View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2017 21:58
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Thoughts?

Link

Wow. As a video, this does bring up good points. However, I feel this video is somewhat hypocritical as well as being cynical. As an intro, comparing an album that was revered in the 60's to hit songs from today is like comparing the intelligence of a scientist to a common goer. Feels pretty unfair. With that, I would use songs that were on records that never got on pop radio. Hell, comparing a song that I don't know was on the radio or on Billboards Hot 100 in the 60's to the pop songs of the 2010's feels pretty off. Of course a song that was made for the general masses will look inferior to an album song. I could say that to any album song I deem good from any decade. Also the songwriter thing was dumb. I mean the King of Pop had Quincy Jones to help him back in the day. Hell, a lot of pop acts back in the day had people helping them. The big thing is we will gravitate towards trends we like in radio. I enjoyed some funk, r&b, hip hop and few electronic songs that got on pop radio from any decade.
But, the bigger thing is we as people are no longer relegated to the tides of pop radio. With what we have now, we can choose to listen to whatever we want that appeals to our personal enjoyment. We have Sirius as well as Youtube to allow us to comb out what we enjoyed and add it to the Ipod or get a physical cd or vinyl.
I feel we can have a bigger discussion on this. We should have this in the forums on its own link. Could last several days or hours. I mean I could go on way more.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2017 22:25
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:

Wow. As a video, this does bring up good points. However, I feel this video is somewhat hypocritical as well as being cynical. As an intro, comparing an album that was revered in the 60's to hit songs from today is like comparing the intelligence of a scientist to a common goer. Feels pretty unfair. With that, I would use songs that were on records that never got on pop radio. Hell, comparing a song that I don't know was on the radio or on Billboards Hot 100 in the 60's to the pop songs of the 2010's feels pretty off. Of course a song that was made for the general masses will look inferior to an album song. I could say that to any album song I deem good from any decade. Also the songwriter thing was dumb. I mean the King of Pop had Quincy Jones to help him back in the day. Hell, a lot of pop acts back in the day had people helping them. The big thing is we will gravitate towards trends we like in radio. I enjoyed some funk, r&b, hip hop and few electronic songs that got on pop radio from any decade.

I agree with your line of thinking (he's comparing crap music of today with decent music of yesterday). But I also disagree. I think the stats he's quoting is always comparing billboard hits of yesterday with billboard hits of today. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen other similar studies. They are "attempting" to compare apples with apples and those are the results they find. Are there albums today that have great lyrical content, aren't overly compressed, and fantastic timbre, absolutely. I don't think he's saying there isn't.

Luigii wrote:

But, the bigger thing is we as people are no longer relegated to the tides of pop radio. With what we have now, we can choose to listen to whatever we want that appeals to our personal enjoyment. We have Sirius as well as Youtube to allow us to comb out what we enjoyed and add it to the Ipod or get a physical cd or vinyl.
I feel we can have a bigger discussion on this. We should have this in the forums on its own link. Could last several days or hours. I mean I could go on way more.

Not a bad idea to have a new thread.

And I agree there are so many more options we have today.

I suppose the argument he's making isn't that ALL music is crap today, rather that pop music has seriously declined in quality and mostly so that the record companies can maintain their profit margins in a changing musical economy.

But yes - overall those were my thoughts too. Super glad there's sites like BEA with users who are less like me and more like all you wonderful people so I have a source to discover music that has actual musical value.

Another issue he brought up, which we've discussed a lot on BEA is art. He claims that actually the hit makers are destroying true art because it is reduced down to a formula geared toward making money. This, he indirectly argues, is not true art. Thoughts on that?

Also - if this does turn into a longer discussion, I'll switch it over to a thread and maybe actually ask questions/help recap video better.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2017 23:20
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

Another issue he brought up, which we've discussed a lot on BEA is art. He claims that actually the hit makers are destroying true art because it is reduced down to a formula geared toward making money. This, he indirectly argues, is not true art. Thoughts on that?

In my interpretation, I look it in both ways. Anything in this world can be made as a product. And could be the hottest shit during the year it was made and get on the hot 100. But compared to the yesteryear, we as individuals have the internet to tell if it was a good song. I'm 22, and not only were there hit songs that I personally hate like Anaconda and The Time(Dirty Bit). But there have been hit songs from this decade I have adore like Fuck You and Latch. And there is a difference between the selection I have made. The former were songs that I didn't enjoy due to being just noise and not appealing to me. While the latter were hits that I felt had passion and heart. But that was my interpretation. I will agree that most songs on the pop charts this year have been similar. But then again, this is the modern trend. And there are trends I don't care for like boring trap or edm music or snooze ready post grunge. This video in its own forum just has gold mine written on it.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/15/2017 10:12
  • Post subject:
Seeing Mr. Fingers was a quasi-religious experience that I would recommend to anyone. Also loved what I saw of Helena Hauff, Move D, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Ben UFO, and Theo Parrish (even if the sound for Theo was godawful). Sunfall was solid, managed to "negotiate" the three-hour queues, and danced my ass off. The general feeling online seems to be that it was a failure, but I'd definitely go back.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 08/16/2017 21:58
  • Post subject:
capitalism vs. communism

...or maybe they aren't so different after all
But seriously, I just found out about Chinese Football and I think they're ok. Feel free to ignore my stupid and inaccurate joke.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2017 22:02
  • Post subject:
...Wait, we're still discussing the evil brain-destroying powers of pop music in 2017?

(Then again, we just had Neo-Nazis in the news this past weekend, so maybe hardcore rockism will be returning too :/)

EDIT: Sorry Seth, that wasn't very nice of me. However, it's hard for me to take these wide-reaching arguments in the video as anything more than ignoramt sophomoricism. Obviously you can make complaints about how the sausage gets made, but attributing it to the decline of musical civilization is being ignorant of how much "artistic" stuff is released and successful.

Last edited by Applerill on 08/16/2017 22:28; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2017 22:25
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
...Wait, we're still discussing the evil brain-destroying powers of pop music in 2017?

(Then again, we just had Neo-Nazis in the news this past weekend, so maybe hardcore rockism will be returning too :/)

...Wait, you didn't take any time to actually add any real conversation to something you didn't even take the time to fully understand? No - This applies to rock music too.

Then again, I guess that's exactly how the internet usually works in 2017.

And fuck you for putting me anywhere near Nazism.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2017 22:30
  • Post subject:
I'm so sorry, Seth, I promise I didn't mean for any of that to be musical, and I really should've watched the video before commenting :/ (even if these sorts of videos are painful for me, especially when at Whole Foods).

I'll watch it tonight when I get home and try to give it an honest take. Once again, I've learned to be reallly wary of these arguments, but I know you're a smart guy, Seth, and you deserve more than my ignorance.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/16/2017 22:33
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
capitalism vs. communism

...or maybe they aren't so different after all
But seriously, I just found out about Chinese Football and I think they're ok. Feel free to ignore my stupid and inaccurate joke.

If you hit play on both at the same time, it doesn't sound to shabby.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2017 22:39
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I'm so sorry, Seth, I promise I didn't mean for any of that to be musical, and I really should've watched the video before commenting :/ (even if these sorts of videos are painful for me, especially when at Whole Foods).

I'll watch it tonight when I get home and try to give it an honest take. Once again, I've learned to be reallly wary of these arguments, but I know you're a smart guy, Seth, and you deserve more than my ignorance.

I possibly overacted, but you did strike the jugular comparing my purpose of sharing this with rockism and neo-nazis. I think you still are being a bit snarky/sarcastic with me, but that's ok.

Having said that, I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on how the quality of all music (hip-hop, disco, pop, rock, etc.) has declined (according to the studies in the video). And then of course there's the obvious, well if you look hard enough, it hasn't at all argument, which is totally valid - but I think the question is why has the most popular music (not pop, but popular), become "dumbed" down in timbre, lyrical complexity, and loudness as the video argues. Mr. Zappa has some good points if you have the time in the first half of that video.
  • Visit poster's website