MLB 2020

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2020 04:22
  • Post subject: MLB 2020
It seems all too fitting the epidemic-shortened season should begin with a rain-shortened game. The Yanks beat the Nats today in a 5-inning game cut short by rain. It's understandable. Typically, they would either wait hours for the rain to stop and then finish the game even if it took until 2 in the morning, or they would resume/finish the game the next day. But what's the point in that this season? They would prolong games because fans were there and could keep buying concessions. But there will be no fans this year, so no point. I'm sure we'll see this often this season. Not to mention the players' health is more important this season. Several players have opted out of playing this season, while others have coronavirus and can't play. Meanwhile, there will be no minor leagues this year. So if a healthy player gets sick or injured, it's a bigger loss for the team. So I reckon that's another reason MLB will not stress finishing rain-interrupted games this season. No need to risk players' health.

How else will this season be different? Well, the DH will now be played in both leagues. I'm not a fan of that, but it makes sense in a shortened season. Teams will only play opponents in their region to cut down on travel. Also makes sense. But obviously the biggest change is 60 games as opposed to 162. It could be anybody's year. Good teams can have bad 60-game stretches, and vice versa. And if a key player takes a bad injury and goes on the IL, that could be critical for the team. We could see a ton of surprise teams this year. RockyRaccoon's Orioles, ChiefRocka's Royals, cestuneblague's Mariners? Maybe. You never know until they play (but probably not based on how they did last year). Baseball is meant to be a marathon, not a sprint. So to ensure the playoffs are inclusive enough for every remotely-worthy team, MLB increased the number of playoff teams from 10 to 16. This means it's very likely teams under .500 will make the playoffs. The playoffs will be kind of like the NBA, a 1 vs. 8 seed, 2 vs. 7, and so on. And the first round will be a best out of 3. Yeah there could be a ton of upsets in that round.

The 2020 season is going to be wacky for sure. I don't know what to predict. Division winners? Doesn't really matter who wins divisions this year due to the change in playoff format. The only thing I'm gonna predict is watch out for the Rays, a team notorious for getting off to a fast start (which is all a team needs this year).

I'm just glad MLB is back.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2020 05:18
  • Post subject:
Dodgers had a great start. Curious as to this article I read about a LAD/NYY world series... where the Dodgers choke once again (my take... probably should be more positive) and I wonder why I keep watching them... Laughing

But yeah - pretty crazy times. I guess Puig lost his deal with Atlanta kinda due to COVID... and couldn't be there for the birth of his child.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2020 05:01
  • Post subject:
Seems like only yesterday the season started and it's already over. Now it's playoff time. Go Dodgers!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2020 02:51
  • Post subject:
Hell Yes Bellinger!

Super disappointing game turning around, let's see if we can pull this off.. 2 outs and came up from an 8-3 score.

EDIT: but nope... the choke champs disappoint again. LA has a bad Lost Again juju I wish would go away.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 10/14/2020 07:33
  • Post subject:
are the Tigers good again yet

i havent watched baseball in a minute, but i assume they are still bad
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2020 00:10
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
are the Tigers good again yet

i havent watched baseball in a minute, but i assume they are still bad

Did not play 500 game ball this year and last in their division. Sorry mate.

But hell yes - I thought we were toast, seems like the momentum is keeping in the Dodgers favor. Seager is on fire, and with Turner it's often a 1-2 punch. Sure hope they get the chance they deserve after some poor sportsmanship cost them 2 world series.

Can we make it CA Dreamin?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2020 22:20
  • Post subject:
One shit play... super hoping this isn't a mental drainer for them.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2020 23:25
  • Post subject:
Just a personal thing...

Continued failure for the Dodgers keeps the baseball section of my brain from losing it.

Go Rays.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2020 23:29
  • Post subject:
That's ok - most of baseball has historically never really appreciated the dodgers.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2020 23:43
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
That's ok - most of baseball has historically never really appreciated the dodgers.

Also, I've always been a fan of teams from the NL West not from LA. I grew up a Braves fan (they were in the Dodger's division til the Rox were formed) , waiting for Denver to get a team. Been a Rockies fan since '93. And I lived in LA for a long time and experienced their home city fanbase firsthand. So my dislike is rooted deep.

It's been a great 30+ year run without having to hear it from those fans. I just hope it continues.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website