Full Profile Pages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 07/11/2013 18:54
  • Post subject:
How about have it as an option, like how one can privatize their chart.

What I like about it is that one can use it to write about what's currently going on for them musically (or in life if they wish). Like, what are their latest discoveries? Sort of like a blog in a sense. ...if I'm understanding this right. If I'm not, then what I'm saying is basically having your profile page be a place to make your own personal thread (or maybe multiple threads?).

So yea, different from chart page, and it can still be relevant to music.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/11/2013 18:58
  • Post subject:
@Gowi
First off, you have to realize this site is pretty much a one-man job. So with all the things already planned, people are always gonna be hesitant to add more work-load on top of that. I guess the question here is, will this really mean added value to the site? I mean, outside of forums users still either chat on each other's charts or they take it to the PMs. Is a shoutbox really gonna add that much to what's already in place?

Personally I could agree on the option to expand your profile a bit, maybe add some more space where you could write whatever you want about yourself that you can't right now. But I wouldn't introduce an entirely new feature.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/11/2013 19:03
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
@Gowi
First off, you have to realize this site is pretty much a one-man job. So with all the things already planned, people are always gonna be hesitant to add more work-load on top of that. I guess the question here is, will this really mean added value to the site? I mean, outside of forums users still either chat on each other's charts or they take it to the PMs. Is a shoutbox really gonna add that much to what's already in place?

Personally I could agree on the option to expand your profile a bit, maybe add some more space where you could write whatever you want about yourself that you can't right now. But I wouldn't introduce an entirely new feature.

A pretty damn excellent website for a one-man job. I would say holy shit if I felt it represented my surprise correctly.

As for PM vs Shoutbox point you made: I don't know if I'm in the majority or the minority on RYM or last.fm for this but... I don't use PMs unless I have to. However I have posted a shit ton on shoutboxes and at least personally add a bit of wealth to the experience. Also, I do believe "chatting on charts" back and forth does seem to throw the stream of consciousness of the chart discussion off the track.

But yeah, you're probably right; it's work the admin shouldn't need to do.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/11/2013 19:05
  • Post subject:
I don't think it's a pressing issue either.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/11/2013 19:11
  • Post subject:
I never imagined it as a pressing issue, to be fair. Razz
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/11/2013 19:19
  • Post subject:
I also don't see why we should hold back on ideas either. If AlbumMaster finds the idea agreeable, AM will add it to the "list" anyway, and deal with it whenever AM feels like it. I don't think there should be a rush just because the idea has been presented, and AM proves to bring a steady level of improvement to the website so I'm also not worried about AM ever getting to it.

Basically, I think it's a decent idea worth exploring, let's not worry about albummaster. AM could add it in 3 years as far as I'm concerned.
JMan

• Posted: 07/11/2013 23:54
  • Post subject:
I was not trying to come up with any kind of popularity contest, I just thought the profile pages could look a little less... gray. I'd like to add some color to mine, figuratively and literally.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/12/2013 09:30
  • Post subject:
JMan, we could add an 'about' box or something to your profile where you could write a short bio or whatever you want. I think there's already enough fields to capture your interests etc and I'd like to keep the site focused on music. I'm not entirely convinced about shout boxes as they might end up being another area of the site that needs to be monitored because of the potential for abuse. I quite like The Poe's idea of a blog or journal, but I wish I had ten pairs of hands to do all of the work!

19loveless91 is right that the main issue with running BEA is having enough time to do everything that everybody has suggested. The things that tend to be done the quickest on BEA are issues that directly relate to the operation of the main site, which usually means fixing bugs, making performance/scalability improvements, improving the admin aspects of the site, and enhancing the functionality that relate to the charts (the forums represent only about 5% of the whole site in terms of code but tend to be the area that people are focused on because that is where we mainly interact).

Pretty much everything suggested on the forum is given proper consideration. Some ideas die in the thread after they've been debated, others evolve into something else, but pretty much every valid idea is captured on a 'list' for implementation at a later date, and every idea then gets re-prioritised when each new release is planned.

I felt that I wasn't accomplishing enough in a monthly release cycle to justify all of the testing that needs to happen to get each release out of the door (the test cycle has been getting longer and longer as the site has grown which was severely limiting the amount of time that I could spend on development). The next update should be released before the end of August & it will contain far more changes than normal.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/12/2013 09:45
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
The next update should be released before the end of August & it will contain far more changes than normal.

This excites me. Great work!