Applause Applause Applause
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2018 05:42
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Roma. Netflix. Wow.

Applause Applause Applause

Roma is already on Netflix?? Was it a Netflix original or something? Damn. I might have to get Netflix again. Internet just got cut back on this past week after 2 months without.

I saw First Reformed on Prime last night. Eh... The final act was good. Hawke was better than ever. I gave it a 3.5/5 on Letterboxd but the last 30 minutes probably bumped it up from a 3 at best. That's about all I really have to say about it.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/17/2018 06:03
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I gave it a 3.5/5 on Letterboxd

Ditto. I thought it was good, and Hawke is fantastic, but I think people are just saying it's the best of the year to be edgy. Maybe top 20-ish. Great festival film though... it's exactly what you want to see in-between bigger films.

Like Roma. Which, yes, is a Netflix original. Def give it a watch Badseed. Hoping life's getting a little more back to normal...
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2018 17:56
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Ditto. I thought it was good, and Hawke is fantastic, but I think people are just saying it's the best of the year to be edgy. Maybe top 20-ish. Great festival film though... it's exactly what you want to see in-between bigger films.

Like Roma. Which, yes, is a Netflix original. Def give it a watch Badseed. Hoping life's getting a little more back to normal...

Meh. Chaotic is the new normal. Don't mean to get too off topic but I'm not gonna revive the hurricane thread. But yeah I've all the utilities hooked back up at least. Still no roof, no dryer and no kitchen appliances. I've spent about 100 bucks in the last month keeping drinks iced down. My boss (whom I've known and has treated me like a son for half my life) died recently so my job, which was probably a year or two out due to damages, just hit another road block. I've been doing unofficial work cleaning up debris to get by. Gonna be a tight Christmas but at least I've already done pretty well shopping for the kids. Anyway I'll probably have to wait until after the holiday and use some of my gift money to get back on Netflix. Definitely wanna check out Roma.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/18/2018 17:04
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I think people are just saying it's the best of the year to be edgy.

?

Anyways have caught up on a lot of the recent films, some we're good (Widows, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Mand,y Roma), some we're really good (The Favorite, Burning), others just kind of neutral to meh (Suspiria, Mid 90s, the one where Ryan Gosling goes to an incredibly boring moon) and one that was a.... fun theatrical experience (the House Only Lars Von Trier Lives In). Unfortunately nothing that Ive really fallen for, got a few more films lined up but not sure
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/18/2018 17:22
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
?

You know, just over something a little safer with a bigger name or a wide release. Not saying it's a bad choice by any means.

Quote:
some we're really good (The Favorite, Burning)

Really anticipating The Favourite. Based on what I know, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up at the top of my 2018 list. And yeah, Burning's stellar.

Quote:
the one where Ryan Gosling goes to an incredibly boring moon

And we're in agreement with this one... I just... really didn't care for the plot at all. Technical stuff was fantastic, and the score was kinda cool, but it's an absolute bore of a film. I can't even see it getting a Best Picture nom. Needed jazz.

Quote:
Meh. Chaotic is the new normal. Don't mean to get too off topic but I'm not gonna revive the hurricane thread. But yeah I've all the utilities hooked back up at least. Still no roof, no dryer and no kitchen appliances. I've spent about 100 bucks in the last month keeping drinks iced down. My boss (whom I've known and has treated me like a son for half my life) died recently so my job, which was probably a year or two out due to damages, just hit another road block. I've been doing unofficial work cleaning up debris to get by. Gonna be a tight Christmas but at least I've already done pretty well shopping for the kids. Anyway I'll probably have to wait until after the holiday and use some of my gift money to get back on Netflix. Definitely wanna check out Roma.

And all the best Badseed. Sounds like you're living quite the film yourself... Hoping all the best in recovery.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 12/18/2018 19:06
  • Post subject:
My most recent watch would be Operation Finale. It was an Netflix original. It was the story of a group of Jewish secret agents that attempt to capture Adolf Eichmann and bring him back to Israel for trial. Eichmann was one of the men with a key role to play in the Holocaust.

The film itself wasn't that memorable, but still interesting enough. Ben Kingsley played Eichmann and he was top notch. 6/10

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/21/2018 20:05
  • Post subject:
Just saw the Green Book. Better than The Green Room, The Green Hornet, or even The Green Mile.

Absolutely outstanding film. Superb!
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/21/2018 22:01
  • Post subject:
Something to Hide. From 1971, with Peter Finch and Shelley Winters. I expected it to be one of those early 70s Shelley Winters horror flicks, but it wasn't at all. It was absolutely fascinating.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/22/2018 18:51
  • Post subject:
Just watched another great one with a musical backdrop: Whiplash. Truly outstanding.
  • Visit poster's website