Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 399, 400, 401 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2019 01:51
  • Post subject:
Rockdrigo wrote:
I can't stress how useful this is. I like every update to bring some change, specially with my overall, so I do all the daily tweaking in a Word document. It also made me realise that I was ranking way too high albums that I didn't liked that much.

I use Excel... much better for data management than word.

Also if you see anywhere on the site export as CSV... (comma seperated value)... that basically is an excel spreadsheet, which has artist, album, year, and whatever rating you've given it if you have.

Anyway, this way you can export your old overall and then make tweaks to it and then sell your soul, I mean update your chart.

I have a spreadsheet for each "era/decade" of music... currently as the album era decades, and then music periods for the others... so like 10 spreadsheets. And then I have an overall that references those and then I can do other data parties like tagging them as solo artists or double albums or what their discography looks like for my ratings etc.

Ok I'm done talking about how much of a dork I am.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2019 06:42
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

It is... if you want to do more than simple data management. If all you want to do is make an album chart, move albums around and add or delete them, it's quicker to just type in Word and use Numbering. If you want to do more advanced operations like sorting lists by your rating, album title, band name, year etc., then obviously a spreadsheet like Google Sheets or Excel is better.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2019 21:11
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
It is... if you want to do more than simple data management. If all you want to do is make an album chart, move albums around and add or delete them, it's quicker to just type in Word and use Numbering. If you want to do more advanced operations like sorting lists by your rating, album title, band name, year etc., then obviously a spreadsheet like Google Sheets or Excel is better.

All the yups.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/22/2019 21:19
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

Also if you see anywhere on the site export as CSV... (comma seperated value)... that basically is an excel spreadsheet, which has artist, album, year, and whatever rating you've given it if you have.

Anyway, this way you can export your old overall and then make tweaks to it and then sell your soul, I mean update your chart.

I have a spreadsheet for each "era/decade" of music... currently as the album era decades, and then music periods for the others... so like 10 spreadsheets. And then I have an overall that references those and then I can do other data parties like tagging them as solo artists or double albums or what their discography looks like for my ratings etc.

Join the club. I've got a spreadsheet with currently 4194 albums: the BEA top 2500 (for that project I'm doing) and/or all my favorite albums in year/decade/overall lists. keeping that up to date is a bit of a struggle but I'm still coping. Brick wall
Why don't you keep them together in one spreadsheet instead of 10?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2019 21:23
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Join the club. I've got a spreadsheet with currently 4194 albums: the BEA top 2500 (for that project I'm doing) and/or all my favorite albums in year/decade/overall lists. keeping that up to date is a bit of a struggle but I'm still coping. Brick wall

I did one workbook, but multiple sheets. It seemed easier to organize the decades that way... it's more difficult to sort by 1960-1969 for example if you have all the years mixed up and then do the best of that decade. There's probably a way to do it, but having a seperate sheet seemed the best to keep data unique. Then of course I have my overall list which is the full listing of everything.

4194 albums is just a couple! Awesome track record... there's a pun in there some where...

I'm only at 2,355.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/22/2019 21:40
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
dihansse wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

I did one workbook, but multiple sheets. It seemed easier to organize the decades that way... it's more difficult to sort by 1960-1969 for example if you have all the years mixed up and then do the best of that decade. There's probably a way to do it, but having a seperate sheet seemed the best to keep data unique. Then of course I have my overall list which is the full listing of everything.

4194 albums is just a couple! Awesome track record... there's a pun in there some where...

I'm only at 2,355.

You just rank them overall and then you select the decade (if you type 196 in your filter you have all the albums from 1960 to 1969). and I have four rank columns for each album: for the year, the decade, overall and then finally one for my one album per artist overall list.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2019 21:44
  • Post subject:
There you go.

Probably could rework it... maybe I'll start fresh if I ever get to a project like yours (yearly)
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2019 00:27
  • Post subject:
you can get some fun stuff goin with spreadsheets

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/...p=drivesdk
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2019 00:48
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
you can get some fun stuff goin with spreadsheets

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/...p=drivesdk

Cool indeed. Do you just enter data on your first sheet and the others reference and build out stuff with things? It seems you wait until the month is over or?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2019 01:02
  • Post subject:
I could've been smarter about that, its a lot of copypasting although a decent amount of it is just formulas pulling up stuff. I've been transitioning everything into this doc so I havent gotten the march stuff in and a bunch of stats like the month breakdowns, but after march I'll just be going in this one and have it all up to speed.
  • Visit poster's website