"But we can still support each other, all we got to do is avoid each other"

- Fiona Apple
 
Chart talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 399, 400, 401, 402  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

RoundTheBend
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis



Location: Ground Control
United States

#3991 | Posted: 03/22/2019 01:51 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Rockdrigo wrote:
I can't stress how useful this is. I like every update to bring some change, specially with my overall, so I do all the daily tweaking in a Word document. It also made me realise that I was ranking way too high albums that I didn't liked that much.


I use Excel... much better for data management than word.

Also if you see anywhere on the site export as CSV... (comma seperated value)... that basically is an excel spreadsheet, which has artist, album, year, and whatever rating you've given it if you have.

Anyway, this way you can export your old overall and then make tweaks to it and then sell your soul, I mean update your chart.

I have a spreadsheet for each "era/decade" of music... currently as the album era decades, and then music periods for the others... so like 10 spreadsheets. And then I have an overall that references those and then I can do other data parties like tagging them as solo artists or double albums or what their discography looks like for my ratings etc.

Ok I'm done talking about how much of a dork I am.
_________________
Classical Reviews
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

PurpleHazel




United States

#3992 | Posted: 03/22/2019 06:42 | Post subject: Reply with quote
sethmadsen wrote:
I use Excel... much better for data management than word.

It is... if you want to do more than simple data management. If all you want to do is make an album chart, move albums around and add or delete them, it's quicker to just type in Word and use Numbering. If you want to do more advanced operations like sorting lists by your rating, album title, band name, year etc., then obviously a spreadsheet like Google Sheets or Excel is better.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

RoundTheBend
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis



Location: Ground Control
United States

#3993 | Posted: 03/22/2019 21:11 | Post subject: Reply with quote
PurpleHazel wrote:
It is... if you want to do more than simple data management. If all you want to do is make an album chart, move albums around and add or delete them, it's quicker to just type in Word and use Numbering. If you want to do more advanced operations like sorting lists by your rating, album title, band name, year etc., then obviously a spreadsheet like Google Sheets or Excel is better.


All the yups.
_________________
Classical Reviews
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

dihansse



Gender: Male
Age: 56
Belgium

#3994 | Posted: 03/22/2019 21:19 | Post subject: Reply with quote
sethmadsen wrote:
I use Excel... much better for data management than word.

Also if you see anywhere on the site export as CSV... (comma seperated value)... that basically is an excel spreadsheet, which has artist, album, year, and whatever rating you've given it if you have.

Anyway, this way you can export your old overall and then make tweaks to it and then sell your soul, I mean update your chart.

I have a spreadsheet for each "era/decade" of music... currently as the album era decades, and then music periods for the others... so like 10 spreadsheets. And then I have an overall that references those and then I can do other data parties like tagging them as solo artists or double albums or what their discography looks like for my ratings etc.

Ok I'm done talking about how much of a dork I am.

Join the club. I've got a spreadsheet with currently 4194 albums: the BEA top 2500 (for that project I'm doing) and/or all my favorite albums in year/decade/overall lists. keeping that up to date is a bit of a struggle but I'm still coping. Brick wall
Why don't you keep them together in one spreadsheet instead of 10?
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

RoundTheBend
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis



Location: Ground Control
United States

#3995 | Posted: 03/22/2019 21:23 | Post subject: Reply with quote
dihansse wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I use Excel... much better for data management than word.

Also if you see anywhere on the site export as CSV... (comma seperated value)... that basically is an excel spreadsheet, which has artist, album, year, and whatever rating you've given it if you have.

Anyway, this way you can export your old overall and then make tweaks to it and then sell your soul, I mean update your chart.

I have a spreadsheet for each "era/decade" of music... currently as the album era decades, and then music periods for the others... so like 10 spreadsheets. And then I have an overall that references those and then I can do other data parties like tagging them as solo artists or double albums or what their discography looks like for my ratings etc.

Ok I'm done talking about how much of a dork I am.

Join the club. I've got a spreadsheet with currently 4194 albums: the BEA top 2500 (for that project I'm doing) and/or all my favorite albums in year/decade/overall lists. keeping that up to date is a bit of a struggle but I'm still coping. Brick wall
Why don't you keep them together in one spreadsheet instead of 10?


I did one workbook, but multiple sheets. It seemed easier to organize the decades that way... it's more difficult to sort by 1960-1969 for example if you have all the years mixed up and then do the best of that decade. There's probably a way to do it, but having a seperate sheet seemed the best to keep data unique. Then of course I have my overall list which is the full listing of everything.

4194 albums is just a couple! Awesome track record... there's a pun in there some where...

I'm only at 2,355.
_________________
Classical Reviews
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

dihansse



Gender: Male
Age: 56
Belgium

#3996 | Posted: 03/22/2019 21:40 | Post subject: Reply with quote
sethmadsen wrote:
dihansse wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I use Excel... much better for data management than word.

Also if you see anywhere on the site export as CSV... (comma seperated value)... that basically is an excel spreadsheet, which has artist, album, year, and whatever rating you've given it if you have.

Anyway, this way you can export your old overall and then make tweaks to it and then sell your soul, I mean update your chart.

I have a spreadsheet for each "era/decade" of music... currently as the album era decades, and then music periods for the others... so like 10 spreadsheets. And then I have an overall that references those and then I can do other data parties like tagging them as solo artists or double albums or what their discography looks like for my ratings etc.

Ok I'm done talking about how much of a dork I am.

Join the club. I've got a spreadsheet with currently 4194 albums: the BEA top 2500 (for that project I'm doing) and/or all my favorite albums in year/decade/overall lists. keeping that up to date is a bit of a struggle but I'm still coping. Brick wall
Why don't you keep them together in one spreadsheet instead of 10?


I did one workbook, but multiple sheets. It seemed easier to organize the decades that way... it's more difficult to sort by 1960-1969 for example if you have all the years mixed up and then do the best of that decade. There's probably a way to do it, but having a seperate sheet seemed the best to keep data unique. Then of course I have my overall list which is the full listing of everything.

4194 albums is just a couple! Awesome track record... there's a pun in there some where...

I'm only at 2,355.

You just rank them overall and then you select the decade (if you type 196 in your filter you have all the albums from 1960 to 1969). and I have four rank columns for each album: for the year, the decade, overall and then finally one for my one album per artist overall list.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

RoundTheBend
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis



Location: Ground Control
United States

#3997 | Posted: 03/22/2019 21:44 | Post subject: Reply with quote
There you go.

Probably could rework it... maybe I'll start fresh if I ever get to a project like yours (yearly)
_________________
Classical Reviews
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Tap
to resume download


Gender: Male
Age: 34
United States

#3998 | Posted: 03/23/2019 00:27 | Post subject: Reply with quote
you can get some fun stuff goin with spreadsheets

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/...p=drivesdk
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

RoundTheBend
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis



Location: Ground Control
United States

#3999 | Posted: 03/23/2019 00:48 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Tap wrote:
you can get some fun stuff goin with spreadsheets

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/...p=drivesdk


Cool indeed. Do you just enter data on your first sheet and the others reference and build out stuff with things? It seems you wait until the month is over or?
_________________
Classical Reviews
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Tap
to resume download


Gender: Male
Age: 34
United States

#4000 | Posted: 03/23/2019 01:02 | Post subject: Reply with quote
I could've been smarter about that, its a lot of copypasting although a decent amount of it is just formulas pulling up stuff. I've been transitioning everything into this doc so I havent gotten the march stuff in and a bunch of stats like the month breakdowns, but after march I'll just be going in this one and have it all up to speed.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 399, 400, 401, 402  Next
Page 400 of 402
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Sticky: Definition of a 'Recognised Chart' albummaster Suggestions 32 04/05/2019 03:17 View latest post
mianfei
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. [ Poll ] Laughing Stock (Talk Talk) VS Neon Bi... Behrus58 Music 8 02/07/2013 22:17 View latest post
drakonium
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Album of the day (#1294): The Colour ... albummaster Music 9 06/11/2014 14:48 View latest post
Mdemauri
No new posts Album of the day (#3139): Spirit Of E... albummaster Music 8 07/21/2019 16:14 View latest post
joyofdivision
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Album of the day (#1894): Laughing St... albummaster Music 7 02/07/2016 11:35 View latest post
boyd94

 
 

Powered by phpBB©



Copyright © 2005-2019 BestEverAlbums.com. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Us  |   Advertising  |   RSS Feeds  |   Site Map