I haven't rated it yet, only if I have.
JMan

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:48
  • Post subject:
I really like how you can rate by 5's instead of 10's on BEA. I also like the points system. And I like Happymeal.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 03/08/2013 14:36
  • Post subject:
This site was made for rockin'
And that's just what'll do
One of these days this site is gonna rock all over you
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/08/2013 15:59
  • Post subject:
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
This site was made for rockin'
And that's just what'll do
One of these days this site is gonna rock all over you

Hey, it's MY job to do the spoof songs here. Remember when I took John Mellencamp's Jack and Diane and turned it into Sam and Diane from the TV show Cheers to make fun of Naples and Saoirse bickering all the time?
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 03/08/2013 16:00
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Hey, it's MY job to do the spoof songs here. Remember when I took John Mellencamp's Jack and Diane and turned it into Sam and Diane from the TV show Cheers to make fun of Naples and Saoirse bickering all the time?

Link please.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/08/2013 16:02
  • Post subject:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...bar#168472
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 03/08/2013 16:03
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...bar#168472

Confused
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/08/2013 16:04
  • Post subject:
You don't like it? I've been planning that song for months, and I figured it was time to use it against the war of Naples and Saoirse.
Happy

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2013 14:14
  • Post subject:
Yesterday I was browsing through rateyourmusic and I realized that it's full of douchebags that don't want to understand any music that can even be remotely called pop, unless it's the Beach Boys or Smiths. It also has this completely backwards system where the more reviews you do the higher your rating is worth, which is a terrible idea because the system automatically assumes that all reviews are of equal quality since you can't rate the reviews. At least half of the albums, singles, etc. have their first review as someone who totally misunderstands it or just is one of those lone outliers that can't appreciate it, and yet the rating takes a nosedive because they happen to dislike it. Someone can write thousands of terrible reviews just to get their weight higher while a person who writes a single, high-quality review will never make an impact.

Here I like how each rating is weighted equally because the idea of one user being "better" than the other is bullshit. I also feel like the people here have a better taste in music (although at times I still feel like they have some crazy tastes), but that could just be the backwards weighting system holding rateyourmusic back.

So to the site admin: Good job, keep up the good work.

And to all the site users: Good job at making this site an actually worthwhile site for music opinions (for the most part).
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 07/02/2013 19:12
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I've kind of realized that this site is by far the best music community I'm bound to run into on the internet. There are some annoyances to be sure, but discussion here is way better than on /mu/ and RYM. Besides that, I've actually made some pretty good friends from this site, so even if I didn't want to keep up with the forums I'd keep talking with them and by proxy be involved with the forums. What I'm saying is that this site is the best place for music discussion on the internet and I can't leave.