Musical random chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 940, 941, 942 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/31/2018 19:52
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Ever think about the cosmic injustice that Joanna Newsom has sold fewer records than her husband?

No. But now I will.

They make a cute couple. So at least the universe gave us that.
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/31/2018 20:08
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Like cuz they are too harsh on criticizing it or because they minimize it's value or they like crap music... this really could be interpreted 50 ways, care to elaborate?

I think that most people say they really like music but actually only a minority are really curious and willing to challenge themselves by exploring things they don't already know. In general, I think people like coming back to the kind of music they know will distract, entertain or otherwise help them get through the day. Particularly after the teenage years and early 20s when music and identity often go hand in hand and trying new things is more exciting (maybe less so nowadays)

I don't think many people want to broaden their minds or learn something about humanity by listening to music. Maybe this is a shame, but maybe not. I know a lot of reasonably happy and well-adjusted people you don't listen to a lot of intetesting music, so it might not be so important. Of course, there are still a lot of good reasons to listen to a diverse and stimulating range of music. It's just not for everyone d'oh! .
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2018 22:23
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Does anybody else ever question if mass society hates more music than they enjoy.

My classmates tend to shit on the music I listen to when they creep on my Spotify, so sometimes I get that impression.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2018 22:24
  • Post subject:

Venice by Fennesz

I'd like to announce that this glitch album is so fucking beautiful. That is all.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2018 22:43
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Does anybody else ever question if mass society hates more music than they enjoy.

I think there is a big difference between actively hating something and generally not knowing about a topic. I'd say that most people are content to know and enjoy maybe 100 albums worth of music. I say albums worth, because I don't think many people would consider whole albums to be their favorites anymore. They don't need to seek anything else out, because they are content.

Consider this observation that I've made numerous times when I've worked security at events. It may be an observation that you've made yourself.

At one of the arenas, there are 10 different doors that a patron can enter to get into the venue. Most people park on the south side and approach the venue from that direction. That means that the first door they see will be the southernmost door. Since it's the first door they see, then that's the door they go to. More people see others lining up at this door and figure that this is the entrance. Throughout the night, this door will always have more people lined up outside of it compared to the others. The northernmost door will remain relatively free of traffic, even at peak entrance times. Even though they could walk another 100 feet to another line, and get in the venue faster, these people have already made a choice and they plan to stick with it.

This is a long-winded way of saying that people will always glob onto whatever the first thing is that comes their way. Since a lot people's first exposure to music is on the radio, then that's what they'll fixate on. Whether that be pop, classic rock, or rap. And that's fine for most. They don't need anything else, and they are content.
  • Visit poster's website
gloriousgoo

• Posted: 11/02/2018 23:46
  • Post subject:
I also think it's a bit unfair to imply that having a diverse palate in music is objectively better than having a true passion for one specific genre or movement. It's art, anyone can enjoy it and no one way to enjoy it is better than any other way. At the end of the day, it's nothing more than entertainment.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/03/2018 09:28
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:

Venice by Fennesz

I'd like to announce that this glitch album is so fucking beautiful. That is all.

Well duh
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2018 11:54
  • Post subject:

Home, Like Noplace Is There by The Hotelier

Autumn in an Emo album
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 11/03/2018 13:04
  • Post subject:
me when I plunged head first into Aviary
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/18/2018 16:31
  • Post subject:
I'm listening to Primal Scream's Give out but Don't Give Up: The Memphis Recordings, which has only recently seen the light of day after 25 years in the vaults. It's way, way better than the album they actually released at the time (the songs were remixed by some big time producer to sound more commercially viable). On the Memphis versions, that muscle shoals sound is very much in evidence. I never realised Primal Scream could sound so soulful.

A documentary about the making of this is on the BBC iplayer.