top 10 albums you never gave a chance

View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 12/19/2009 21:55
  • Post subject: top 10 albums you never gave a chance
Just some general suggestions, mostly for the alternative listener. I've catered this to this site's community, assuming most of you have heard Pere Ubu, FUGAZI, PJ Harvey, Stiff Little Finger's Inflammable Material etc. Here's some albums that, judging by how little these albums are favorited here and are found in "best of" charts, most of you probably haven't given a solid chance, with a short description of why you should give them a chance...

1. [b]Lou Reed- The Blue Mask[/b] By the time Reed released this, everyone had given up on him, especially after MMM, but this is (by the few publications that have rated it, and in my opinion) the best Lou Reed album. It features Robert Quine from the Voidoids and Waits' Rain Dogs, who is well known for his punk/jazz guitar (as Reed is) and the two create babies with their music; some of it is so ingenius you'll swear you've heard it before, because it's been copied, kind of like Wire's "Mercy." But the greatest reason to check this album out is that it has Reed not singing in monotone, with genuine emotion, to his best lyrics since Transformer and the Velvet days. Oh, and you'e skin will tingle and get goosebumps as you listen to "Blue Mask" and "Waves of Fear."
Key Tracks: Waves of Fear, Blue Mask, Heavenly Arms, Average Guy, Underneath the Bottle, (just get the whole album).

2. [b]Wire- Chairs Missing [/b] This pick is assuming you've heard Pink Flag, and if you haven't then you need to get on that. Well, this is just as perfect as Pink Flag, except Wire is more mature, makes use of synths and melodies and loops and other great studio stuff, and really makes an amazing record. The build up on "Mercy" has become cliche, and no one even knows where it comes from; Chairs Missing is one of the top 5 most influential records for 00s music without a doubt, if not the most influential. I really don't know how to describe that this is such a great record; to think that many people don't hear it because they stop at the more influential Pink Flag, what a mistake!
Key Tracks: I Am the Fly, Outdoor Miner, Heartbeat, Mercy, Practice Makes Perfect, (once again, just get the whole album)

3. [b]Gang of Four- Solid Gold[/b] The greatness doesn't stop at Entertainment!, and if you haven't heard Entertainment! then get both of these. A slower, more mature, more funky Gang of Four on this album.

4. [b]The Voidoids- Blank Generation[/b] What? every other CBGB act gets some love from you guys but it stops here? It shouldn't because, though this isn't as mature or polished as Talking Heads, Blondie, or Television, it's got a damn good guitarist in Robert Quine (again) and wordplay that effortlessly matches Television's in Richard Hell. I remember reading in a review that Quine invented the punk solo, if that further interests you...
Key Tracks: Rock in Roll Club, Blank Generation, Liars Beware, Walking on Water...

5. [b]Flipper- Generic[/b] It was one of Kurt Cobain's favorite for a reason, this is noise at it's greatest; better than Jesus Lizard, better than Butthole Surfers, better than Sonic Youth (that's right). You've never heard the nihilism and insanity that you hear on on "Ever" and "Sexbomb," respectively. This album, along with My War, are what slowed punk down and made grunge possible, and I think afew people here like that genre.
Key Tracks: Ever, Sex Bomb, Life, Nothing.

6. [b]The Damned-Machine Gun Etiquette[/b] Everyone's always name checking the Clash, the Sex Pistols, and the Buzzcocks, but knowing the Damned should be up on that list means you've got some knowledge in your skull. Their first couple albums almost parallel the Clash's, except they're less polished; their first album was straightforward and a jam, similar to Clash, and this album is their London Calling. Though not eclectic as London Calling, it is more so than most punk bands, and more so than most of the bands that get that adjective atached to them.
Key Tracks: Love Song, Smash It Up, I Just Can't Be Happy Today

7. [b]Black Flag- My War[/b] Most of you guys shrug off punk, and those that don't usually stop at Damaged, but you shouldn't, to either. Though they would reach maturation in Slip It In, My War had Black Flag slowing punk down and bringing in some metal influence: a mixture that would make grunge possible. Everyone calls on the Pixies for alot of the grunge produced, but this was more influential in its making, just listen to it.
Key Tracks: Swinging Man, I Love You, Scream

8. [b]Lou Reed- Metal Machine Music[/b] I know, I know. Just give it a second chance, no one has ever had the balls to do something like this before or after, give it a listen, however painful it may be. I find it's like foreign musics; I know when I first heard African rhythms I was all "what the hell is this, it's all the same," but it's not, and MMM isn't all the same either.
Key Tracks: (not really tracks, are there?)

9. [b]Public Image Ltd.- Compact Disc[/b] I think this might be John Lydon poking fun at how easy it is to make a pop record, but whatever he's trying to accomplish he does so with (strange for PIL) pop sensibility. This pick is assuming you've heard their more experimental Metal Box, and if you shouldn't, then you should listen to that as well; but if you want something more conventional try this album.

10. [b]The Ramones- Road to Ruin[/b] Everyone stops at Ramones and Rocket to Russia, maybe they get Leave Home, but this early album is just as key to their career. This album has them at their poppiest, yet roughest, and most differentiated sound (for all those who think every record sounds the same).
Key Tracks: I Wanna Be Sedated, Needles and Pins, Bad Brains (what the band is named after?), She's the One, I Just Wanna Have Something to do, I Don't Want You
Kiki

• Posted: 12/19/2009 22:20
  • Post subject:
I have listened to 6, 7 and 8 so far. I'll be sure to check all the others sometime soon. Razz And, yes, the Damned are incredibly underrated compared to The Clash.

• Posted: 12/19/2009 22:49
  • Post subject:
I cant think of any album i didn't give a chance.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/20/2009 06:01
  • Post subject:
Well, give them all a second chance...

• Posted: 12/20/2009 08:09
  • Post subject:
Yeah... that would take a while, a long while.
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 12/20/2009 09:31
  • Post subject:
1. Irrlicht - Klause Schultz Meh. It's just pulsating organ riffs droning on endlessly. It gets a bit boring. 1 YEAR LATER. THIS is music. This is MUSIC. Exactly what music should be. I can't think of a better example of what music is.

2. The Doors - The Doors Nothing special. Just a bunch of songs...HOLY FUCK. THIS IS PERFECT. OMG Listen to all the instruments at once and how perfectly they come together how did I MISS thAT???

3. Lorca - Tim Buckley What a pretencious load of garbage. Seriously man, you think you're profound because you do a bunch of awkwardly weird stuff? LATER. Hey, I really dig this I Had a Talk With My Women song...so tender and majestic. And that last track is pretty rollicking. AWHILE MORE LATER. omg this is like one of the best albums I've ever heard. Good thing I got into jazz music because it made me appreciate how structured and how much sense and care and craft is actually put into this album. A stunning acheievement. LATER. HOLY FUCK I LIKE IT.

4. Spiderland - Slint Hey, we're a bunch of nerds please think we're good because we do things quietly and loud though hehe. A BIT LATER. I still don't really like it all that much. Cool, but overrated. A BIT MORE LATER. Hey, this album is good. EVEN MORE LATER. Hey, it's actually really good.

5. For Alto - Anthony Braxton Holy shit listen to my noodling. I can noodle like no other fucking person, fucks. Yes, Mr. Braxton. Some impressive noodling. But wait, people actually think this is genious? Nonsense. LATER. Alright, maybe I'll sit down at this table and seriously try to listen to this album. I will focus all my attention on it and really try to listen to what he's doing. LATER. oh my Jesus I am spent. I can't even listen to this past the first 2 tracks AND ITS A DOUBLE ALBUM. Holy fuck. One of the most complex compositions ever done...like ever. ? Jesus. LATER. Hey, I'll listen to Anthony Braxton while shoveling some snow because he's suppose to be good but his music is really fucked. LATER. Holy fuck, Anthony Braxton is good snow shoveling music.

6. Twin Infinitives - Royal Trux Ugh, this music makes me feel like I have the flu, or like I'm coming down off magic mushrooms. Ugh. LATER. you give me tooooo. baby if ya show me i'll tell it to you assssk yooooou. so smOOTH and so TRUE. ASKK MEEEE/YOU. Ice cream? LATER. Okay, I can ONLY listen to this when I'm in the best of moods, otherwise it literally makes me feel like I'm coming down with something. Wait, guess I haven't really fully given this one a chance yet.

7. Parable of Arable Land - The Red Krayola Okay everybody, just beat the shit outta your shit. The pretencious twats will eat it up. LATER. omg I LOVE this guys voice and lyrics. In fact, I like the song parts of the album quite a bit. The rest is just a messy jumble though. LATER. TELL me there's not an absurd kind of concept that flows throughout this thing? I'm telling you, it all adds up.

8. Suicide - Suicide WHAHA CRAZY PSYCHO YELLING OVER SYNTH RIFFS AHAHAHAHHAH. later. HEY, DO YOU LIKE MY WHIMPERS? PRETTY WEIRD HUH THE ECHO EHHAHAEHHE. later. HEY THOSE SYNTHS ARE ACTUALLY PRETTY CATCHY EH, BUT MY VOICE IS THE BEST PART HEHE. I'M LIKE NO OTHER SINGER YOU EVER HEARD BECAUSE I LIKE, UH, WHISPER AND SHOUT AND DONT REALLY SING BUT KIND OF...LIKE, I JUST LIKE...I'M WEIRD EH HAEHHEHEHAEHHAEH. yes. you are pretty weird man. I like you. You scare me. You are quite the elegant nihilist, I will grant you that. EHEHEHE THANKS. by the way, the whole album is really great. Frankie Teardrop is ridiculously haunting. Seriously I get tears in my eyes when listening to that shit. OH, WHY THANKS. WE QUITE LIKED THAT ONE OURSELVES. NICE CHATTING WITH YOU. Yeah, you too. SAY YOU WANT TO GET A DRINK? A drink? YEAH. I KNOW A PLACE. Okay. But I. I've never really. IT'S OKAY. YOU DON'T HAVE TO. But I want to. HEY DON'T WORRY. THERE'S NO RUSH. WE'LL JUST START WITH A DRINK. Okay : )
  • Visit poster's website