Musical random chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 949, 950, 951 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2019 12:14
  • Post subject:
Sadly, I don’t think Tupac would have been a fan of him, and for good reason. Here’s what the Des Moines Register editorial board had to say.

Quote:
Defending the misguided, GOP-led privatization of Medicaid is virtually impossible. Unfortunately, Foxhoven, a smart man who should have known better, repeatedly tried to do exactly that.

He did so even as Iowans lost access to health care. And health providers closed their doors. And for-profit insurers demanded and received more and more taxpayer money. And two of the three original for-profit insurers hired to manage care for 600,000 poor or disabled Iowans packed up and left the state.

Kaduken

• Posted: 07/17/2019 15:35
  • Post subject:
"Shakur-themed cookies" - never I'd see that phrase.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/17/2019 22:09
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1151284194083049473

https://pitchfork.com/news/iowa-governm...out-tupac/

What a week.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/19/2019 02:55
  • Post subject:
Not that musician-to-actor transitions are new, but Andre 3000, Kid Cudi, and Andrew Bird have all been cast in TV shows today. Not to mention the horrifying cat-versions of Taylor Swift and Jason Derulo in that new movie trailer. Economically, does anyone think there's going to be a spike in this trend in the 2020's, particularly for 'aging' rappers? Think Snoop Dogg, A$AP Rocky, Method Man, Black Thought, Ludacris, Common, Mos Def, Kendrick Lamar, and Nicki Minaj have had some notable acting roles in the past few years (and, well, Drake went actor-to-rapper a while back, and Donald Glover's done both since I can remember), but it seems Hollywood' casting hip-hop artists for roles far more than rock/folk/pop stars, which I can't help but feel is because of this communal feeling 'old people can't rap' or something. Or perhaps there's more access to creativity on the screen right now than in a studio contract label deal?

Anyone have any opinions or inside knowledge on the bump in the trend?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2019 03:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Not that musician-to-actor transitions are new, but Andre 3000, Kid Cudi, and Andrew Bird have all been cast in TV shows today. Not to mention the horrifying cat-versions of Taylor Swift and Jason Derulo in that new movie trailer. Economically, does anyone think there's going to be a spike in this trend in the 2020's, particularly for 'aging' rappers? Think Snoop Dogg, A$AP Rocky, Method Man, Black Thought, Ludacris, Common, Mos Def, Kendrick Lamar, and Nicki Minaj have had some notable acting roles in the past few years (and, well, Drake went actor-to-rapper a while back, and Donald Glover's done both since I can remember), but it seems Hollywood' casting hip-hop artists for roles far more than rock/folk/pop stars, which I can't help but feel is because of this communal feeling 'old people can't rap' or something. Or perhaps there's more access to creativity on the screen right now than in a studio contract label deal?

Anyone have any opinions or inside knowledge on the bump in the trend?

Re: rappers - perhaps as movie and TV casts diversify, bringing in a known quantity from another segment of pop culture is the lazy route for producers, instead of doing the work to pluck talent out of obscurity.

I don't know much about movies/TV so idk if that makes sense.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2019 21:42
  • Post subject:
Yes, I think casting directors drawing from rap instead of the pool of unknown actors because there's an everpresent pressure to diversify casts more, it's easier and/or because they already have some name recognition does make sense.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2019 15:18
  • Post subject:
My kids had an awesome time at their first music festival -Pitchfork - yesterday. Sky Ferriera was their highlight but they also comandered the kids stage for two hours and formed their own band with a bunch of other kids.

Mavis Staples killed it. Haim were great as a closing headliner and were just fun to watch.

My favorite set was Soccer Mommy. She seemed to be the crowd favorite as well. Julia Holter was a little bit of letdown but still great to see live.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2019 17:15
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
My kids had an awesome time at their first music festival -Pitchfork - yesterday. Sky Ferriera was their highlight but they also comandered the kids stage for two hours and formed their own band with a bunch of other kids.

Mavis Staples killed it. Haim were great as a closing headliner and were just fun to watch.

My favorite set was Soccer Mommy. She seemed to be the crowd favorite as well. Julia Holter was a little bit of letdown but still great to see live.

Sounds great - glad you all had fun Very Happy
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/21/2019 17:17
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tilly wrote:

Sounds great - glad you all had fun Very Happy

Went back yesterday but much later on account of the heat. Stereolab and Belle & Sebastian were both totally on fire. The Isley Brothers were okay but felt like an oldies act. Something Mavis the day before was most certainly not.

The kids want a "chill" day today so that's a wrap. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2019 02:49
  • Post subject:
I just kinda have a beef I'd like to complain about - just ignore me.

It's a logical fallacy to say something sucks because it's been "overplayed".

How does that change the work given? It's the same damn song/work when nobody has heard it or everyone has heard it 1397534764 times.

Rate things based on their quality! While I believe in reader response theory, that doesn't mean something turns to shit just because it got played a lot. It either was good to begin with or it sucked to begin with. End of story.

But alas, music isn't logical, is it?
  • Visit poster's website