Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 952, 953, 954 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2019 22:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-songs-of-the-2010s/

Meh?

that list is about as meh as it gets. it's all subjective, but for me personally, that was something like "a dozen great tunes and 188 songs you don't ever want to hear again".
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2019 23:42
  • Post subject:
so I seen this pitchfork list and I have to ask, what are they even doin? fuckin list is bullshit, no baby shark, no lumineers - hey!, no simpsonswave. were they even paying attention to music this decade?
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/08/2019 10:10
  • Post subject:
Feel like Hayden is bang on with the ommissions and annoying multiple entries for Drake etc.

No Father John Misty-are you kidding me? Can't believe Happy by Pharrell Williams is also not there (unless I scrolled past it).

Also Pitchfork, clearly it's now time to be discussing the best tracks of the noughties not the tens!
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/08/2019 14:12
  • Post subject:
https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an...the-2010s/

Well, it's still quite Drake-Nicki-Minaj-Frank-Ocean-Beyonce-Solange-Rihanna-core, but I think it's a smidge better than their song list. Order is bizarre all over the board though. And hell, why not throw a couple random country albums into the bottom half.

Definitely a surprise #1. Not a bad surprise, but still.

They're there, but not a clue why Pitchfork lost the mojo for RTJ all of a sudden. Or Nick Cave, Sun Kil Moon, James Blake, Deafheaven, Darkside, and Swans. Godspeed You! Black Emperor had an album worth making the list that didn't either. It seems 'un-fun' albums might be out of style with them Think

EDIT: They called Benji a 2010s landmark in Sufjan's write-up, and then didn't include it Neutral
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2019 14:34
  • Post subject:
just finished reading!!! wow, definitely some surprises, and yes main take-away is the vibes they went for re: beyonce/etc. i was so happy when i saw apocalypse, girl so high and then sad when blood bitch didnt make it at all! also no bloom on the list? woof

and the only julia holter that made the list was the only one not to get BNM in the last 8 years? wild wild wild

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/08/2019 14:48
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:

and the only julia holter that made the list was the only one not to get BNM in the last 8 years? wild wild wild

Yeah... they really should've given that a 9-something. But clearly their ratings were thrown out the window for the list. There's a fair handful of 9+'s missing, and that 1975 album only got a 6.5. Plus (spoilers? is that a thing?) Rihanna's above GKMC, so... yeah. Also, three Beyonce albums in the top 50 is just... irresponsible.

Bloom's definitely an odd omission, but the biggest for me has to be Atrocity Exhibition (and maybe Psychic).
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/08/2019 20:33
  • Post subject:
So, they released both lists in October, when a bunch of artists are still yet to release material, but they included an album from 2009, because it fits their later year "woke" pop-centric direction (3 Beyonce albums in the top 50, eh). Carefully making their lists void of any "controversial" artists (Kozelek). Thanks I hate it.
Also hate the top 3, but at least they're albums they praised over the years. Other minor disagreements like.. only one Angel Olsen album, but not My Woman, one Julia Holter album and not the one I'd expect, and no Atrocity Exhibition.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/09/2019 03:55
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
So, they released both lists in October, when a bunch of artists are still yet to release material, but they included an album from 2009, because it fits their later year "woke" pop-centric direction (3 Beyonce albums in the top 50, eh). Carefully making their lists void of any "controversial" artists (Kozelek). Thanks I hate it.
Also hate the top 3, but at least they're albums they praised over the years. Other minor disagreements like.. only one Angel Olsen album, but not My Woman, one Julia Holter album and not the one I'd expect, and no Atrocity Exhibition.

That statement triggers me, as I'm unlike other BEAers I think you need to be #cancelled for that -----ist provacation.

And hey, you can criticize the numbskulls at hitchdork all you want, but do, DO NOT soil Simpsonswave.

Also if Kitty is not on these I have no interest in reading thanks
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/09/2019 03:57
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
so I seen this pitchfork list and I have to ask, what are they even doin? fuckin list is bullshit, no baby shark, no lumineers - hey!, no simpsonswave. were they even paying attention to music this decade?

Don't forget poppy, PsY or the Pato girls
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/09/2019 07:55
  • Post subject:
Pitchfork also seem to really love Vampire Weekend in the tens. Relatively poor showings for Radiohead, Arcade Fire and The National. It's not totally wrong I guess- just seems a bit out of balance to me.