Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 976, 977, 978 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2021 01:44
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Joni’s ‘70s run is basically untouchable, give or take Mingus. (Also, ‘Mingus’ is pronounced ‘Mangoo’, like ‘Camus’, because jazz.)

recently finally had a period of enthusiastic liking for her 74-77 era and I can't help but agree. I initially had a very folkie take on her work and thought her 74 onward stuff was too busy and jazzy for me.

In a very different way I have a similar love for 80s Prince output and 70s Neil Young. and of course 60s dylan is the only run i'd put above joni's 70s output.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/07/2021 12:04
  • Post subject:
plasticships wrote:
an-outlaw wrote:
So listening to Pearl Jam's 'Alive' and 'Jeremy' for the first time in years... they don't seem good at all. Will I feel the same disappointment if I listened to Ten again? Like... the same impact?

I remember they have a surprise great song later on called 'I Am Mine'. How will find this this I wonder? Now... as in living now.

I mean come on if I had been without listening to any single on Nevermind for weeks/months and one came on the radio I would put it on to the end... even 'In Bloom'. Right now.

Ten is a much better album IMO. I heard there is a release of it without the excessive vocal effects, and it’s supposed to be fantastic. If anyone knows which release that is I’d like to know..

Thats interesting. i was listening to Ten recently and really enjoyed the live sounding production. I’ll pay more attention to the vocals though next time! i really enjoy the first 3 PJ albums these days and im not even the biggest hard rock/ stadium rock guy usually. Though i admit they are the kind of band you have to be in the right mood for- they are so earnest and stadium ready, like a hard rock Sprinsteen. Very accomplished songwriters though in my view. Vs is my current fav, but the first 3 albums pretty even really.
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/10/2021 12:00
  • Post subject:
I watched the Mercury Prize last night. Not sure if people really pay much attention to this award nowadays but I enjoyed the performances on the whole. Mostly seemed like a good set of nominations (No Jessie Ware though Shocked ) Arlo Parks took the win as expected, but my favourite performance was from probably the least known artist, Hannah Peel. I’m listening to the album now and it’s really good. My techno vocabulary is limited, but I’d say it’s similar to early Tangerine Dream.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/15/2021 15:48
  • Post subject:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi...er-1224837

Rolling Stone's new 500 best songs of all-time.

The 500-301 range is genuinely, and unapologetically, chaotic. Like, yeah, there's good cuts on here, but it scrolls bizarrely random.

Top 300 though? A couple strange choices here n there, and definitely some strains of being 'relevant', but I can't argue it's not a solid bunch. Even some strong surprising cuts from Nina Simone, X-Ray Specs, and an awkwardly high landing for Dancing On My Own. UGK even hit the top 100. But there are some CRAZY random ass choices still. Daddy Yankee's Gasolina is in the top 50. Laughing Lorde even landed the top 30.

#1 being a cover is kinda interesting too, but understandable. Glad to say I saw her sing it live shortly before she passed.

Won't bother with omissions, that could be endless, but if they're speckling jazz cuts in the mix I'm surprised Take Five didn't stick. Don't think I spotted any Bjork, MBV, Sufjan, King Crimson, Love, DOOM or Arcade Fire either (and... maybe The Cure?).

BEA could do a lot better.

Last edited by Hayden on 09/16/2021 14:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 09/15/2021 18:42
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/kanye-west-stronger-1224837

The 500-301 range is genuinely, and unapologetically, chaotic. Like, yeah, there's good cuts on here, but it scrolls bizarrely random.

Top 300 though? A couple strange choices here n there, and definitely some strains of being 'relevant', but I can't argue it's not a solid bunch. Even some strong surprising cuts from Nina Simone, X-Ray Specs, and an awkwardly high landing for Dancing On My Own. UGK even hit the top 100. But there are some CRAZY random ass choices still. Daddy Yankee's Gasolina is in the top 50. Laughing Lorde even landed the top 30.

#1 being a cover is kinda interesting too, but understandable. Glad to say I saw her sing it live shortly before she passed.

Won't bother with omissions, that could be endless, but if they're speckling jazz cuts in the mix I'm surprised Take Five didn't stick. Don't think I spotted any Bjork, MBV, Sufjan, King Crimson, Love, DOOM or Arcade Fire either (and... maybe The Cure?).

Yeah this is interesting. Chaotic is definitely a great descriptor. Fleetwood Mac really memed their way into the top 10 with that one... Honestly that's the most bizarre of the whole thing for me.

There was at least one Cure song. I think "Boys Don't Cry" but maybe I saw "Pictures of You" as well.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2021 00:43
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
There was at least one Cure song. I think "Boys Don't Cry" but maybe I saw "Pictures of You" as well.

"Just Like Heaven" at #108, but I would agree that "Boys Don't Cry" is a better song, along with about a dozen other Cure tracks. People in the USA tend to rate the middle-period stuff higher because they didn't really get to hear the earlier stuff when it came out, I guess.

The comments on RS appear to be almost universally negative, which I suppose is understandable. As for me personally, if I see a list like this with no XTC material on it, I just assume the people making the list are complete philistines. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 09/16/2021 07:42
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/kanye-west-stronger-1224837

Honestly, screw Rolling Stone. Trying to be cool and not-racist (granted you shouldn't be racist at all, my point is that they're inauthentic and they are so into it that they end up being more racist/disrespectful to white music legends) and trendy by making perhaps the worst "best songs of all time" list I think I've ever seen. It's laughably bad at very best. It's almost WORSE than their albums-list. One Beyonce, two OutKast's, and three-four mainstream pop songs I haven't heard since their intial release, over Billie Jean? Someone kill me already. And that ain't even the worst offender
Though I'm not gonna bother making my own Top 500 Songs of All Time, my deed has been done

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓

Last edited by DommeDamian on 09/17/2021 12:36; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 09/16/2021 12:21
  • Post subject:
Midnight Train to Georgia being #470 is wack.

• Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2021 13:12
  • Post subject:
I just want to add that it's hilarious seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody" so high. While I agree that it's an awesome song that has aged wonderfully over the years, the original 1975-6 RS review of A Night at the Opera was pretty negative, even claiming "The Prophet's Song" was the best track on the album.

Honestly I think the selection of songs here is pretty solid (apart from the lack of jazz), but I think RS could've done a better job ranking them. I will say there were multiple times when I was going through the list (from 500 to 1) when I thought "oh this song is ranked xx, now I wonder what #1 could be?", so it can't be ALL bad. And "trying to be not-racist" is decidedly a good thing unless you're so tone deaf that you end up actually being racist. Which I don't think they've done here. I wish there was more info about who were actually making the selections and doing the writing. That almost matters more than the selections themselves.

Oh and also "Gasolina" is a great song, came out ~8 years ago and it's still a bopper, regularly played in my household.[/quote]
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/16/2021 14:46
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
I just want to add that it's hilarious seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody" so high. While I agree that it's an awesome song that has aged wonderfully over the years, the original 1975-6 RS review of A Night at the Opera was pretty negative, even claiming "The Prophet's Song" was the best track on the album.

I also thought Bohemian Rhapsody was too high. But BEA has it even higher. It’s the 14th highest rated track on this site (average rating 94).

At first glance, I prefer the RS top 100 to BEAs top 100 rated tracks. There is more diversity, more soul and less prog. Respect is also a good shout for the number 1 spot.