Genres

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:21
  • Post subject: Genres
It has recently occurred to me, there are a lot of different musical genres. Like a shit-ton of different genres. Now I can see how this makes sense for organizational purposes, but I feel like at a certain point, it just becomes too much. Is there really any purpose in classifying something as experimental neo-techno folk-hop, or acid anti-folk or whatever? Especially today, where more often than not, traditional "genres" are heavily diluted with many different styles of music. What do you think, have we gone a little overboard with our obsession with labeling everything? Can't music just be music?
JMan

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:29
  • Post subject:
Maybe. But for those people who like music a certain way, the genres with really long names like that neo-whatever you mentioned may have a genre that one person likes, and he/she may begin to like other styles of music just by listening to a multi-style genre. So it could be kind of a good thing that we have country blues rock and stuff like that.

Start with one, you might like another.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:32
  • Post subject:
Well if I just say "electronic" that's pretty broad and doesn't give a really good image of what that particular artist might sound like. Everything that comes before that are just adjectives that just hone in on what the music sounds like.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:34
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Well if I just say "electronic" that's pretty broad and doesn't give a really good image of what that particular artist might sound like. Everything that comes before that are just adjectives that just hone in on what the music sounds like.

but is with something as subjective as music, is it really possible to be that specific?
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:36
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
but is with something as subjective as music, is it really possible to be that specific?

It helps, especially with super broad genres, like "indie"
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 00:54
  • Post subject:
Labels help. We aren't going to like every type of music and genres just help us find what we like. Take metal for example. The sounds within metal vary a lot. There are subgenres of metal I like more than others, and there are even subgenres of metal that I can't stand. Plus, who are these labels hurting anyway?
JMan

• Posted: 03/08/2013 01:06
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
who are these labels hurting anyway?

That's a winning post right there. Really, I can't see any problem with genres.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 03/08/2013 01:08
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
Labels help. We aren't going to like every type of music and genres just help us find what we like. Take metal for example. The sounds within metal vary a lot. There are subgenres of metal I like more than others, and there are even subgenres of metal that I can't stand. Plus, who are these labels hurting anyway?

Some of the artists hate being put under labels of music. For example Salem was super pissed when they were defined as witchhouse. Im sure they feel like it pigeon holes them.

From a listeners standpoint I have no problem with genres. I cant imagine what a mess the record stores would be without them.

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.

Last edited by bongritsu on 03/08/2013 01:41; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 01:13
  • Post subject:
420BongRitsu69 wrote:
Some of the artists hate being put under labels of music. For example Salem was super pissed when they were defined as witchhouse. Im sure they feel like it pigeon holes them.

From i listeners standpoint i have no problem with genres. I cant imagine what a mess the record stores would be without them.

Fair point. Although sometimes the listener is right and the artist just has their own bias toward labels. Right off the top of my head I can think of Motorhead. They hate being labeled heavy metal and insist that they are nothing more than a Rock N Roll band. Hate to break it to them, but they are heavy metal, through and through.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 03/08/2013 08:24
  • Post subject:
I had to add a genre to my library the other day: Experimental. It was too hard trying to put some of the weird and twisted stuff into rock, pop, industrial, ambient, electronic and soul at the same time.
  • Visit poster's website