Films you watched recently

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 234, 235, 236  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 02/20/2018 08:41
  • Post subject:
Black Panther 9.0

One of the most impressive Marvel films I've seen. Sophisticated story line that flips in directions you're not expecting half way in. Visual effects to the equal of anyything I've experienced. The only question is why release in Feb and not awards season/U.S summer holidays? No matter it's going berserk at the box office.
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 02/26/2018 11:07
  • Post subject:
3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri 8.0

Very good film but not a great one. Fine performances etc but button pushing and predictable plot twists abound. Judging from the audience I watched with tailor made for a middleclass liberal white audience. So we know whose cleaning up at the oscars don't we?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/05/2018 22:45
  • Post subject:
Seems like nobody's watched films since February.

Just some recent favs:

Burning (Lee Chang-Dong)
Eighth Grade (Bo Burnham)
Lazzaro Felice (Alice Rohrwacher)

All worth a watch. Figuring they'll be in my top 20 of the year by the end of it.

Anyone have any 2018 recs?
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2018 03:29
  • Post subject:
I've been doing the 31 days of Halloween horror challenge. If you follow me on Letterboxd I'll be (amateurishly) reviewing a movie every day of October. About to pick a movie for tonight but last night's was the recently released Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich. It's no doubt the best Puppet Master movie ever made, so even if you're thinking no because the movies you've seen suck, believe me, it's a yes.

I'll definitely be letting you guys know how Halloween and Suspiria are when they hit theaters (hopefully day 1).
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2018 04:03
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I've been doing the 31 days of Halloween horror challenge. If you follow me on Letterboxd I'll be (amateurishly) reviewing a movie every day of October. About to pick a movie for tonight but last night's was the recently released Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich. It's no doubt the best Puppet Master movie ever made, so even if you're thinking no because the movies you've seen suck, believe me, it's a yes.

I'll definitely be letting you guys know how Halloween and Suspiria are when they hit theaters (hopefully day 1).

Still can't believe that new Puppet Master movie was written by Craig Zahler.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/22/2018 22:54
  • Post subject:
Smidge short, but I think BEA will really dig Cold War. Music-based post-war romance, b&w, 77-min. Think it'll be up a lot of people's alleys. Cinematography is ridiculous, and Joanna Kulig's performance is practically Oscar-worthy (won't happen, but still).
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2018 04:15
  • Post subject:
ok. I'm a wee bit behind the times here, but I could kill Peter Quill right about now.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/10/2018 08:37
  • Post subject:
stangetzaway wrote:
3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri 8.0

Very good film but not a great one. Fine performances etc but button pushing and predictable plot twists abound. Judging from the audience I watched with tailor made for a middleclass liberal white audience. So we know whose cleaning up at the oscars don't we?

Hmmm, well I agree about the great performances, but I don't really get your take on the plot. Idk, but seems to me that the liberal political angle gets overstated in the media's perception of this film and in some of the audience reaction too. For me it's not really a film with a clear sociopolitical angle. I found its more of a moral/spiritual fable about: the relationship between pain and hatred/anger; the way this can shape people's lives and the possibility of transcending this (this also builds on themes started in the director's previous film, The 7 Psychopaths). I thought the narrative was brilliant and original at exploring these ideas. Just my thoughts though Smile
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/11/2018 15:59
  • Post subject:
Finally got around to Black Panther and thought it was... kinda... bad? Neutral Not sure how anyone could think it's an Best Picture contender.

The fact that it's #1 on RT for the year is also puzzling.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2018 19:04
  • Post subject:
I don't usually post in this thread but I think this one is worth the read.

The horror groups I'm in have been raving over Mandy, directed by Panos Cosmatos and starring Nicolas Cage.

Now I'm usually pretty easy to please. I mean I think it's known that I strongly dislike most movies that are generally hated. But I was lead to believe this was one of those "love it or hate it" films, artsy and maybe a bit pretentious. Something like Antichrist or Mother! So I figured it was just my type of movie, an easy candidate for my top 5 horror films of the year, possibly #1.

Damn, I was wrong.

This is like if Mad Max Fury Road got hooked on meth, and Suspiria got bad off smoking crack. Well they fucked and made twins, a boy and a girl. Of course, due to their parents' bad habits they were born a little messed up. Cock-eyed, missing fingers, unable to properly communicate, the whole shebang. Anyhow the siblings managed to get hooked on meth as young children, and started fucking at age 13. Sure enough, Max Jr knocks up lil' Spiria. Now due to the fact that they were born disabled, and because they started shooting up, and because they're siblings, they gave birth to the most disgusting looking inbred mongoloid in the history of mankind. And that little freak's name is Mandy.

Anyone who thinks this film is artsy has clearly never seen anything more artsy than Fight Club. The cinematography and editing are so flashy, so over the top, so ridiculous, so aesthetically unpleasant. The acting is fine and the story was alright. But this is the ugliest shot film I've ever seen in my life, by a very large margin.

Once I voiced my opinion in my horror circles, I found that I wasn't the only one who feels that way. Basically, it is the Fight Club of horror films. It's so far from "generic" that anyone who's never seen a film by the likes of Bergman, Tarkovsky, Jodorowski, Malick or Roeg are going to think it's the most unique film they've ever seen. But anyone who knows anything about art films will recognize it's a steaming pile of shit.

4/10

--------------

But yeah, 2018 has been solid thusfar from what I've seen, and I haven't even got into the Oscar contenders yet (and likely won't until next year sometime). Black Panther is a contender for best Marvel film ever. Infinity Wars was also a blast. Hereditary may be the best horror film this decade. The latest Halloween and Puppet Master films were quite good; even Tales from the Hood 2 was way more fun than it had any right to be (and I've got high hopes for Suspiria to be the high art horror film that Mandy wasn't).

Last edited by badseed on 11/11/2018 19:11; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website