Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2013 10:01
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
I still use last.fm, just not really the community anymore - I haven't posted in groups in years, same thing with shoutboxes and the internal forums.

Same here, I usually just bounce around the similar artists section to find something good.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/10/2013 10:19
  • Post subject:
Last.fm events and reccomendations used to run my taste exploration, I swear.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/10/2013 13:55
  • Post subject:
Last.fm is good for recommending music that sounds the same as what you already like, but it sucks for expanding your music taste.

/mu/ and RYM is best for finding new music.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 07/10/2013 14:28
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
/mu/ is best for finding new music.

Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/10/2013 14:35
  • Post subject:
Honestly if you wade through the circlejerking and musical elitists you can find a lot of hidden gems, and people are more than willing to offer suggestions to people they know they share music taste with.

This site is much better for musical discussion, but discovery - less so.

Last edited by Puncture Repair on 07/10/2013 14:35; edited 1 time in total
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/10/2013 14:35
  • Post subject:
ppnw wrote:

Well think about it.. How did we find out about Viper?
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 07/10/2013 14:42
  • Post subject:
Viper is the only thing I've ever gotten from /mu/, and I didn't even find it there, I found it from us. I've literally never gotten a rec from /mu/. I go to /mu/ for laughs, not recs. Frankly, I don't think an army of teens can expose me to much outside of some metal I haven't heard, and thus far that's proven true.

EDIT: And to Puncture, you're not trying. Yes, just looking at charts doesn't offer much discovery, but users like CellarDoor, Norman Bates, lethalnezzle, Magenta, and others are full of endless recs from all styles. BEA users still remain a significant source of recs for me, you just have to chat to the seasoned ones.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2013 15:28
  • Post subject:
ppnw wrote:
Viper is the only thing I've ever gotten from /mu/, and I didn't even find it there, I found it from us. I've literally never gotten a rec from /mu/. I go to /mu/ for laughs, not recs. Frankly, I don't think an army of teens can expose me to much outside of some metal I haven't heard, and thus far that's proven true.

EDIT: And to Puncture, you're not trying. Yes, just looking at charts doesn't offer much discovery, but users like CellarDoor, Norman Bates, lethalnezzle, Magenta, and others are full of endless recs from all styles. BEA users still remain a significant source of recs for me, you just have to chat to the seasoned ones.

I definitely have to agree. I think the trick is exploring the Decade and Year charts of the more seasoned listeners. While many of our Overall charts offer a few totally unique picks, I know it's my decade and year charts where I have the most to offer in regards to music discovery. It may be a bit overwhelming, but I've definitely found some great records from various Year charts. I've definitely worked hard on my own to make them filled with treasure. I believe there's at the very least 30 or more albums released every year that are worth listening to. And in the digital age, that number has grown significantly.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/10/2013 15:28
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Honestly if you wade through the circlejerking and musical elitists you can find a lot of hidden gems, and people are more than willing to offer suggestions to people they know they share music taste with.

This site is much better for musical discussion, but discovery - less so.

Yeah, back when I was a /mu/ regular (half-a-year) I got into a lot of interesting discussions and got a lot out of it. I still remember an awesome math rock discussion. Cool
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/10/2013 15:46
  • Post subject:
Re: discovery. This site offers a LOT of opportunities for discoveries, but you have to find the right kind of charts for it. For example, Joyofdivision and dividesbyzero both have great charts or electronic music. CellarDoor is a great source for post-punk and shoegaze recs. Lethalnezzle I think still has that chart of reggae albums + is an awesome source for all things hip hop. So there's that...

I agree that a small database (at least compared to sites like RYM) makes it harder to find out something on your own. For example, when I was trying to find more ex-yugo artists to listen to, I helped myself with RYM database (and some of the lists compiled by users there), because here I was pretty much the first one to add the majority of those albums.

Otherwise I think Pandora and Turntable are great sites to discover music, though both lack this "personal" touch - i.e. you can probably find new stuff easier through users that you know have a similar music taste to you, which isn't possible at these sites (unless you're turntablin' with these specific users)
  • Visit poster's website