proof that new music sucks?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
brohio

• Posted: 11/19/2009 01:33
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
But harkan, you surely must be aware of the concept of people being absolutely bored with ideas that they have heard before. This isn't exclusive to music. The first time I heard a "George Bush is so stupid" joke, I probably laughed. The millionth time, I didn't. The first time I ate sushi, it was the greatest thing I've ever tasted. Now I've eaten it so much, I've gotten used to it. The first time I saw a slasher movie, I was like, "oh noooo! watch out!" Now it's like, "yeah, a bunch of teens get killed...blah, blah, blah, don't get in the shower or have sex, of course you'll die." Whenever I hear that formulaic and derivative song with the same chord progressions, bland lyrics, and guitar 101 solos I've heard somewhere else, it bores me to tears.

Where the music came from pretty much makes the music what it is. I think it's fair to expect artists of all mediums to give us something new. When life is predictable it gets boring. Same with music.

For once I almost agree with you. And I'm much older and have heard the "same" thing for more years. I NEED that "twist" or odd beat or special chord progression that sets this song apart from that song. That's why writing music is as difficult as it is. Anyone can write most of the crap that gets written these days. So, JJ, your NEED for something less formulaic finds me in total agreement. What doesn't is your obsession with rap. Could we, besides polka, find anything more repetitive? Can you? Huh? Huh? Huh?

I think it's fair to expect artists of all mediums to give us something new. When life is predictable it gets boring. Same with music.[/quote]

Darn JJ, just when I thought you knew what you were talking about.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 11/19/2009 11:40
  • Post subject:
I think my comment comes from a naivety (sic) towards music. Being 24, I thought I had a large music knowledge and within my circle of friends and family, that might be true. But some people on this site who are younger than me have an expanded sense of music compared to myself. I guess I don't get bored of some similarities within music. Film yes, but not with music.

Sometimes I want music that doesn't require me to dissect every time signature and chord progression. Recently I have been listening to The Mars Volta and to me, their music is new and innovative. However, they have inspiriations and influences. I may not know them and that helps with the appreciation of the music. But listening to Frances the Mute or Bedlam In Goliath can seem strenuous at moments.

I'm not sure of my point but I can see why I like 2000s music. Be it Radiohead continuing to try something different, or appreciating the songwriting of Sarah Blasko and Elbow, or standing in the middle of the mosh watching Muse at some nondescript venue. It's my era and my voice. The voice may sound like some others but it can still speak up when it needs to.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/19/2009 14:24
  • Post subject:
Just as a point of interest, that may have relevance here, take a look at Radiohead's website... the chaps from the band often post in a similar way to threads on this site- they make a few short lists of music they're listening to right now, things that will undoubtedly be influencing their own work in the future, but I can say with confidence I've absolutely no desire whatsoever in listening to myself... Totally obscure stuff, which I defy any common or garden fan to have heard ( perhaps we are the baby birds of music, waiting for music group parents to regurgatate predigested lumps of artistry in more pallettable tuneful pieces).
But this makes a couple of points- firstly, they are in the music business, and probably spend an inordinate amount of time listening to music, being around musicians, and generally being musicated, even by the standards of the most dedicated music fans to be found on a site like this- we have other concerns in life- work, learning etc.
Also, something which could properly be refered to as the Bono affliction, or the Sting syndrome... that is, just because you entertain me, and I appreciate WHAT YOU DO, doesn't mean I give a flying fuck what you like, think, or feel on any given subject outside of that. But alas, some still do set too much store by their opinions, and in the NME's list, this is displayed perfectly, because of all most recent lists, I think this one will garner most disagreement from ordinary fans- I mean XTRMINATR... one oof the best?... REALLY?!!!- it's good, but nothing you want played on your deathbed or anything. But in truth, it's only probably because gillespe's a pal of most of those picking these albums, and is generally a very nice chap in their eyes, that this Primal Scream album makes it on the list.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/19/2009 14:48
  • Post subject:
Incidentally, am I the only one who thinks that the Strokes Room on fire is a vastly superior album to Is This it?
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/04/2009 02:32
  • Post subject:
No, most people I know like Room on Fire better; I like Is This It better, though I do think the musicianship in Room on Fire is better--- it depends on where you give your points.

And yes, NME is absolutely retarded. When people think of "best album ever" they usually don't think "Stone Roses"; but that's because the NME staff isn't human...
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/04/2009 10:22
  • Post subject:
i prefer is this it by far even if room in fire is in my top 10 albums ever ? and most people i know too. actually most people don't even know room on fire. i think that it's exactly like nevermind and in utero.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/04/2009 11:58
  • Post subject:
Ok then, it is just me.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 12/04/2009 12:23
  • Post subject:
I like Room On Fire better.
  • Visit poster's website
RaineyWins

Ireland

• Posted: 12/04/2009 13:39
  • Post subject:
The list isn't bad, yes, it missing some far better albums. And the fact that The libertines are second on the list is shocking. But I do believe that "Is this it" deservely sits at the top spot, or "Funeral".

And "Room on Fire" is great some songs such as "What ever Happened?" and Reptilla" and "Under Control", are better than the majority of tracks on "Is this it".
But "Is this it", I feel every track is very good, I could listen to every track over and over, whereas "Room on Fire" has less great tracks..
  • Visit poster's website