Profile expansion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/28/2009 13:13
  • Post subject: Profile expansion
Hello Albummaster!

... I believe I've discovered a new way to burden you with work!

There have been threads started in the forums about "How old are you?" favourite films etc.

I think out of a desire to know who people are dealing with, so to speak. not so much to know everything about others on the site, but to understand where they are coming from, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps the profile section then could be expanded, to include these things like favourite film/s colour, starsign (?), favourite colour, time of day for a shit etc.

that way when you read a post by someone, all this could be taken into account with regard to their opinions on things, and mis- understandings may be avoided, and potential offence may be averted through placing those opinions in this context.

... Oh ,and while you're at it, how about 3D visuals, a Radio station that plays selections of those best ever albums while you're browsing or a playlist function, a coffee machine, pool table, and a buffett?

and if you could do it by Friday would be great!

Thank you.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/29/2009 13:28
  • Post subject: Re: Profile expansion
badfaith wrote:
Hello Albummaster!

... I believe I've discovered a new way to burden you with work!

There have been threads started in the forums about "How old are you?" favourite films etc.

I think out of a desire to know who people are dealing with, so to speak. not so much to know everything about others on the site, but to understand where they are coming from, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps the profile section then could be expanded, to include these things like favourite film/s colour, starsign (?), favourite colour, time of day for a shit etc.

that way when you read a post by someone, all this could be taken into account with regard to their opinions on things, and mis- understandings may be avoided, and potential offence may be averted through placing those opinions in this context.

... Oh ,and while you're at it, how about 3D visuals, a Radio station that plays selections of those best ever albums while you're browsing or a playlist function, a coffee machine, pool table, and a buffett?

and if you could do it by Friday would be great!

Thank you.

Smile

best time of day for a shit would certainly be useful to know when gauging user taste; also how about turd diameter and length, aroma, solid/liquid ratio ?

Yes, we could add some extra questions to the user profile which could act as a reference point when evaluating user taste, I think that's a good idea. If we could ask three extra questions, what would they be?

(We don't want to make the profilt questionnaire too long as it would put people off, so I think a maximum of three extra questions would be about the limit).
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2009 14:13
  • Post subject:
Birthday: Your birthday. This information is used for displaying your username in the Birthday section of the Board Index. If year is specified, your age will be displayed in your profile.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/30/2009 13:16
  • Post subject:
Wow... I didn't think you'd go for that, but hey, groovy!

I think the questions should be relevant to the site, so as Naples said, age or birthday ( perhaps just birth-year so as not to be too specific or unsound in the personal security stakes), this and other such questions show why people like a certain kind of music, and a general feel of cultural background.

The aim would be to be illuminating without being intrusive.

...so perhaps the "interests" section would be the most useful in this regard- and could be expanded and made more specific such as, um, favourite books, authors, films, heroes ( my mind is a blank now I've been put on the spot!) This would warrant further discussion to gauge peoples feelings about it.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/30/2009 21:10
  • Post subject:
I do like the birthday aspect. Just for the sake of well wishing among friends or acquaintances. Not necessarily year, that could encourage agism.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/30/2009 21:22
  • Post subject:
agreed - I think how RFNAPLES originally suggested would be the way to do it. We'll leave the year of birth as optional (in fact, the whole field will be optional for those people that want to fill it out.)
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/31/2009 12:59
  • Post subject:
...and the coffee machine?
  • Visit poster's website
Richie Hunt

• Posted: 12/31/2009 14:50
  • Post subject:
well that leaves us with just 2 questions...

my suggestions are

1. (a drop down box to select the answer to...) if you are one of the 7 dwarfs which one are you? or if you are of the female variety you can just select snow white.

2. Are you a lonely old crusty fart fronting as a sexy pimple faced computer geek teenager who loves 'world of warcraft' just to pick up chicks? (select from the following) a. Ugh, well um, how did urh, of course not! b. No, I hate peadophiles almost as much as i hate missing out on friday night drinks and infidelity. c. shall we goto jail now? d. Im only hot for Richie
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/01/2010 12:58
  • Post subject:
Actually, that's a good point... I was thinking that the main concern was the advantages of having an idea of who you are talking to weighed against providing too much info for a hacker type of some sort- but there is also that personal safety aspect- nefarious groomer types and other loathesome characters.... perhaps any such additions should carry a warning ( I know, everyone is probably aware of all this in this day and age, but the unwary continue to feature in the news too often, and a friendly reminder wouldn't hurt I suppose)

... which is why I think the kind of info provided needs further discussion and consensus.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2010 13:32
  • Post subject:
Regarding Birthday and all other profile information: It is OPTIONAL. If you don't want to provide it don't.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website