I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2017 22:40
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
capitalism vs. communism

...or maybe they aren't so different after all
But seriously, I just found out about Chinese Football and I think they're ok. Feel free to ignore my stupid and inaccurate joke.

If you hit play on both at the same time, it doesn't sound to shabby.

hehe.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2017 03:13
  • Post subject:
Okay, as promised, Seth, listening now....

-Hey, this guy looks just like Alelsupreme. Maybe this will be a good accomplishment of my time.
-Starts with lionizing of the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper, ignoring that the album has had an enormous backlash over the past decade, and that the pretenses of it being a "concept album" being a little embarrassing in retrospect.
-Transitions to Justin Bieber's My World 2.0 as the Horseboy of the Apocalypse, despite the fact that "Somebody to Love" is one of the most majestic pieces of music I've ever heard in my life.
-Use of "Britney Spears" as a pejorative and "Bob Dylan" as a universal symbol of genius.
-Citation of 2012 "timbres" study very well debunked by The Quietus, with the "loudness war" arguments being the same ones that lead to my joke with DBZ about Egg Fry No. 2 being the objectively greatest album ever made. (Fun fact: I had an Audio Engineering professor last summer who brought up this study on the first week of class, and it became a running joke in our Skype group to call him "Professor Whitey". Even Gowi joined in, and it was a lot of fun) http://thequietus.com/articles/10904-sc...music-flaw
-Associating complexity with uniqueness of sound, not realizing how much things like electronic music historically have thrived off minimalism.
-Using the Millennial Whoop as a symptom of this horrible homogeny instead of wondering if it could be a sign of Clear Channel Pop being an authentic subgenre of its own.
-Disdain for escapism during times of crisis, which is a particularly embarrassing thing to complain about when there are literally white supremacists running people over with cars in America. I know this was probably published years ago when we had at least a shred of hope with Obama, but I find it unmistakably privilege nowadays to assume people want familiarity, even though this very need for repetition and routine in times of crisis is exactly what led to the technological innovations of disco and house.
-(Insert Queen vs. Beyonce meme here, ignoring that the average Nicki Minaj verse is much more sophisticated than anything Paul or Ringo ever wrote]
-Wow, only a few people writing the songs? Fuck this shit, it's almost like we have the Brill Building all over again, AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!
-Darn, I'm only 8 minutes in, so I'm gonna skip to the halfway point. This is too much ignorance to not cheat at least a little bit.
-THEY ACTUALLY USE THE WORD LOUDNESS WAR!!! I really hope that this dude finally namedrops Egg Fry No. 2, because that isn't even in our database yet, and it's the fucking objectively greatest album of all time.
-Yay ableism as a symbol for compression, ignoring that the explanation that he uses is exactly what makes Portishead's Dummy such a masterpiece.
-"Dynamic range compression is an absolute TRAVESTY when it comes to the art of making music", ignoring the way producers like AG Cook use it as an actual compositional tool. As I implied with the Clear Channel Pop comment, complaining about dynamic range compression in Pro Tools today is like complaining about Dylan going electric in 1986.
-"Pretty face" means "not talented". Nope, no sexism there.
-Product placement and saturation is bad, making you end up liking something that's ACTUALLY OBJECTIVELY BAD.

...Yeah, I really don't mean ANY of these criticisms against you personally, Seth, but this is some of the worst rockist propaganda I've ever seen. I'm really happy it doesn't resort to any overt racism or misogyny, but all the other dated arguments are there, and they all are so tiring to me in 2017 (which was all I meant by the Nazi joke BTW; that maybe what has been nearly exterminated from music discourse in music nerds under 30 could be returning.) In fact, it seems like Youtube and the Daily Mail are the only places I could imagine hearing these arguments today; I can't even see Rolling Stone believing in these long-debunked myths, much less a Pitchfork or Fader. And it's the acceptance that these boogiemen don't exist that allows artists like Grimes and Carly Rae Jepsen and GFOTY to use these elements of pop to make some of the most acclaimed music today.
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2017 03:26
  • Post subject:
I assume we're all here because we enjoy listening to music. Does it really matter if someone else gets their enjoyment from Radiohead or Katy Perry or Bob Dylan?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2017 03:40
  • Post subject:
creator wrote:
I assume we're all here because we enjoy listening to music. Does it really matter if someone else gets their enjoyment from Radiohead or Katy Perry or Bob Dylan?

That's what I want to know. Personally, I have songs I adore from all three, but it annoys me when artists like the latter (strangely almost always white and male) are used to contextualize that toxic "dumbing down" narrative of societal collapse.
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2017 04:32
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
That's what I want to know. Personally, I have songs I adore from all three, but it annoys me when artists like the latter (strangely almost always white and male) are used to contextualize that toxic "dumbing down" narrative of societal collapse.

It just seems like unecessary controversy. We can spend hours talking about societal collapse, but I don't think it's going to involve Taylor Swift's album going platinum.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/20/2017 20:39
  • Post subject:
Got myself a DJ gig in Bristol next Sunday, alternating with some dude from Los Campesinos and warming up for Ultimate Painting, Beach Fossils and the rather smashing Girl Ray. Indie-pop heaven - if any BEAers fancy coming I'll do requests (don't forget it'll be in Sarah Records country). Somewhat psyched...
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/22/2017 01:58
  • Post subject:
Huge congrats! That's a decent show to grab a dj gig at if you're just getting back into it. Just recently discovered Beach Fossils and found that they're a very nice, more summer-y alternative to listening to Suicide.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 08/22/2017 18:49
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Got myself a DJ gig in Bristol next Sunday

The 27th?
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/22/2017 18:58
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
The 27th?

Yep. Here's where it's at
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/22/2017 19:40
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Somewhat psyched...

tell me you're downplaying this. this is awesome, bro. best wishes. i wish i could be there. i'm more or less on the opposite side of the planet.