Chart talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/01/2021 22:50
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
I like this chart significantly more than any maple syrup I've had the pleasure of trying.

Arguable.

You gotta try the good stuff.
On a hill in Quebec City.
It's freezing outside.
Snow in your boots.
Ears ready to fall off.
And you're eating frozen tree sap on a stick.
Delicious.

(I once met a man in Split you detailed his weed trafficking route through Canada Laughing maybe I'll find him again and ask he ships out some of the good stuff (as in maple syrup)).

And thanks EyeKanFly. Indigenous Canadian and Inuit music (especially Inuit music) has never particularly received the praise it deserves in Canada. I find a lot of locals grow up learning about it more as a shtick, and not impressive music/art/something you listen to, etc. Even native art has been taught as 'cutesy', often in the shadow of European art, which has always bothered me. There's also some indigenous fusion for pop-oriented audiences, but it's usually quite bad. The purer it is with the least amount of production fiddling, the better. Especially for throat singing and 'vocal games', It's important it's intimate. Hoping you give some of the records there a chance Smile (could also give some recs that aren't on there too).

Last edited by Hayden on 04/01/2021 22:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/01/2021 22:57
  • Post subject:
I'm gonna guess it's better than the average supermarket sugar with maple syrup flavours. Trying the real American/Canadian pancakes with maple syrup is on my bucket list Very Happy But I still doubt it's gonna be as good as this chart, it's fantastic.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/01/2021 23:06
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
I'm gonna guess it's better than the average supermarket sugar with maple syrup flavours. Trying the real American/Canadian pancakes with maple syrup is on my bucket list Very Happy

Believe it or not, there's a huge difference between American and Canadian pancakes Laughing (maple syrup is not table syrup).

Look for Canadian grade A, dark. (I'm not going to shovel brands down anyone's throat, but you can't go wrong with Canadian Finest, Escuminac or just a good ol' bucket of Quebec pure).

Either way, glad you like the chart Razz
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2021 23:35
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
And thanks EyeKanFly. Indigenous Canadian and Inuit music (especially Inuit music) has never particularly received the praise it deserves in Canada. I find a lot of locals grow up learning about it more as a shtick, and not impressive music/art/something you listen to, etc. Even native art has been taught as 'cutesy', often in the shadow of European art, which has always bothered me. There's also some indigenous fusion for pop-oriented audiences, but it's usually quite bad. The purer it is with the least amount of production fiddling, the better. Especially for throat singing and 'vocal games', It's important it's intimate. Hoping you give some of the records there a chance Smile (could also give some recs that aren't on there too).

I've listened to a bit of Tuvan, Mongolian, and Tibetan throat singing, but reading about Inuit throat singing, it sounds like a completely different genre. I'm excited to check it out!

Hayden wrote:
Believe it or not, there's a huge difference between American and Canadian pancakes Laughing (maple syrup is not table syrup).

Look for Canadian grade A, dark. (I'm not going to shovel brands down anyone's throat, but you can't go wrong with Canadian Finest, Escuminac or just a good ol' bucket of Quebec pure).

Either way, glad you like the chart Razz

Table syrup is awful. If it's not refrigerated (and then heated up before smothering your pancakes, waffles, or French toast), it probably isn't good.

I'm also gonna have to say (as an American) that Vermont/Maine/New York (upstate NY) maple syrup is also very good, rivals the best that I've had in Quebec or Ontario. Personally the best I've ever had has been from Vermont with Quebec a close second.

Also note that "Grade A" does not mean dark on the US market. The US used to be backwards from the Canadian grading (C being darkest, A being lightest) and now it's even more confusing since they're all "Grade A". IDK, can't go wrong with one of the big beige jugs
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/02/2021 00:01
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

I'm also gonna have to say (as an American) that Vermont/Maine/New York (upstate NY) maple syrup is also very good, rivals the best that I've had in Quebec or Ontario. Personally the best I've ever had has been from Vermont with Quebec a close second.

Also note that "Grade A" does not mean dark on the US market. The US used to be backwards from the Canadian grading (C being darkest, A being lightest) and now it's even more confusing since they're all "Grade A". IDK, can't go wrong with one of the big beige jugs

Yeah, Vermont's got the good stuff too. No denying it.

(had no idea about the American rating scale— of course it's the opposite Laughing)

Quote:
I've listened to a bit of Tuvan, Mongolian, and Tibetan throat singing, but reading about Inuit throat singing, it sounds like a completely different genre. I'm excited to check it out!

It's a lot more playful. It's usually a group activity, almost like band members soloing. Not as droning either.

Last edited by Hayden on 04/02/2021 00:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2021 00:02
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

I have to throw in a plug here for Western Mass. maple syrup as well. 413 represent!

@LedZep, do they sell 100% real maple syrup in Croatian supermarkets? If so, it's almost certainly worth picking up some before you're in our neighborhood. Even mediocre pure maple syrup is far better than that flavored corn syrup.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2021 22:43
  • Post subject:
REAL maple syrup is the shit, as is the chart. I never found any in Germany or Austria or Japan or China.

Jeremy Dutcher? Great rec recently.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/02/2021 23:28
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I never found any in Germany or Austria or Japan or China.

Whhhaaat. Can't attest to China, but there's plenty of maple syrup in Germany and Austria, and Japan even makes the stuff (as well as importing millions of tonnes— they love maple everything there). Three of the biggest markets. Aldi buys a whole bunch of maple syrup every year, helps that Germans and Austrians have a crazy sweettooth. I've even seen real maple gummy bears in Vienna (didn't get them though Sad ). Being said, I don't blame you for not searching for it in any of those countries. Laughing

Glad you liked the Dutcher rec. Odd tones, but that album isn't like anything else I've ever heard, and ultimately I think it's pretty good. Talented young dude. Definitely wasn't going to leave him off.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2021 23:55
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I never found any in Germany or Austria or Japan or China.

Whhhaaat. Can't attest to China, but there's plenty of maple syrup in Germany and Austria, and Japan even makes the stuff (as well as importing millions of tonnes— they love maple everything there). Three of the biggest markets. Aldi buys a whole bunch of maple syrup every year, helps that Germans and Austrians have a crazy sweettooth. I've even seen real maple gummy bears in Vienna (didn't get them though Sad ). Being said, I don't blame you for not searching for it in any of those countries. Laughing

Glad you liked the Dutcher rec. Odd tones, but that album isn't like anything else I've ever heard, and ultimately I think it's pretty good. Talented young dude. Definitely wasn't going to leave him off.

That's true I didn't hunt it down, but definitely didn't see it (Aldi is less popular in Bavaria/Vienna, where I was most).

Actually it probably was in the walmart outside of Munich, but you are right I didn't hunt. I guess I was saying it wasn't ubiquitous. Just like I was able to find root beer flavoring to make my own root beer, and peanut butter I was able to find... but I had to hunt for it and for 2 years had it like once each. hehe

Note to self, don't get between Hayden and maple syrup (hehe, just messin).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/03/2021 00:55
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:

Note to self, don't get between Hayden and maple syrup (hehe, just messin).

I wanted to make sure that post came across with the least amount of aggression possible Laughing. As long as you don't come out swinging saying table syrup is better, we're good.

(Haven't been to Bavaria, but Vienna is stellar— only been for a couple days in winter, but it's probably one my favourite cities in Europe).
  • Visit poster's website