Middle East / Asia

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2013 17:21
  • Post subject: Middle East / Asia
Discuss any recent developments in the Middle East. Comments, questions, concerns about the Orient are welcome here.

• Posted: 04/25/2013 17:50
  • Post subject: Re: Middle East / Asia
ptaylor1989 wrote:
Discuss any recent developments in the Middle East. Comments, questions, concerns about the Orient are welcome here.

Laughing Easy work. Very peaceful place middle-east. No news just birds passing meadows and rivers raging. Nothing much to discuss.
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2013 18:02
tekin wrote:
Laughing Easy work. Very peaceful place middle-east. No news just birds passing meadows and rivers raging. Nothing much to discuss.

Laughing I heard your neighbor Syria is splitting up? Tell me more. Is Turkey abstaining? I feel like I've missed a lot because I just found out tensions are at a snapping point...
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 04/25/2013 18:04
  • Post subject:
They taste different,apparently.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/25/2013 18:43
ptaylor1989 wrote:
Laughing I heard your neighbor Syria is splitting up? Tell me more. Is Turkey abstaining? I feel like I've missed a lot because I just found out tensions are at a snapping point...

No Turkey has huge interests in Syria; no abstaining. The foremost problem for Turkey is Kurdish minority in Syria. You see there is a regional government in Iraqi Kurdistan and the Kurdish part of Syria is near that part and there is the threat of (for Turkey of course) independence of Kurd parts of Syria which will reinforce PKK so what Turkey wants is just a conservative Sunni government in Syria (Assad is from Alawite [Shi'a] minority) and from what is apparent now it will be difficult to maintain that because Kurdish parts of Syria have gained somewhat independent status so no matter what happens they will have at least a regional government for themselves unless some incidents happen (like chemical weapon use) and there may be an international consensus on military raid on Syria after such an event and that sudden action may gather together Syrian forces and that means no Kurdish regional government for some time and that's exactly what Turkey wants: a sudden attack. Bashar Al-Assad is just a puppet for Iran and what Iran wants here is chaos because chaos means high oil prices and ground for military development in Lebanon to reinforce Hezbollah and Hamas in order to face Israel (which is also a plan for maintaining chaos in the region and ironically what Israel wants too). Iran doesn't want to lose Syria because they use it as a channel for weapon transport to Lebanon and Palestine. But too much blood has been spilt and that wouldn't let a calm transition but whatever, a transition from Bashar Al-Assad to sth different (don't know what that might turn out to be) seems inevitable.

• Posted: 04/25/2013 18:55
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
They taste different,apparently.

You mean syrup and turkey?
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/03/2013 17:53
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:
Strange nobody has mentioned it so far...

http://www.euronews.com/2013/06/01/wave...im-square/

Tekin? Thoughts?

• Posted: 06/03/2013 19:42
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
Tekin? Thoughts?

Well; it's complicated, yet it's also very simple. There's this Park in Istanbul (not that big) and there was an artillery barracks there back in 1940s but was destroyed. So they wanted to rebuild it and make it a kinda museum and a shopping mall. They said they won't cut any trees there to make it but they did cut some trees by stealth. So some environmental activist groups went there and decided to camp there at night. But in the middle of the night tents were set on fire. They accused police forces for this and the day after that more people came and everything was out of control because they were angry with the police. Police reacted very violently and this sparked the interest of different parties (CHP and BDP) so they sent some PMs there and their supporters gathered there and the nature of demonstrations changed because of political provocations. Now everyone who is not happy with the government and its policies (mainly leftist and pseudo-intellectual groups of students) have joined the demonstrations. Now interesting thing is why the main opposition party (CHP) and its leader in particular have interest in these demonstrations. One of the issues that has become a target of criticism after the demonstrations changed nature has been AKP's (ruling party) policies in Syria. Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, the leader of CHP, is Alevi (a sect of Islam which is in opposition to Sunni Islam) and Bashar Al-Asad is Alevi too (the war in Syria is in fact a religious one now between Alevis and Sunnis). What I see here is a coalition between CHP and Syrian government to force AKP to change its policies in Syria. After all Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu sees a great potential ally in Al-Asad if he takes the government after the next election. He doesn't want to lose that so he wants a heated atmosphere inside Turkey against AKP's Syria policies (many ordinary people already are against it but for different reasons) so that Erdoğan has to take a step backwards in his support of the opposition in Syria. I don't say other things are not involved (many are angry at new Alcohol laws, pressure on the press and etc.) but what intrigues me is implicit intentions of political pressure groups here because they use uninformed masses for their long-term ambitions. At last if you want my analysis I can tell you that nothing will come out of it.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/03/2013 23:07
  • Post subject:
Yeah been meaning to ask you Tekin, thanks for the insight. BBC and other news sources seem to be going on the angle that a lot of the discontent is due to the perceived undermining of secularism in the country, which I know is very important for many Turks. If you don't mind giving your analysis on that I'd be interested to hear. Also your opinion on how important secularism is for Turkey?
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/03/2013 23:36
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
You mean syrup and turkey?

No,women from that part of the world
  • Visit poster's website