Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2009 16:51
  • Post subject: Avatar
OK yesterday I went to see this movie...I wasn't sure what to expect. When it was over, the first words out of my mouth were "holy shit." Seriously. This movie will blow your mind. The CGI is so good, that...holy shit. No movie has broken so much ground in special effects since Star Wars. The plot is solid, if a little predictable and unoriginal (like sci-fi dances with wolves, by halfway through you can pretty much guess the rest). But who gives? If you don't see this film you will shoot yourself.

I think I have to invent a new world for this movie: eyegasm.
purple

• Posted: 12/24/2009 20:30
  • Post subject:
This movie had the greatest potential of any blockbuster to be the worst thing released ever, but I've heard nothing but good things. This was the last straw, I think I'll see it today. Oh, and eyegasm has been around for awhile; you really have to be inventive with the -gasm suffix nowadays.
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2009 17:47
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
Oh, and eyegasm has been around for awhile; you really have to be inventive with the -gasm suffix nowadays.

Damn.
dp39

• Posted: 01/01/2010 18:00
  • Post subject:
it was ok.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 01/01/2010 19:09
  • Post subject:
Avatar or how the ecofriendly tree-dwelling blue chamans have their world destroyed by the mean-capitalist-fascists.

But then we almost had a Na'vi sex scene...
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/08/2010 03:42
  • Post subject:
I finally saw this yesterday and it was the biggest disappointment; entertaining enough for me not to walk out, but I don't think I'll be watching it again. I WAS EXPECTING AWESOMENESS
theharrisonfords

• Posted: 01/08/2010 05:33
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
I WAS EXPECTING AWESOMENESS

Were we watching the same movie? All I saw for nearly three hours was awesomeness. I can say that I saw it at a imax, so it might be a different experience. I was blown away by the visual effects. I suppose this movie will really hurt in dvd sales, though, because it seems to be a cinematic experience only. I won't be watching it any other way, because it would take too much from it.
purple

• Posted: 01/08/2010 17:17
  • Post subject:
I know I can't expect a film to be completely original, but every five minutes I was saying "Wow, I can't believe they complety ripped that off" to myself. I don't care about the "Dances with Wolves in Space" criticism but here's what I started to get irritated about:

The charge of their horses and elephant creature things was straight out of LOTR: Return of the King. The rebellion of the planet against the invaders, through its animals, was straight from a backstory in the Magic the Gathering card game. The cool, lush environment of the world was not one ounce cooler, or lusher, than Metroid Prime's from the gamecube. The coolest plant was just a mollusk shell painted purple that would shrink, the tree of life thing is straight out of Final Fantasy and countless other games/stories; also, final fantasy, spirits within. I had seen all the mecha stuff before in Matrix Revolutions and the way people "jacked in" and fell when they jacked out alive was straight out of the Matrix, but without the fatal consequences (except in the end). I remember the cool zoom in shot when the bomber is about to drop shit on the tree is the same shot used several times in Gears of War. When the ground lit up as the Navi walked on it, I was reminded of Princess Mononoke. And the kicker is that the sound the horse-things the Navi rode is the exact same sound-bit as the velociraptors from Jurassic Park.

I know I am a complete nerd to be pulling all these references out of my ass, but it's like James Cameron stole content from LOTR, Final Fantasy, Metroid, Matrix, Magic the Gathering, and a couple other sources and its not better than one of the things it stole content from. If it were more entertaining and better, then it would be cool, but I promise you reading the backstory to Magic the Gathering and looking at the card art is more entertaining than the fifteen minutes where the animals rebel. The only redeeming quality about this film is the leaps and bounds it made in 3d animation, but that doesn't really matter: would you rather see your favorite film normally, in HD, or do you even give a shit? because its not your favorite film for graphics (hopefully), its your favorite film for content.

Anyway, I'm sorry to rant, but I am utterly amazed this shit is getting Oscar buzz and has a 90%+ average on aggregates (usually reserved for Oscar worthy films). wtf
Kiki

• Posted: 01/08/2010 17:34
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
I know I can't expect a film to be completely original, but every five minutes I was saying "Wow, I can't believe they complety ripped that off" to myself. I don't care about the "Dances with Wolves in Space" criticism but here's what I started to get irritated about:

The charge of their horses and elephant creature things was straight out of LOTR: Return of the King. The rebellion of the planet against the invaders, through its animals, was straight from a backstory in the Magic the Gathering card game. The cool, lush environment of the world was not one ounce cooler, or lusher, than Metroid Prime's from the gamecube. The coolest plant was just a mollusk shell painted purple that would shrink, the tree of life thing is straight out of Final Fantasy and countless other games/stories; also, final fantasy, spirits within. I had seen all the mecha stuff before in Matrix Revolutions and the way people "jacked in" and fell when they jacked out alive was straight out of the Matrix, but without the fatal consequences (except in the end). I remember the cool zoom in shot when the bomber is about to drop shit on the tree is the same shot used several times in Gears of War. When the ground lit up as the Navi walked on it, I was reminded of Princess Mononoke. And the kicker is that the sound the horse-things the Navi rode is the exact same sound-bit as the velociraptors from Jurassic Park.

I know I am a complete nerd to be pulling all these references out of my ass, but it's like James Cameron stole content from LOTR, Final Fantasy, Metroid, Matrix, Magic the Gathering, and a couple other sources and its not better than one of the things it stole content from. If it were more entertaining and better, then it would be cool, but I promise you reading the backstory to Magic the Gathering and looking at the card art is more entertaining than the fifteen minutes where the animals rebel. The only redeeming quality about this film is the leaps and bounds it made in 3d animation, but that doesn't really matter: would you rather see your favorite film normally, in HD, or do you even give a shit? because its not your favorite film for graphics (hopefully), its your favorite film for content.

Anyway, I'm sorry to rant, but I am utterly amazed this shit is getting Oscar buzz and has a 90%+ average on aggregates (usually reserved for Oscar worthy films). wtf

I haven't watched the movie yet but I would give the creator some credit for creating a new world. It would be a a very difficult task to create one which is 100% original without taking idea's from another. I know you can't copy stuff completely and it is always good to add your own twist on it. I'm writing a fantasy novel right now and I have only got as far as I have by taking inspiration from other worlds. Well that's my opinion anyway Rolling Eyes
maxperenchio

• Posted: 01/12/2010 18:42
  • Post subject:
As far as I'm concerned if you are really sitting around and criticizing this movie, you have to lighten the fuck up. While you were crying in your chair about how unoriginal it was, i was the dude sitting in back of you high as balls, wearing 3d glasses, and playing constant air guitar. I'd love to see a list of movies you DO like!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email