Music of the 2010's

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 12/18/2009 14:22
  • Post subject: Music of the 2010's
Rather than the ways we buy and listen to music (you can make another thread for that Wink ) how do you think music will develop this decade?

I know we don't know for sure yet but that's part of the fun, guessing. Razz

Do you think the 2010's will have it's own distinct sound? Or one that's a small change from the late 00's?

Will their be a Sex Pistols/Nirvana/Guns N Roses type group? (I know they don't sound similar, I suppose I mean a huge, mainstream and controversial group)

A return to simple chords progressions? More emphasis on melody? New genre's? Any old genre's with Nu or New added on the end?

I get excited just thinking about it. Smile
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 12/19/2009 06:26
  • Post subject: Re: Music of the 2010's
an_outlaw wrote:
how do you think music will develop this decade?

Do you think the 2010's will have it's own distinct sound? Or one that's a small change from the late 00's?

Will their be a Sex Pistols/Nirvana/Guns N Roses type group?... I mean a huge, mainstream and controversial group

A return to simple chords progressions? More emphasis on melody? New genre's? Any old genre's with Nu or New added on the end?

1. Hopefully it will develop and not rehash like this decade has. The 2010s might have a distinctive sound and in regards to pop, the genre of pop punk is becoming more prevalent with Green Day, Fall Out Boy and others getting more airplay.

2. In regards to the controversial group, no-one springs instantly to mind. But you could see more scandal from older muso's (eg. Tiger Woods scandal-esque).

3. I think the sales will still be made with generic pop. As for new genres, maybe jazz-punk, eighth wave ska or nu-new wave revival (NNWR for short) might be up there.

4. Finally, I am excited too. Wondering who will be the stadium rockers to surpass U2 and Coldplay.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2009 14:30
  • Post subject:
2010 should bring 3 new big stars and 1 new genre. Unfortunately sales will coninue to decline.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 12/19/2009 15:55
  • Post subject:
Some genres that will form in the next decade:

Experimental Girl Group
Math Rap
Gangsta Singer/Songwriter
Tweemo
Tweegaze-- bands so cute that they don't even have to play music; fans pay to gaze at them for 45-50 minutes.
Easy-Listening Harsh Noise
Ragtime Metal
Garage Jazz
Avant-Punk
Post-Music

and finally...the world will implode when the first acappella instrumental song is created. This decade will be interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/19/2009 22:35
  • Post subject: Re: Music of the 2010's
harkan wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
how do you think music will develop this decade?

Will their be a Sex Pistols/Nirvana/Guns N Roses type group?... I mean a huge, mainstream and controversial group

1. Hopefully it will develop and not rehash like this decade has. The 2010s might have a distinctive sound and in regards to pop, the genre of pop punk is becoming more prevalent with Green Day, Fall Out Boy and others getting more airplay.

2. In regards to the controversial group, no-one springs instantly to mind. But you could see more scandal from older muso's (eg. Tiger Woods scandal-esque).

3. I think the sales will still be made with generic pop. As for new genres, maybe jazz-punk, eighth wave ska or nu-new wave revival (NNWR for short) might be up there.

4. Finally, I am excited too. Wondering who will be the stadium rockers to surpass U2 and Coldplay.

Thanks for the replies everyone Razz

1. I hope too. Smile In regards to the pop punk, yes I am noticing that. Although I think Fall Out Boy will be gone a very long time and might not record an album next decade. Green Day will be around much longer(I can see them still playing shows in their late 50's). I can see Cobra Starship and 30 Seconds to Mars becoming bigger too.

2. I don't see it being someone who is already going, if this one does happen. Wink

3. Nu- New Wave Revival sounds interesting Smile lol

4. My money is firmly on the The Killers here.
Kiki

• Posted: 12/19/2009 22:48
  • Post subject:
Some random predictions:

. Two new U2 albums at the very least.

. The Killers will release their highest selling album. It will be like the"Joshua Tree" of their career.

. Billy Talent gets a number 1 either in the US or UK singles chart. (Seriously, their due something big)

. Coldplay split before 2020. Chris Martin will keep his word I think.

. Arctic Monkeys will do a "Pearl Jam" in term of album sales. Alex Turner becomes an "Indie guru" or fancies himself as one.

. Arcade Fire record another album which is considered a modern classic.

. No new Blur album all decade

. No new Kate Bush album either

Sorry if none of that made sense or you feel you wasted your time reading this post. Laughing More to come.

• Posted: 12/19/2009 23:07
  • Post subject:
I don't know just what's going to happen, but we've got a Democrat in office in an odd numbered decade. We all know how that went last time. Applause
  • Visit poster's website
RaineyWins

Ireland

• Posted: 12/20/2009 00:02
  • Post subject:
The rise of crappy R&B, will further..
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 12/20/2009 00:17
  • Post subject:
Not sure about general themes. I think that Muse is going to explode out of their world tour. Biggest excitement for me is whether Arcade Fire will top Funeral. Economics might drive the shape of music. Less money to be made and shared probably means even more one and two man acts, synths and computers. I personally hope to hear the end of lo-fi, no-fi shoegaze, noise .... and a renewed celebration of accomplished musicians playing traditional instruments.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Don Corleone

• Posted: 12/20/2009 00:42
  • Post subject:
The big return of FOLK
  • Visit poster's website