Classical Music on Charts

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 03/26/2013 00:15
  • Post subject: Classical Music on Charts
I'm just wondering...What is the general community consensus on adding classical music to charts? I know, it is pretty much up to the chart maker what they add or not, but I am simply curious as to what you guys think. Thanks. Smile
And if you guys want to, viciously argue about it. I could use some entertainment. Laughing
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2013 00:17
  • Post subject:
They're your charts
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/26/2013 00:18
  • Post subject:
Why would anyone wanna remove classical music from charts? It's MUSIC, and they can come in ALBUMS, thus it's unfair to exclude a certain genre. That would be like racism, except for music... "musicism."

Of course, that's only a valid argument if people wanna exclude it from ALL charts.

• Posted: 03/26/2013 00:20
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Why would anyone wanna remove classical music from charts? It's MUSIC, and they can come in ALBUMS, thus it's unfair to exclude a certain genre. That would be like racism, except for music... "musicism."

Of course, that's only a valid argument if people wanna exclude it from ALL charts.

Genreism? Soundism? Haha. XD
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 03/26/2013 00:27
  • Post subject:
Well, for me it's easy to compare rock with pop with hip-hop with blues and with any of their subgenres, but it's infinitely harder for me to compare any release out of those genres with anything out of either jazz or classical, so my chart avoids including many incredible albums (Mingus, Monk, Coleman, Sun Ra, etc... don't really know much about classical).
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/26/2013 00:30
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
Well, for me it's easy to compare rock with pop with hip-hop with blues and with any of their subgenres, but it's infinitely harder for me to compare any release out of those genres with anything out of either jazz or classical, so my chart avoids including many incredible albums (Mingus, Monk, Coleman, Sun Ra, etc... don't really know much about classical).

Yeah, I understand that.

I don't know a thing about classical, I just like listening to it. XD
JMan

• Posted: 03/26/2013 00:43
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty good with comparing Classical and Celtic with rock and pop. Basically, take an album by Celtic Woman. It has classical amd Celtic. Most of it's good, but their debut isn't tone of the best. Now an album like The Phantom of the Opera was phenomenal! The production, lyrics, voices, instruments, and everything else where either 8, 9, or 10/10. I found it better than Nevermind, but not as good as Who's Next.

• Posted: 03/26/2013 02:20
  • Post subject:
The problem with classical music is that the composers (for the most part) were never able to record it themselves, so what you're hearing is not the work of the people performing it. It's still got its merits (I play violin, so I can certainly appreciate classical music), but it's virtually impossible to compare to rock music which is almost always performed by the ones who wrote it (which I think is a much greater achievement).
JMan

• Posted: 03/26/2013 02:23
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
The problem with classical music is that the composers (for the most part) were never able to record it themselves, so what you're hearing is not the work of the people performing it. It's still got its merits (I play violin, so I can certainly appreciate classical music), but it's virtually impossible to compare to rock music which is almost always performed by the ones who wrote it (which I think is a much greater achievement).

Too late. I just did compare them. Mr. Green
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2013 02:52
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:

Fails to acknowledge classical music written in the 20th and the 21st century, while falsely assuming that most rock is performed by the composers.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website