Where can I Find the Album/track....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 12/12/2009 17:24
  • Post subject:
Nobody gives a shit about either in psychology, influential in other fields though. Get a degree in psychology and you might talk about Freud in three classes; Maslow probably in two. Just cuz you've heard about them doesn't mean actual psychologists give a shit about them.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2009 17:50
  • Post subject:
The 100 Most Eminent Psychologists of the 20th Century (Review of General Psychology 6(2):pp. 139-152)

A rank-ordered list was constructed that reports the first 99 of the 100 most eminent psychologists of the twentieth century. Eminence was measured by scores on three quantitative variables and three qualitative variables. The quantitative variables were journal citation frequency, introductory psychology textbook citation frequency, and survey response frequency. The qualitative variables were National Academy of Science (NAS) membership, American Psychological Association (APA) President and/or recipient of the APA Distinguished Scientific Contributions Award, and surname used as an eponym. The qualitative variables were quantified and combined with the other three quantitative variables to produce a composite score that was then used to construct a rank-ordered list of the most eminent psychologists of the twentieth century.

The 10 most-eminent psychologists of the twentieth century:
    1 Skinner, B.F. 8 2 1 1950 1958/-- Skinnerian
    2 Piaget, Jean 2 4 2 1966 1969/-- Piagetian
    3 Freud, Sigmund 1 1 3 -- -- / -- Freudian
    4 Bandura, Albert 5 3 5 -- 1980/1974 Bandura’s social learning theory
    5 Festinger, Leon 12 19 11.5 1972 1959/ -- Festinger’s cognitive dissonance theory
    6 Rogers, Carl R. 28.5 5 9.5 -- 1956/1947 Rogerian Therapy
    7 Schachter, Stanley 46 6 24 1983 1969/ -- Schachter’s affiliation studies
    8 Miller, Neal E. 13 9 14.5 1958 1959/1961
    9 Thorndike, Edward 40 50 9.5 1917 -- /1912 Thorndike’s puzzle box
    10 Maslow, A.H. 37 14 19 -- -- /1968 Maslow’s hierarchy

The 17 psychologists most frequently cited in the professional psychological journal literature:
    1 Freud, Sigmund 13,890
    2 Piaget, Jean 8,821
    3 Eysenck, H. J. 6,212
    4 Winer, B.J. 6,206
    5 Bandura, Albert 5,831
    6 Siegel, S. 4,861
    7 Cattell, Raymond B. 4,828
    8 Skinner, B.F. 4,339
    9 Osgood, Charles E. 4,061
    10 Guilford, J.P. 4,006
    11 Campbell, Donald T. 3,969
    12 Festinger, Leon 3,536
    13 Miller, George A. 3,394
    14 Bruner, Jerome S. 3,279
    15 Cronbach, Lee J. 3,253
    16 Erikson, Eric H. 3,060
    17 Edwards, A.L. 3,007

The 17 psychologists most frequently cited in introductory psychology textbooks:
    1. Freud, Sigmund 560
    2 Skinner, B.F. 310
    3 Bandura, Albert 303
    4 Piaget, Jean. 240
    5 Rogers, Carl. 202
    6 Schachter, Stanley 200
    7 Harlow, Harry F. 175
    8 Brown, Roger 162
    9 Miller, Neal E. 154
    10 McClelland, D.C. 153
    11 Erikson, Eric H. 151
    12 Milgram, Stanley 146
    13 Seligman, Martin E.P 143
    14 Maslow, Abraham 142
    15 Bower, Gordon H. 138
    16 Kohlberg, Lawrence 128
    17 Watson, John B. 127

The 19 psychologists most frequently named in the survey responses of 1,725 members of the American Psychological Association:
    1 Skinner, B.F. 58
    2 Piaget, Jean 33
    3 Freud, Sigmund 28
    4 Watson, John B. 24
    5 Bandura, Albert 23
    6.5 James, William 21
    6.5 Pavlov, Ivan P. 21
    8 Lewin, Kurt 17
    9.5 Rogers, Carl 14
    9.5 Thorndike, Edward 14
    11.5 Festinger, Leon 13
    11.5 Hebb, D. O. 13
    14.5 Allport, Gordon 11
    14.5 Hull, Clark 11
    14.5 Miller, Neal 11
    14.5 Tolman, Edward C. 11
    17 Erikson, Eric 10
    19 Köhler, Wolfgang 9
    19 Maslow, Abraham 9
    19 Vygotsky, Lev Semenovich 9

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 12/12/2009 18:25
  • Post subject:
ty once again Mr. Napes : >

purple, think about it this way: psychology is almost 150 years old. Out of those 150 years Freud is the most influential, or certainly one of them. Just because most people don't study Freud in school today as intensely as they may have 50 years ago, doesn't mean he isn't still the king. Let me put it like this: just because music students aren't necessarily studying Bach & Beethoven in school today, doesn't mean that those composers are meaningless. The reason that newer styles are being taught is because there's more money in them and more people teaching them. Universities try to compete with one another to have the most innovative programs.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 12/12/2009 20:11
  • Post subject:
Freud has influenced every single art form in the 20th century (and beyond) and has entered popular culture. But Skinner or Piaget ??
You don't have to agree with any theory (they are just that - theories), but the development of psychoanalysis in the last century has had imo a great social impact. In the art world, this global awareness for all things unconscious, was probably responsable for the important interest in the surrealistic movement.
Remember the 40s...

Link

In music, there are numerous examples.
Charles Mingus' "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" and the liner notes written by his psychotherapist for one !
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 12/12/2009 23:06
  • Post subject:
How many Freudian analysts does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two. One to change the bulb and one to hold the penis-- er, I mean ladder.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/13/2009 17:04
  • Post subject:
from Purple [quote]To the Maslow comment: he's as good as Freud to the psychology world, i.e. no one gives a shit about him. Freud is good to literary people, Maslow's good to self-help gurus.[quote]

from Elston [quote]Freud is the single most influential psychologist ever, hands down. Maslow is right up there as well. Where do you get this shit man?[/quote]

from Purple [quote]Nobody gives a shit about either in psychology, influential in other fields though. Get a degree in psychology and you might talk about Freud in three classes; Maslow probably in two. Just cuz you've heard about them doesn't mean actual psychologists give a shit about them.[/quote]

from Elston [quote]purple, think about it this way: psychology is almost 150 years old. Out of those 150 years Freud is the most influential, or certainly one of them. Just because most people don't study Freud in school today as intensely as they may have 50 years ago, doesn't mean he isn't still the king. Let me put it like this: just because music students aren't necessarily studying Bach & Beethoven in school today, doesn't mean that those composers are meaningless. The reason that newer styles are being taught is because there's more money in them and more people teaching them. Universities try to compete with one another to have the most innovative programs.[/quote]

from CellarDoor [quote]Freud has influenced every single art form in the 20th century (and beyond) and has entered popular culture. But Skinner or Piaget ??
You don't have to agree with any theory (they are just that - theories), but the development of psychoanalysis in the last century has had imo a great social impact. In the art world, this global awareness for all things unconscious, was probably responsable for the important interest in the surrealistic movement. [/quote]

It looks like I'll take jewsom's reins; no where in any of my posts did I say he's not the most influential, he is in philosophy, literature, music etc, true; but I'll restate that no one gives a shit about Freud in psychology. So my original statement hasn't really been under any fire yet; no where do I mention influence outside of psychology. Anyway, since you must not have been reading my posts, I continued to relate the usefulness of Maslow to Freud's, in the psychology world. Today, in psychology, there's a movement to be able to prove most everything by scientific means; that's why the non-scientific work of Freud and Maslow don't mean shit in the realm of psychology.

To restate, so no one feels the need to continue arguing, Freud is very influential in most everything other than psychology, but that's not what's under contention. I was making a stab at Maslow, who really is kind of a bitch, and I don't know anyone who really wants to defend him. But if you do, I'll just shoot back the same argument more or less...
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2009 17:16
  • Post subject:
Uh, what was this thread about again?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2009 21:45
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
To restate, so no one feels the need to continue arguing, Freud is very influential in most everything other than psychology, but that's not what's under contention. I was making a stab at Maslow, who really is kind of a bitch, and I don't know anyone who really wants to defend him. But if you do, I'll just shoot back the same argument more or less...

Interesting but in direct opposition to what was found in the refereed article in the Review of General Psychology, published by the American Psychological Association (Official Journal of APA Division 1 (Society of General Psychology)). While that article was published in 2002, I still trust it more than your unsupported opinion. Freud was found to be the 3rd and Maslow the 10th most-eminent psychologists of the twentieth century.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/13/2009 22:10
  • Post subject:
We're a good ten years into the 21st century...
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2009 23:16
  • Post subject:
I doubt that either psychologist would fall completely out of grace in 7 years. What is the basis of your opinion?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website