Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 934, 935, 936 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 02:23
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
https://www.vox.com/2018/4/16/17244186/kendrick-lamar-pulitzer-prize-damn-first-rapper

Breaking with historic norms, Kendrick just got a Pulitzer for DAMN. Seems in part like another example of a media institution jumping on the Kendrick bandwagon late to the party. GKMC or TPAB would have been much more deserving of such an honor.

Yeah TPAB is much more deserving. Regardless, I'm glad DAMN won it. I can't think of anyone more worthy of being the first rapper to win the award than Kendrick Lamar.

Enjoyed Damn. But TPAB definitely should have gotten this back in 2015/2016. Felt like that record was more lyrical over Damn.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 02:27
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
King Pulitzer Prize Winner Kendrick. It's pretty cool, but like everyone else said, I'd rather have seen it go to To Pimp A Butterfly.

Mind you, this was their 'criteria' Laughing

Quote:
I don’t know specifically what the piece was, but in this case they were considering a piece of music they felt had hip-hop influences and said, “Well if we’re considering a piece of music that has hip-hop influences, why aren’t we considering hip-hop?” And someone said, “That’s exactly what we should do.” And then someone said, “We should be considering Kendrick Lamar” and the group said “absolutely.” So then, right then, they decided to listen to the entire album and decided “This is it.”

Which sounds like just about anyone is qualified to be on the panel. For this to be the first non-classical or non-jazz album to win is a little silly... I don't think these are particularly people who enjoy music.

Haha, that quote is utterly ridiculous. I'm sure that panel is the same as any (for the Oscars etc.), full of old out of touch "academics" with little knowledge outside their own proclivities.

I guess I'm glad he won though. Will this give some credence to hip hop for people that still might consider it to be a lesser art form? It can only be positive as far as I'm concerned, even if it is a bit misguided.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 02:42
  • Post subject:
this win is great for making horrible people lose their minds. the stuff being catalogued on this twitter is insane

http://www.twitter.com/NewMusicDrama/st...3731898370
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/17/2018 03:13
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
this win is great for making horrible people lose their minds. the stuff being catalogued on this twitter is insane

http://www.twitter.com/NewMusicDrama/st...3731898370

Oh dear Laughing

It is making for a funny, albeit scary, read I suppose. Can't believe how many people don't understand that classical composers aren't working alone.

But yeah, at the end of the day it's pretty awesome to see Lamar walking away with the award, especially because of how unique the choice is, but it's clear the jury has a very limited scope of music. It seems they just scavenge whatever American classical music they can find released that year and give it a prize. Great to see them finally opening their eyes. Took them what... only 60 years to recognize jazz existed?

King Kendrick for Nobel Prize 2042, just you watch.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/07/2018 08:07
  • Post subject:

Link

Still not seeing any thoughts on this? It's made a pretty big crash.

I'm still not sure what to make of it.

My SO absolutely idolizes Donald Glover, I tease her because I'd been really getting into Neo-Soul and Funk and she wouldn't pay it any mind until 'Awaken, My Love!' and it's the only entry to the genre she'll listen to. The only person with a car at Uni used to have Gambino in the shuffle and every time it came on she would comment how 'crazy' it was that she had such gansta rap music coming on inbetween Ed Sheeran and what would people think if they looked in the Ford KA and saw it was some middle class white kids.

I don't know what it is about Donald Glover but he sure as hell has appeal. Maybe because he's already a familiar face on television. He's always been a convincing imitator of the music he obviously loves, but I don't think he's done anything interesting or masterful yet despite the seemingly endless circle jerks about him as an artist.

I don't think this new song is any exception, but it might still be his best work. The combination of a trap flow and funk beats is a slick twist I've not heard before. Glover actually sounds cool and collected, it's definitely a more mature sound for him. The song and video are obviously designed to be heavy statements, although the actually statement is pretty flat (gun crime is bad guys whew).

Glover absolutely surrounds himself with black imagery and culture in the video, and in the music he has just about every relevant black Hip Hop artist ad libbing somewhere in the background.

What's weird is that his appeal and message half a decade ago was how 'black' he wasn't. Rather than making that his 'thing' like Lil Dicky or Hopsin, it seems like it was a big insecurity of his. Suddenly he's looking like a member of Sly and the Family Stone making black social commentary. Feels like he's trying pretty damn hard to do a 'To Pimp A Butterfly': that penultimate shot wants to be a scene from 'King Kunta' so badly.

I saw someone comment in regards to his SNL performance 'I want be as comfortable with myself as he is'. I don't know how anyone can look at Glover's career and not see a man desperately trying to impress his peers and his fans and be completely unsure of who he is and what he is. If 'This Is America' is a result from that, then honestly I totally prefer when he's not being himself. Because admittedly if anyone else had written and produced it, I'd probably really enjoy it.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/18/2018 21:37
  • Post subject:
A month without activity???? What is this???
----

Anyway, hearsay currently for the outcome, but XXXTentaction has reportedly been shot and possibly killed.

EDIT: Sheriff's Dept. says he's died.

Last edited by Hayden on 06/18/2018 21:44; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2018 21:40
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
----

Anyway, hearsay currently for the outcome, but XXXTentaction has reportedly been shot and possibly killed.

Oh Shit! That ain't good.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/18/2018 21:44
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Hayden wrote:
----

He's been pronounced dead.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2018 21:47
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Luigii wrote:
Hayden wrote:
----

He's been pronounced dead.

Well fuck. The new age of the hip hop artists from the internet are dropping like flies. First Peer now XXX.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2018 21:51
  • Post subject:
So, with him and Lil Peep out of the game, I guess Emo Rap is done for?
  • Visit poster's website