Films you watched recently

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2018 19:08
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I know I am developing a reputation as the PC police around these parts. But is it necessary to use derogatory language about disabled people in your review? I am disabled and stuff like this hurts to read Sad
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2018 19:19
  • Post subject:
Pretty much, it's the only way I could accurately describe the film. It was all drug and incest related, so unless you're a crack baby or your own uncle I wouldn't be too offended. And if you are, well I apologize, but no point in taking it back now as I already said it. I've got severe depression but I don't let the sad shit I read on the internet fuel my frequent suicidal thoughts. Got enough of that going in my real life. At least you're an articulate, functioning disabled person. Mandy is not.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2018 19:31
  • Post subject:
Well, I guess I shouldn't have expected a kinder response. Maybe it's time for me to reconsider spending so much time on this website.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2018 19:40
  • Post subject:
That would be overreacting. My thoughts don't represent the thoughts of everyone else here, and you are a valued member of the community. You know, I didn't notice it until just now when I accidentally did it to another user, but you can click to ignore those that hurt your feelings. Again, I wish there was a button like that for real life and not just certain websites. Not saying I don't want to interact with you, but ignoring me won't affect your ability to have good conversations with others on here, and it won't make me look like a dick for running off people who contribute more than I do. I do recommend some kind of therapy to help you brush stuff like this off though, because there are millions of nastier, harsher, more sarcastic people than me in this world, and I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with bullying or discrimination.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/11/2018 20:04
  • Post subject:
I mean the sensible thing here would obviously just have been to apologise for using a (disgusting) term and maybe offer to try to temper your language somewhat in the future, as opposed to doubling down and blaming somebody else for getting offended because it wasn't literally the worst thing somebody has ever said on the internet.

But maybe I'm just old-fashioned.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2018 20:52
  • Post subject:
I did apologize, and I tried to offer some advice from the point of view of someone who spent half their life fretting about things I can't control like being judged and bullied. But I never once judged or bullied him. I gave an offensively bad review of an offensively bad film. If I was born addicted to meth or my parents were my sister and my grandson I'd probably have grown to accept it by now and probably joke about it. It helps with coping with your physical/mental issues if you don't stress them. I have bigger tits than my best female friend but I grew out of crying every time someone makes fun of manboobs 15 years ago. I forgot this site has way more sensitive people than the others I frequent, so I probably shouldn't have went there, I'll admit that. Lapse in judgement on my part. Which term was "disgusting"? Mongoloid? Jesus christ. Y'all might wanna stay out of that new Heavy Metal albums post, because the titles to some of the best metal songs ever include far more disgusting terms. All I'm saying is get over it. I'll watch what I say around these parts from now on. Move along. Nothing to see here.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2018 20:03
  • Post subject:
I don't have anyone blocked online, and I don't intend to start now. While I can't say I agree with or appreciate your responses to my comment, I am glad that you will be watching what you say going forward, and I hope we can put this conversation behind us and continue to engage on the topic of music.
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 11/14/2018 00:05
  • Post subject:
My most recently watched film is one of the new Christmas movies on the Hallmark network named Its Christmas, Eve starring country singer LeAnn Rimes. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of LeAnn)

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/14/2018 16:33
  • Post subject:
Went to see Widows last night and I have to say that I was very impressed - it's on a par with Shame in terms of being among McQueen's best yet. It packs a whole lot into two hours, potentially too much, though the editing is sublime and entire stories are often fleshed out in mere seconds. It's quite the ensemble cast, and whilst Davis' heartbroken, suspicious stoicism and Kaluuya's ravenous psychopathy will undoubtedly claim most of the plaudits, I was most impressed with the stumbling, accidental heroism of Elizabeth Debicki's extremely watchable Alice and the paranoid, shouty Robert Duvall in his best role in years. The film feels David Simon-esque in its symmetrical, oft overlapping portrayal of criminals and politicians, not to mention its attempt to represent America as a whole through the eyes of one corrupt, rotting city, but for all of its overt sociopolitical messages it is never as gruelling as any of McQueen's previous films. I particularly enjoyed a scene in which Colin Farrell's entitled career politician offers empty platitudes to a tiny, minority crowd in an impoverished, primarily black area of the city, only to get into his car, display his own bizarre insecurities in a fit of misplaced rage, and alight only a couple of blocks later in his spacious, leafy suburb, an uncomfortable scene that lays bare an even more uncomfortable truth. The film is also something of a companion piece to the early episodes of WBEZ's recent Making Obama podcast, with its history of corrupt white aldermen clinging desperately to power and, by extension, their overly comfortable way of life in an ever-changing world. For a heist film, the heist feels strangely secondary, but when it arrives it is as tense, claustrophobic and consequential as one could hope, even if it may be a little too far to ask the audience to believe that all of the film's various strands are able to be tied together in such an easy bow, though that's honestly a minor quibble about a film that otherwise refuses steadfastly to spoonfeed. It's a smart, stylish, arresting work that feels like a real team effort, and one that is as ambitious as one could hope of what is, in essence, a genre piece. Also, that new Sade song that ushers in the end credits is a thing of beauty. Go see it.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/15/2018 05:10
  • Post subject:
I'm going to hell, but I genuinely found The House That Jack Built laugh-out-loud funny. Possibly the darkest comedy I've ever seen, but it's a knockout. There's some stellar monologues too. Don't believe the hate. I think people were prepared for a psychological horror thriller or something, so it's hitting expectations strangely. It's bold, and there's some difficult scenes, but it's a Von Trier film... so... expect that. It rollercoasters from sadistic to hilarious back and forth, so I can't blame anyone for not knowing what to think.

If you're not digging it, at least wait until Bowie's Fame kicks in for the first time.

EDIT: Will note I watch the R-Rated version, not the uncut.

On another note, The Wild Pear Tree is worth a watch too (if you're into fairly slow 3h+ Turkish films). One of the year's best.
  • Visit poster's website