Musical random chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 916, 917, 918 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 06:34
  • Post subject:
I dunno. Maybe it's a right place, right time kind of thing. I hung out with the right people and lived the right lifestyle at 12-13 years old,
and sometimes still do. And when I'm feeling down in the dumps and fucking could rip somebodys head off I always go back to Slipknot. There's just something about that band, man. I went through some shit today (or I suppose the last few days) with a girl and I was feeling like fuck. Got some anger built up inside me that I had to let out. Enter Slipknot. I feel fucking great. You don't get that kind of shit from Radiohead.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 21:08
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I dunno. Maybe it's a right place, right time kind of thing. I hung out with the right people and lived the right lifestyle at 12-13 years old,
and sometimes still do. And when I'm feeling down in the dumps and fucking could rip somebodys head off I always go back to Slipknot. There's just something about that band, man. I went through some shit today (or I suppose the last few days) with a girl and I was feeling like fuck. Got some anger built up inside me that I had to let out. Enter Slipknot. I feel fucking great. You don't get that kind of shit from Radiohead.

I do from their song Creep... even if everyone will now mock me for saying that. Probably the other song that can do that for me is National Anthem.

But yes you are right, they don't enter anger emotional ground much.

Nirvana is my go to anger band.

For me personally (not a slight against Slipknot or you), Slipknot has this faux anger thing going on, so it actually just makes me laugh instead of me actually commiserating in anger.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2017 21:26
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
badseed wrote:

I do from their song Creep... even if everyone will now mock me for saying that. Probably the other song that can do that for me is National Anthem.

For me personally (not a slight against Slipknot or you), Slipknot has this faux anger thing going on, so it actually just makes me laugh instead of me actually commiserating in anger.

radiohead has some great pissed off music.

Moon Shapes Puddle:

Ful Stop "why should i be good if you're not?!?!?"

Hail to the Thief:

2+2=5 "you've not been paying attention! paying attention! paying attention!"
Drunken Punchup At A Wedding (No, No, No, No, No) "hypocrite! opportunist! don't infect me with your poison!"
    Myxomatosis "no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars"

In Rainbows B-Sides:

Bangers N Mash that friggin guitar line is pissy as a gucci little piggy, speaking of which

OFF WITH HIS HEAD MAN OFF WITH HIS HEAD MAN
      WHY DON'T YOU REMEMBER MY NAME!!!

anyway, B-Sides got more too. or you can turn to early Pablo-Bend Radiohead, where Thm was genuinely pissed off quite a bit.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2017 06:32
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
badseed wrote:

Moon Shapes Puddle:

Hail to the Thief:

Drunken Punchup At A Wedding (No, No, No, No, No) "hypocrite! opportunist! don't infect me with your poison!"

In Rainbows B-Sides:

Bangers N Mash that friggin guitar line is pissy as a gucci little piggy, speaking of which

anyway, B-Sides got more too. or you can turn to early Pablo-Bend Radiohead, where Thm was genuinely pissed off quite a bit.

Oh the lyrics for sure, but it's sung often in this dry English way as to not really show any emotion. I suppose that's what I'm talking about. A raw emotional vocal performance. As much as I like Radiohead, I often feel their vocals don't have much dynamic range when it comes to emotion. The emotion stays within this range - it's beautiful - it's dark - it's musically amazing what he does with his voice - but emotionally, he really stays in a certain limited range.

I really do think, as much crap as I'll get for saying this, Creep is his most emotionally charged vocal performance.

I thought the music to National Anthem was very emotionally charged in a frustrated/angry way. Lyrics/vocals less so.

The song at the end of Hail to the Thief is possibly another decent emotionally charged vocal performance.

I know you or someone will say his vocals are full of emotion. I'm not saying they aren't. I am just saying Thom's no Kurt Cobain or Billie Corgan when it comes to emotional range.

And maybe it's cause I'm not English. Maybe there's emotional subtleties I'm not understanding. But that's exactly my arguement - it's a limited range with possibly some subtleties.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2017 07:02
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
craola wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
badseed wrote:

Moon Shapes Puddle:

Hail to the Thief:

In Rainbows B-Sides:

Oh the lyrics for sure, but it's sung often in this dry English way as to not really show any emotion. I suppose that's what I'm talking about. A raw emotional vocal performance. As much as I like Radiohead, I often feel their vocals don't have much dynamic range when it comes to emotion. The emotion stays within this range - it's beautiful - it's dark - it's musically amazing what he does with his voice - but emotionally, he really stays in a certain limited range.

I really do think, as much crap as I'll get for saying this, Creep is his most emotionally charged vocal performance.

I thought the music to National Anthem was very emotionally charged in a frustrated/angry way. Lyrics/vocals less so.

The song at the end of Hail to the Thief is possibly another decent emotionally charged vocal performance.

I know you or someone will say his vocals are full of emotion. I'm not saying they aren't. I am just saying Thom's no Kurt Cobain or Billie Corgan when it comes to emotional range.

And maybe it's cause I'm not English. Maybe there's emotional subtleties I'm not understanding. But that's exactly my arguement - it's a limited range with possibly some subtleties.

Well, to some extent even Thm Yorke agrees with you. From the New York Times:

Quote:
"It annoys me how pretty my voice is," Mr. Yorke says. "That sounds incredibly immodest, but it annoys me how polite it can sound when perhaps what I'm singing is deeply acidic."

Now, with all due respect, I disagree with both you and Thm, but I can understand where you're coming from. I've always felt Kurt Cobain's emotional pallet was rather stale, while I find Thm's range to go from depressed to heartache to soothing chill to snarky and sarcastic to cold and heartless to etc. - perhaps all negative emotions... I can't think of any jubilant Thm, but I hear rage in his voice plenty.

i think the emotional range accurately reflects my experiences. when thm's angry, his anger is seething, but it's pointed. it's not erratic out of control scream your face off lunatic, but i've never been a shred the wallpaper type of piss ant myself, and so i can't relate to the kurt cobains of self-destructive rah-rah. thm? he's snarky. he lets his wrath burn you like a cigarette butt rather than a forest fire.

granted, I've listened to pretty much everything they've released three hundred plus times (plus all those bootlegs and leaks and yada), learned half the songs on guitar and feel an emotional connection to the music that thoroughly soaks my biases in a waterfall of hallelujah. so there's that. again, thm agrees with you, i think.

but Radiohead were "that band" to me... those artists who seem to understand the human experience in concert to what i've experienced. the loss. the hurt. the anger. the frustration. the confusion. the loneliness. the hopelessness. the damn it i shot myself in the foot. again.

they probably still are that band to me...

ahem, as are the church, bjork, cocteau, cloud cult, et al.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 08/04/2017 10:29
  • Post subject:
Thom's voice is incredibly emotional. Yes it is a bit more on the gentle side but he can sound very angry, even menacing. The first part of Paranoid Android is sung in this very threatening tone and the scream from Climbing Up The Walls is one of the scariest things you'll ever hear.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2017 04:44
  • Post subject:
I don't disagree with either of you.

But show me a song where thoms voice cracks in screaming from anger? Not that it has to - but even screaming in anger. The closest thing I can think of is Creep and the final song on hail to the thief. I haven't really done a full analysis recently of their music, but that's really all I can think of. Lyrically of course there's some in your face stuff.

And to be fair, I think that's very English. I mean Led Zeppelin kind of breaks the mold with that, but most English bands are very proper. I can't think of a famous English equivalent of Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain... maybe johnny rotten? Probably a slew from metal. Idk... I just don't know any of them... and if it metal... it probably is a proper scream - not a true anger scream.

Have I mentioned how much I love how the English use the word proper. It's a proper pub, that one. They all the finest ale.

I'm not sure if you caught what I meant - I think he sings with a full range of emotion - it just is a limited range. It's a polite range of emotions. And there's nothing wrong with that.

There's happy, melancholy, depressive, drunk/high, suicidal, silly, pensive, playful, political, religious, murderous rage, psychological and sexual sides of kurt cobain's emotions in his music. I know most of what people hear is just screaming - but likely means you haven't heard as much Nirvana (It's not that hard - it's like 4 studio albums).

Wait a second... maybe we just said the same thing and they both have their limited range.... nah... I still think Thom's a bit too proper for a strong case of extreme emotional range.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/08/2017 19:17
  • Post subject:
Tad gossipy, but Joanna Newsom and Andy Samberg just had their first child. Kept it hush hush.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 08/08/2017 21:09
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I don't disagree with either of you.

But show me a song where thoms voice cracks in screaming from anger? Not that it has to - but even screaming in anger. The closest thing I can think of is Creep and the final song on hail to the thief. I haven't really done a full analysis recently of their music, but that's really all I can think of. Lyrically of course there's some in your face stuff.

And to be fair, I think that's very English. I mean Led Zeppelin kind of breaks the mold with that, but most English bands are very proper. I can't think of a famous English equivalent of Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain... maybe johnny rotten? Probably a slew from metal. Idk... I just don't know any of them... and if it metal... it probably is a proper scream - not a true anger scream.

Have I mentioned how much I love how the English use the word proper. It's a proper pub, that one. They all the finest ale.

I'm not sure if you caught what I meant - I think he sings with a full range of emotion - it just is a limited range. It's a polite range of emotions. And there's nothing wrong with that.

There's happy, melancholy, depressive, drunk/high, suicidal, silly, pensive, playful, political, religious, murderous rage, psychological and sexual sides of kurt cobain's emotions in his music. I know most of what people hear is just screaming - but likely means you haven't heard as much Nirvana (It's not that hard - it's like 4 studio albums).

Wait a second... maybe we just said the same thing and they both have their limited range.... nah... I still think Thom's a bit too proper for a strong case of extreme emotional range.

I don't think he's too proper but he's certainly whining way too much! I find more dignity in Kurt Cobain singing..
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 08/08/2017 23:52
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

He's never screaming in anger but his voice defintely cracks and sound imperfect on occasion. He does scream in Climbing Up The Walls and there is one wail in You that could compare to Creep.

Also one of my favourite Radiohead moments is the voice crack in Fake Plastic Trees. When he sings after the last chorus: "If I could be, who you wanted" and his voice cracks on be

Link

3:58 here

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website