Chart talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424, 425, 426  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/16/2021 20:09
  • Post subject:
For those who have ever put pen to paper and been cursed with the burden of not knowing when to let go, I think I'm done—

Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Hayden

(I know this is an odd thing to update— think I'm finally happy with it though)
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 05/16/2021 21:01
  • Post subject:
So, you took the time to write all those verses having specifically those albums in mind, or was it stuff you had already written and then matched it?
Big props either way, it will take me some time to read it all - I am a painfully slow reader and I really believe in the power of repetition when it comes to literature of any kind - but the first signs are highly promising.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/16/2021 21:14
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
So, you took the time to write all those verses having specifically those albums in mind, or was it stuff you had already written and then matched it?

I'll say.... 60/40 on that one. A fair amount came from listening sessions of those albums (with a pen), and the remainder felt like decent fits from other writings. But ultimately there's a reason for each of those verses to pare with the album (occasionally the works were written for a different album too, but felt like they had a universal fit for several).

Two notes— the entry for Donuts is just copy/pasted from Wikipedia, and the Lee Scratch Perry record is a recipe I jotted for mannish water.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/17/2021 21:04
  • Post subject:
Yeah Hayden that's quite possibly the best chart on the site, especially with the upgraded poems. Really need to browse it sometime soon, there's a lot of gems. Maaaaybe a bit disappointed with the lack of hip hop? IDK, it looks great either way. Also didn't know you were a Bergtatt fan, maybe the biggest surprise on the whole thing.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2021 21:56
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Yeah Hayden that's quite possibly the best chart on the site, especially with the upgraded poems. Really need to browse it sometime soon, there's a lot of gems. Maaaaybe a bit disappointed with the lack of hip hop? IDK, it looks great either way. Also didn't know you were a Bergtatt fan, maybe the biggest surprise on the whole thing.

Yeah, that's new.

Over April (and even the beginning of this month) I decided to relisten to a couple of albums for (well, chart 'consideration'), and Bergtatt was one of them. Think it's the first metal album to land in my top 100 ever. It's just excellent. As someone who isn't exactly a metalhead, I love everything about it. Epic, cold, not too harsh, the musicianship is excellent, and somehow this frigid atmosphere they're composed is extremely welcoming/comforting/soft. The blend of black metal and folk gels better on there than any other record I've heard merging the two (even by Agalloch). Almost plays out like a nordic opera. The fact it runs less that 35 minutes really works to its advantage too. I'm not always in the mood for a 60+ minute record like that, and I feels up to hitting play on this anytime. After a translation of the lyrics, I was also a sucker for those (I'm very fond of folklore/fairytales, especially European). Felt overdue.

As for hip-hop, I've contemplated putting one of Danny Brown's records on there, but I'm not quite sure which just yet. Aquemini is practically always on the cusp too.

What I want is more punk though. Something like X-Ray Specs, The Clash, Patti Smith, etc. I know Fun House is there, but there should probably be more. Also, Talking Heads... Anxious

Overall charts are hard to make. 100 is so difficult Laughing I might seriously try a 250 one of these days.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 06/07/2021 20:49
  • Post subject:
Created a little Charles Mingus chart, which can be found on my diary, but I thought let's post it here as well.
Charles Mingus
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2021 16:13
  • Post subject:
1967 chart finished. What a great year, I'm glad I made a deep dive into it. Also apologies in advance for not having Banana album at #1.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=58314

I also went ahead and made a top hip-hop albums of the 2020's custom chart

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=67721
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2021 19:39
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
1967 chart finished. What a great year, I'm glad I made a deep dive into it. Also apologies in advance for not having Banana album at #1.

I also went ahead and made a top hip-hop albums of the 2020's custom chart

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=67721

Definitely gonna be pulling some recs from both, especially 1967. I'm digging the American primitivism representation. I feel like I've been fairly up-to-date with the major hip hop releases of the past couple years, but it always warrants a deeper dive.

On my end, I managed to round out my 1950s chart to a full 100. Not as impressive as 100 for a specific year, but still I'm proud of this. It's... overwhelmingly jazz, and not a ton of deep dives, but hey, it's a bunch of albums I love.
Top 100 Music Albums of the 1950s by EyeKanFly
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2021 22:00
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:

Excellent chart! There's a ton of stuff here that I will have to check out. I did a much shallower dive myself not too long ago, and it looks like it includes 22 albums that aren't in either of your charts. Here's my favorite, which former BEA regular Sandinistar recommended to me:

Higher And Higher by Jackie Wilson
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2021 22:12
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

Excellent chart! There's a ton of stuff here that I will have to check out. I did a much shallower dive myself not too long ago, and it looks like it includes 22 albums that aren't in either of your charts. Here's my favorite, which former BEA regular Sandinistar recommended to me:

Higher And Higher by Jackie Wilson

Cool! I'll check it out!
  • Visit poster's website