Total Votes : 23

Saoirse

• Posted: 05/29/2013 16:40
  • Post subject: CLOSED- BNMAT- The Seer def Blood Visions
THE SEER by Swans(captain: Tekin)

The Seer by Swans

Year Released: 2012

VS

BLOOD VISIONS by Jay Reatard(captain: Happymeal)

Blood Visions by Jay Reatard

Year Released: 2006

12-24 hour period before polls open

Last edited by Saoirse on 06/02/2013 18:46; edited 2 times in total
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/29/2013 19:10
  • Post subject:
Jay Reatard is a fairly interesting artist. I first found out about him through some video game that i can't quite remember the name, but boy did it turn me on to one of the best artists of this past decade (even in the 90's he was a part of a few really good albums. Check out The Reatards' album teenage hate if you ever get the chance to). I could steal a bit of history off of wikipedia, but you can look that up if you wanted to. The best I can do here is explain my journey into this album as well as Jay Reatard's discography (I haven't heard all the albums he has ever played in, but I've listened to most of his solo stuff if not all).

Anyways, the first release I've heard by him was actually an ep called night of broken glass which starts off with a great start. It starts off with a really cool intro to the song "night of broken glass" and leads into this really energetic part and those are basically the chorus/verse sections of that song blah blah blah (I'm no good at describing songs). The thing is that what turns me onto jay reatard most is the energy displayed in his songs. They're just "insane" and really cool. I think he makes really nice punk, plus the musical arrangements are really catchy and what not (in my opinion).

The next releases I decided to check out were actually two (different) compilations by him. One called Singles 06-07 which I really loved for the same reasons I love most of his stuff. the next was one called Matador Singles '08. At first I didn't really like this one, but a few months back, I came back to it and loved it like most of his other stuff. Anyways, there's that bit of history for you. Onto to one of the most overlooked (and best) albums in the past decade.

Blood Visions

This album starts off with the track "Blood Visions"...

Link

and this song is killer. It's got a pretty catchy chorus with "ohh, these things will change" which I really love, but after the first chorus there's this little keyboard (I think it's a keyboard) rift and it just shows how well Jay reatard is with instrumentation. But, the best part is, of course, the energy presented throughout the song, and Jay Reatard really shows he can rock out.

The next two tracks also have really nice rock out type styles and not much else to comment there other than it's just awesome, but what turned me on most to this album is the 4th track...

Link

"My Shadow". This was the first Jay Reatard song I've ever heard actually. Just a really nice energetic piece of "punk rock" (I'm no good with genres) which has a really catchy chorus and guitar rift. This is Jay Reatard's "masterpiece" as far as songs goes. It brings together all the things I love about his music, really nice and energetic instrumentation and having really catchy songs. One of the best songs I've ever heard. A cool little story here. I used to show one of my friends quite a few songs at some point last year. I showed him this song, and he enjoyed it quite some bit.

Anyways, really, I'd probably say the same thing for the rest of the album. Just nice little rockers with a ton of energy put into them that are also really catchy (I'm not too good with this describing what I like most stuff so meh). Just a really nice album in general, and I highly recommend it. One of my favorites and hopefully you will like it too!

Also, Vote Blood Visions!

Last edited by Happymeal on 05/29/2013 19:13; edited 1 time in total
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2013 19:12
  • Post subject:
RIP Jay Reatard
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/31/2013 01:20
  • Post subject:
I guess even my promotion....

Link

Ain't gonna save him.
Silver

• Posted: 05/31/2013 02:37
  • Post subject:
The Seer has my vote.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2013 02:38
  • Post subject:
Re listened to the Seer a couple days ago, absolute masterpeice. One of Swans finest achievements.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/31/2013 03:05
  • Post subject:
I quite like The Seer, but it's ridiculous. Like actually ridiculous. And not in a good way. Voted Blood Visions.
undefined

• Posted: 05/31/2013 04:02
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I quite like The Seer, but it's ridiculous. Like actually ridiculous. And not in a good way.

Hm what do you mean exactly?
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/31/2013 05:56
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I quite like The Seer, but it's ridiculous. Like actually ridiculous. And not in a good way. Voted Blood Visions.

I really think it's ridiculous, which I quite enjoyed and found was a welcome turn of events for the over serious Swans. 'Lunacy' is hilarious.

I'm voting for The Seer. I only discovered Jay Reatard through this competition, and quite enjoyed the record, so thanks, but The Seer is really very good.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/31/2013 13:07
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Hm what do you mean exactly?

It's overwrought and it all feels a bit throw-the-kitchen-sink-at-it, and it takes itself far too seriously. Or maybe it's me taking it too seriously. As I said, I like the album. It made my Top 30 or 40 of last year. Like Norman, I too found 'Lunacy' hilarious, though not in a way that made me think it was a better song. It's not bombastic or masturbatory or any of the other adjectives I like to throw about when referring to music I find "ridiculous" (if you willfully ignore my opening sentence, that is), and I apologise that I can't put a finger on it any more succinctly, but I just find it all somewhat ridiculous. That said, and to reiterate, I do enjoy it. I just think it could have been improved if they'd toned it down a little. I think I'm in the minority here though.