RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2018 01:59
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
my 2018 is up to date

Impressive.

I'm a loser and wait to awesome people like you finish up the year and then listen to all the recs people have near the end of the year. I guess I'm lazy like that.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/01/2018 02:22
  • Post subject:
IDK, the more people that listen to the shit I like the better.
  • Visit poster's website
Fuchsia

United States

• Posted: 09/01/2018 05:13
  • Post subject:
Expanded my main chart to 40 entries if anyone is interested in checking it out <3
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/02/2018 21:57
  • Post subject:
Just threw up another version of my chart for Astral Spirits, which is the label to follow for improvised music in the '10s, and this time I've actually listened to and included their whole catalog (that the site allows).
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2018 03:02
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Just threw up another version of my chart for Astral Spirits, which is the label to follow for improvised music in the '10s, and this time I've actually listened to and included their whole catalog (that the site allows).

what does heavy free refer to?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2018 21:29
  • Post subject:
More Additions by Tha1ChiefRocka

Added some more to the database.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/03/2018 23:15
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
what does heavy free refer to?

"New wave of heavy free jazz" was the slogan of Astral Spirits when it first started out. I suspect heavy refers to the abrasiveness and aggressiveness attached to the reputations of some of the label's roster, e.g. Peter Brötzmann, Fred Lonberg-Holm, Jim Sauter, and is also a hold-over from heavy as an adjective for rock since a healthy portion of the roster is guitar-based and/or plays within both jazz and rock idioms, e.g. Shit & Shine, Kawabata (of Acid Mother's Temple), Tashi Dorji. I mean, presumably a musician's taste influences the music they make and this is the music the labelhead makes. However, the label is sonically very diverse and abrasive and aggressive reputations aren't always manifested by those that have them. I would choose the first 10 records on this chart over most people's overall top 10 for the desert island.

On another note, I think I'm open to taking requests for charts. No promises any suggestions will actually get completed/I have to actually be interested in the concept. Can be by label, musician, instrument, genre, whatever you can think of. Doesn't necessarily have to be improvised music. Can limit the number of entries if you want. Can shout it out here or PM me. Let's try it out.
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2018 21:34
  • Post subject:
My 2018 chart hit 100 albums yesterday. Wasn't expecting to listen to this much 2018, but I'm having loads of fun with it. I'll start moving some of the more superfluous albums into the description box. 2018 has been such a great year for music, it challenges 2015 & 2016 already for best year of the decade in my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2018 21:43
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
My 2018 chart hit 100 albums yesterday. Wasn't expecting to listen to this much 2018, but I'm having loads of fun with it. I'll start moving some of the more superfluous albums into the description box. 2018 has been such a great year for music, it challenges 2015 & 2016 already for best year of the decade in my opinion.

Cool chart! Added several albums from it to my to-do list.

The three stacks release actually is an eligible EP. There are a lot of different sources online to confirm its status as an EP, from RYM, to music review sites, to his own upload to DatPiff. Also I'm a little confused why Black Thought is an honorable mention considering you don't seem to like a lot of releases that do make the chart.
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2018 01:07
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Cool chart! Added several albums from it to my to-do list.

The three stacks release actually is an eligible EP. There are a lot of different sources online to confirm its status as an EP, from RYM, to music review sites, to his own upload to DatPiff. Also I'm a little confused why Black Thought is an honorable mention considering you don't seem to like a lot of releases that do make the chart.

I didn't know the the 3k singles were released as an EP, I thought it was released as just two singles. Also I was under the impression that an EP or album has to be at least 20 minutes in length to be added on site, which is probably why I put the Black Thought EP in the honorable mentions instead of adding it to the site when I first heard it. I see now it has to be 20 minutes long OR 4 tracks in length. Neither project was on the site when I first heard them and I see now both are on here. I'll add them into my chart.

I also prefer to include a lot of the albums I didn't enjoy, because it better shows the year. I have the Migos album at 100 but when I added the new Bun B album last update I removed the new Stephen Malkmus project instead, even though I liked it better than Culture II. I just think if I wanna cover 2018 in music it's important to include artists like Migos and Drake, etc even if I hated their albums because their music is much more relevant to covering 2018's music than a new Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks album is.
  • Visit poster's website