proof that new music sucks?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2009 20:42
  • Post subject:
I'd say proof that NME sucks (it does, they've exercised their "journalistic" power to destroy bands for petty reasons before) but if it's as badfaith says, then I guess the record company execs and the smattering of bands included in the list simply don't have very good taste or perhaps a lot of exposure. Or maybe just really eclectic tastes.

Turn On the Bright Lights is a really good example of weakness in this list. I have it, and the songs frequently come up on my iPod. I always think two things: a) this sounds a lot like Bowie and b) this is very mediocre music. Not bad, but not very good either. Not a good pick for top 10 of the decade. NME's likely aging staff are just trying to seem like they're still hip while also tossing a bone to their personal favorites like PJ Harvey.

• Posted: 11/17/2009 21:15
  • Post subject:
Charicature wrote:
I'd say proof that NME sucks (it does, they've exercised their "journalistic" power to destroy bands for petty reasons before) but if it's as badfaith says, then I guess the record company execs and the smattering of bands included in the list simply don't have very good taste or perhaps a lot of exposure. Or maybe just really eclectic tastes.

I'm sorry, but what's new?
  • Visit poster's website
ctsimcox

• Posted: 11/17/2009 21:18
  • Post subject:
100% proof that NME sucks and always will. Instead of ranting and raving ill just list some bands which were excluded from the list, which lead to the suck found on this list:
Modest Mouse
The Microphones
Animal Collective
Wolf Parade
Trail Of Dead
Explosions In The Sky
Okkervil River
and more that really should have been on there instead of Amy Winehouse or Green Day (they were both actually on the list)
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2009 21:33
  • Post subject:
All these best of the decade lists just look the Goddamn same to me after a while.
  • Visit poster's website
maxperenchio

• Posted: 11/18/2009 04:59
  • Post subject:
Certainly a questionable list- Libertines at number 2 is especially hilarious. British music critics in general usually leave me bewildered, no offense.

I never get too bent out of shape over these things, after all, what kind of sick people sit around and make numerical album lists anyways?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 11/18/2009 05:42
  • Post subject:
*giggles sheepishly*

oh max...

*is smitten*
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2009 10:54
  • Post subject:
1234567890 wrote:
Charicature wrote:

I'm sorry, but what's new?

Absolutely nothing - but since no one else was stating the obvious, and instead coming up with other explanations, I figured it needed to be said.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 11/18/2009 11:26
  • Post subject: Re: proof that new music sucks?
I don't rate the Strokes album that high as the best of the decade. Good, but not great. Out of this top ten, Funeral would probably be the better number one. But as stated before, decade lists seem to become more similar as they go. The usual suspects will always crop up. And if NME's chart is user-voted, I don't think you can blame NME.

Onto "new music sucks": I personally have liked this decade but it was only within the last ten years that music has become a part of my life. Since joining this site, I have been exposed to older albums but it is the newer ones I seem to go back to. Contemporary music may not be new, but this decade will forever be known as the Remake and Rehash decade.

But why can't music be similar in style to older music? Innovation does not always lead to greatness. Are the general populus going to look back at the 2000s and see MPP as the greatest album because it is different and new or will they see the top selling albums as better? Personally, Muse's Absolution, Elbow's Asleep In The Back and Something For Kate (SFK)'s Echolalia would be in my top 10 of the decade. SFK is an Aussie band so not many overseas charts would see Echolalia in there. Absolution is a great experience for an album and yes, inspiried by Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Queen but still a great album.

If we avoid the digital music downloads of tweens which consist of generic pop, then digging deeper, we find better music and possibly music that is good. I don't care if Radiohead listened to numerous Beatles albums and got inspired and somehow sound a little similar. Appreciate the music for what it is and not what it came from.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2009 14:04
  • Post subject: Re: proof that new music sucks?
harkan wrote:
Appreciate the music for what it is and not what it came from.

Concur
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 11/18/2009 15:01
  • Post subject:
But harkan, you surely must be aware of the concept of people being absolutely bored with ideas that they have heard before. This isn't exclusive to music. The first time I heard a "George Bush is so stupid" joke, I probably laughed. The millionth time, I didn't. The first time I ate sushi, it was the greatest thing I've ever tasted. Now I've eaten it so much, I've gotten used to it. The first time I saw a slasher movie, I was like, "oh noooo! watch out!" Now it's like, "yeah, a bunch of teens get killed...blah, blah, blah, don't get in the shower or have sex, of course you'll die." Whenever I hear that formulaic and derivative song with the same chord progressions, bland lyrics, and guitar 101 solos I've heard somewhere else, it bores me to tears.

Where the music came from pretty much makes the music what it is. I think it's fair to expect artists of all mediums to give us something new. When life is predictable it gets boring. Same with music.
  • Visit poster's website