10%
 10%  [15]
Don't care (aka apatheist)
7%
 7%  [11]
Total Votes : 149

• Posted: 06/02/2013 02:00
  • Post subject: What's Your Religion?
Obvious enough question that I haven't seen posted. Anyway, I'm curious. I've noticed a lot of people openly claim to be atheist on this site, which is interesting. So which category do you belong to?

Anyone, I'm a rather devout atheist myself. I have no problems with people who are religious unless they're actively infringing upon free society in the process, but I'm personally not. I was, however, raised in a Christian family, and I've read the entire Bible twice (and rather appreciate it as a piece of literature).

Also, I didn't include agnostic, ignostic, etc. because they aren't mutually exclusive with anything else in this poll. If any of those apply to you, feel free to say so in your response.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2013 02:23
  • Post subject:
While I disagree with the term, I am a radical atheist. Not that I'm very radical, but as someone smarter said before me, I just want to make it clear that I am not a doubter. There is no god. Simple as that. There is no reasonable reason to believe in one and even if willing it worked, mankind is better off without religion than with it, so it still wouldn't be a good thing.

I was raised agnostic lutheran like most swedes of my era. Don't have any traumatic experiences with religion that formed my view on god and religion. Just used common sense to get to the only reasonable conclusion.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/02/2013 03:02
  • Post subject:
I'm an atheist, because I think there is no proof whatsoever to the existence of a god. I'm not 100% positive there is not a god, just as I'm not 100% positive there's not a magical teapot floating in space, there aren't invisible gnomes stalking me, and there isn't an invisible, untouchable, unsmellable and unperceivable unicorn in my room - there's no proof either exist, so I live my life accordingly. That said, it is certainly possible that there's a god, just as it is possible that we're all brains in vats - I'm not going to go ahead and claim either statement as undoubtedly true or false, but it would be silly to believe in these with 0 proof. So yeah, I'm an atheist and behave like one, but there's still a possibility, albeit highly unlikely, that I'm wrong.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2013 03:08
  • Post subject:
Yeah yeah yeah. Of course there is a possibility. This is the only issue where people feel that necessary to add though. It is also quite possible that the Bruins didn't just beat the Penguins, but reasonable people find it not needed to add that in every time.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2013 03:25
  • Post subject:
I was raised by a fucked up Catholic mother who stopped going to church (and everything that went along with it) when they decided to introduce guitar masses. Because, you know, rock and roll people play guitars. And guitars are from the devil. I then was recruited by one of the local churches to ride their "Joy Bus" and sing loudly out the windows of it in the hopes that it would attract more kids like me. I was a social outcast, and it seemed to me that if I played this church thing right, I could maybe bang some of the hot chicks in the youth group. I was in.

When the whole banging hot chicks angle didn't work out (I was still a social outcast), I decided to check out the whole religion thing for reals. I read my bible, and I went to as many different kinds of churches as I could find. Seems they all had youth groups full of hot chicks that I couldn't bang, but I was into more serious matters. I watched Pentecostals roll on the floor. I watched people speak in tongues. I listened to people make more shit up than in all the movies I've watched in my lifetime combined in the name of passing the almighty plate. When I started playing the devils music, I was magically transformed from social outcast to the guy who was banging all the hot chicks the guys at church couldn't touch. And I figured out that for me, religion is a dirty word.

Some people need the structure of an organized religion to tell them that when they sin, it's okay...Jesus has got your back. Some people need to feel that being baptized has saved their souls. Some people need someone else to tell them what the bible says, and some people need someone to tell them what's right and what's wrong. If it works for you (meaning if it brings you some peace to your troubled soul), that's great. Good for you. Don't push it on me, because I will show you just how many different ways I will burn in whatever hell you believe in.

Religion? Religion is a dirty word. To me, it means "who do you follow, who do you let lead you around, and who do you let tell you what you should and shouldn't do". Religion is not for me. I think of religion as a cult, a channel on the Home Shopping Network, a secret government organization that tells its followers that the sky is falling. I see religions saying that their God is loving, and in the same breath threatening you with a one way trip to the bowels of hell. I believe that in this life, you find your way. You do the best you can, and you deal with things as a person. You try to make your time here as good as possible. Surround yourself with people who are potentially good for you, and hope it all works out. Try to live a good life. And whatever it is that you find that works for you, don't push it on anyone else...because we are all different, and what works for me will probably not work for you.

Oh...and I worship this song.

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/02/2013 03:40
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Yeah yeah yeah. Of course there is a possibility. This is the only issue where people feel that necessary to add though. It is also quite possible that the Bruins didn't just beat the Penguins, but reasonable people find it not needed to add that in every time.

I was on this extremely christian school, I've grown accustomed to adding that whenever I talk about religion. It should be unnecessary, I agree, but apparently most religious fanatics need that disclaimer or they get offended.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/02/2013 03:55
  • Post subject:
I mean, I dunno. I don't really care as to whether a god or exists or not. Doesn't really excite me so I haven't made a decision on that. It's not that I do believe in a god or I don't believe in a god, I just don't give much of a fuck. I guess you could say that I don't believe in a god because I don't care, whichever way. There's nothing to really motivate me to care about whether I'm religious or not, though if I were to go to a church, it would probably be solely for the community. Meh, I guess I'm just trying to say it doesn't exactly matter in the end cause even if I were religious, I'd still do whatever the fuck I'd want (within certain limits of course).

• Posted: 06/02/2013 07:00
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:

Right. We shouldn't have to add that, but we do, or else we run the risk of offending someone's beliefs. See, in an ideal world, a woman who survives the Moore, OK tornado should be able to just tell Wolf Blitzer that she's an atheist when asked if she thanked the lord for her survival, she shouldn't have to append that she doesn't blame anyone for thanking the lord. But she does. If she doesn't, people will see that news clip and get upset with her for pushing her beliefs on people, for publicly admitting that she is an atheist on CNN, where their children might see it and get the idea that being an atheist is okay. This is the world we live in. It's irritating, but sometimes you just have to add on the "I'm not 100% sure" part or else you run the risk of pissing a whole bunch of people right the fuck off. And sometimes pissing people right the fuck off for the sake of your principles is necessary, but sometimes it's just not worth the hoopla.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/02/2013 07:05
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
While I disagree with the term, I am a radical atheist. Not that I'm very radical, but as someone smarter said before me, I just want to make it clear that I am not a doubter. There is no god. Simple as that. There is no reasonable reason to believe in one and even if willing it worked, mankind is better off without religion than with it, so it still wouldn't be a good thing.

First, I'm an atheist too. There is no God. That said, I disagree with the highlighted part. I sincerely believe that believing there is a God makes your life easier, allowing to hide behind all sorts of unexplainable determinisms/supreme being's unscrutable will which must help a lot when life is extremely hard on you. Of course, churches have perfectly understood this and bank on that. But I perfectly understand how you would bet on God rather than bet on the contrary. A lot of things to be gained in believing.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/02/2013 07:07
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
First, I'm an atheist too. There is no God. That said, I disagree with the highlighted part. I sincerely believe that believing there is a God makes your life easier, allowing to hide behind all sorts of unexplainable determinisms/supreme being's unscrutable will which must help a lot when life is extremely hard on you. Of course, churches have perfectly understood this and bank on that. But I perfectly understand how you would bet on God rather than bet on the contrary. A lot of things to be gained in believing.

It sounds like you're saying that religion might make people feel better about their lives, which certainly can't be denied, but to me that's very much distinct from saying that it makes life better for them, or that it improves life for mankind as a whole. Did I misinterpret you?

Also, are people just fuckin' around or are there actually Confucians and Zoroastrians on this site? I'm genuinely curious.