Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 926, 927, 928 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 02:21
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
If you want to see me be old, play Let it Be or Nevermind.

Why? I guess I'm that guy who wants to know more.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 02:41
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Why? I guess I'm that guy who wants to know more.

It's a lyric by The National, I think from "Don't Swallow The Cap"
Words

• Posted: 09/21/2017 04:00
  • Post subject:
I really need to work on my chart. Anxious
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 04:06
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
It's a lyric by The National, I think from "Don't Swallow The Cap"

Nice catch BayStateoftheHeart!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 04:15
  • Post subject:
Words wrote:
I really need to work on my chart. Anxious

Good luck!

Things I've heard people consider:

1. How to choose the best?
Do I put stuff on my chart because it is acclaimed/historically important, because I like it, or because it really is "objectively" the best (merits). You can do all of those - some realize oh that's only on my chart because of X, Y or Z and I actually don't like it that much - I really only put it on there because it was historically important. Maybe you want that and maybe you don't. dunno - totally up to you, but just something to think about.

2. One album per artist or not?
Some think all 53048540 Beatles albums really do deserve a spot on their chart because they really are all so awesome. Some think they want to give each artist a shot. This was a tough one for me - I did both. When I did my master "discovery/re-assessment" I realized I had over 100 artists with great albums, so that made it easy to do one artist per album. And then I did top 400 albums above an 80 with custom charts to make up the rest.

3. New finds/not really best/stuff I want to share with people vs actually the "best" albums
I don't remember who, but I do remember someone scoffing at the idea of doing a best albums list. My personality does want to hunt for the "best" (whatever that means), but others see the word best and laugh. It's so subjective, why bother? Anyway - some people use their chart really to show discovered/new music and less their actual favorites/best, etc.

I mean by all means do what you want to do. Do or don't let any of this help you... not my intention to persuade, but wanted to help think it through, not only you but for me.... hahaaha... cause I'm still figuring out my methodology.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/21/2017 14:11
  • Post subject:
My chart is pretty much what I want to relisten to most at the time the chart is made. Some albums I've been listening to consistently for almost a decade now, some albums I hear a couple times and recognize facets that will make me want to relisten for a very long time. In the vein of remaining honest to my taste, if I am obsessed with a musician, they will feature in the chart multiple times. This results in a volatile bottom end of rotating entries that represent my fleeting interest that day/week, in volatile movement of newer entries as I continue to relisten again and again, and a stable top quarter as I continue to discover albums that will always have relistening value. The thought behind the chart might be different than someone else's, but the actual observable dynamics are the same (except for the one artist thing, which baffles me).
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 16:50
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Good luck!

Things I've heard people consider:

1. How to choose the best?
Do I put stuff on my chart because it is acclaimed/historically important, because I like it, or because it really is "objectively" the best (merits). You can do all of those - some realize oh that's only on my chart because of X, Y or Z and I actually don't like it that much - I really only put it on there because it was historically important. Maybe you want that and maybe you don't. dunno - totally up to you, but just something to think about.

2. One album per artist or not?
Some think all 53048540 Beatles albums really do deserve a spot on their chart because they really are all so awesome. Some think they want to give each artist a shot. This was a tough one for me - I did both. When I did my master "discovery/re-assessment" I realized I had over 100 artists with great albums, so that made it easy to do one artist per album. And then I did top 400 albums above an 80 with custom charts to make up the rest.

3. New finds/not really best/stuff I want to share with people vs actually the "best" albums
I don't remember who, but I do remember someone scoffing at the idea of doing a best albums list. My personality does want to hunt for the "best" (whatever that means), but others see the word best and laugh. It's so subjective, why bother? Anyway - some people use their chart really to show discovered/new music and less their actual favorites/best, etc.

I mean by all means do what you want to do. Do or don't let any of this help you... not my intention to persuade, but wanted to help think it through, not only you but for me.... hahaaha... cause I'm still figuring out my methodology.

haha. yeah... all of the above and then you realize no one cares (more than you anyway) and you don't need to overthink it. there are thousands of charts here.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 20:28
  • Post subject:
Honestly, when I decide to make my best list I end up choose music that hits me the most and gets the most enjoyment. Regardless if they had historic importance. Sure a record can have 2 to 3 decades worth of history but will it hit you? Probably not. Plus these lists I use to get album that might be neglected and give people an opportunity to find new music. Or to show what you excel in the genres you enjoy.
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 09/22/2017 14:01
  • Post subject:
I have drunk 3 pints after an horrendous day of work and decided The Good Charlotte are an atrocity against humanity despite a well meaning hipster telling me they were a good band corrupted by the industry.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2017 20:41
  • Post subject:
stangetzaway wrote:
I have drunk 3 pints after an horrendous day of work and decided The Good Charlotte are an atrocity against humanity despite a well meaning hipster telling me they were a good band corrupted by the industry.

Laughing
Truth.
  • Visit poster's website