Musical random chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 917, 918, 919 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
janetjakcson

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2017 03:15
  • Post subject: Whitney Houston
It's only 11:14 PM here but it might as well be August 9th already...happy birthday Whitney!!! Mr. Green Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2017 17:02
  • Post subject:
I DON'T GET THE APPEAL OF RUSH. I THINK THEY SUCK BUT I REALLY WANT TO LIKE THEM. ERNEST CLINE LOVES RUSH, AND I WANT SO BADLY TO BE MORE LIKE ERNEST CLINE, BUT I DON'T LOVE RUSH. WHAT IS THE APPEAL OF RUSH? AM I APPROACHING RUSH WRONG?

is firm corn merrier under gifts of less important love? we wonder....
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/10/2017 17:26
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
I DON'T GET THE APPEAL OF RUSH. I THINK THEY SUCK BUT I REALLY WANT TO LIKE THEM. ERNEST CLINE LOVES RUSH, AND I WANT SO BADLY TO BE MORE LIKE ERNEST CLINE, BUT I DON'T LOVE RUSH. WHAT IS THE APPEAL OF RUSH? AM I APPROACHING RUSH WRONG?

Nah bruh, they just suck.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2017 21:12
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:

You have to like prog rock. As a bassist, I really like Geddy's bass tone and work, but most of the music I could never listen to again and not be missing out on anything. I feel this way about most prog rock. Van Halen totally in same boat, except I actually very much dislike his tone and playing.

I think everyone has bands they wish they liked, but think they are crap. Rush is a fantastic candidate. The Who, for me, is another band who has a great bassist, maybe like a song or two of theirs, but not a single album is worth listening all the way through for me. As terrible as The Guess Who are, I much prefer listening to their greatest hits than The Who's. They have a lot of clout and blow a lot of smoke, but when it comes down to it, The Who sucks.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2017 22:44
  • Post subject:
Honestly think Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and U2 are all overrated. I don't hate any of the three but i don't love them. Now Kanye West I think Sucks and I do like hip hop/ rap.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2017 00:51
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
Honestly think Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and U2 are all overrated. I don't hate any of the three but i don't love them. Now Kanye West I think Sucks and I do like hip hop/ rap.

I go in and out with agreeing with this. I think we too often glorify something and just about nothing deserves true glorification, except for the musical experience. The authors aren't important - it's the human experience that is.

There are times when U2, Led Zeppelin, and The Doors have transcended the human experience with me to a greater good/deep kick, and other times when it's like - wtf those artists are shallow and don't have the depth I once thought they did. It's in those moments I realize, it might be me as much as it is them. I'm sure we've all had the "I'm not in the mood for..." feeling, and no matter how great the artistry, we prevent it from bringing us in.

Kanye I think is the greatest offender. I really don't feel like the music he makes or the lyrics are AMAZING - there are silver lining moments, and he deserves a place - where that place is, is hard to say. I will say I've had those transcending moments with Kanye, even if not as deep as say Jimi Hendrix or Killer Mike.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 08/13/2017 10:30
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
The authors aren't important - it's the human experience that is.

I'm agreeing with this. We all tend to idolize our favourites when in fact you're not doing them a favour when you think of them as something more than just humans because that leads to unreal expectations most of the time.
Of course some artists just have that special aura and do seem different from the rest of us in some way.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2017 19:33
  • Post subject:
Thoughts?

Link
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/14/2017 19:57
  • Post subject:
It's just a confirmation of an older video interview.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2017 20:21
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
It's just a confirmation of an older video interview.

Link

The day you get rid of that attitude [is the day we solve that problem]. We need to have the attitude of who knows, take a chance!

Paraphrased a bit, but, yeah, totally agree. I love watching Frank Zappa interviews.

The other video talks about not taking chances at all, but going straight to brainwashing/using known musical forms to get people to like it, even if it is garbage.

I think this site doesn't have problems with this - our top 10 of a year isn't the same as billboard, but I thought the concepts discussed in the video were interesting, and more importantly, how do we get real musicians to not give up? It's an uphill battle a mile tall. $500k to $3mil to break into mainstream - that's a huge investment. I'm sure there's other ways. Curious if that kind of cash was spent on Nirvana.
  • Visit poster's website