Illegal Downloads on forum?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/12/2013 00:16
  • Post subject: Illegal Downloads on forum?
There is a thread with questionable content. User named Defago is linking to page where people can be linked to illegal downloads. It has been put up for a while now and I don't see how it can really stay up. No ones really been addressing it at all. Some users have taken away the middle man and are posting links straight onto the forum. Having such a thing linked here at all could jeopardize the website.

http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=7582

Have they been told they can do this?[/u]
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 07/12/2013 00:26
  • Post subject:
There is a link to a google doc, albummaster's gaff ain't finna get raided over that, bruh
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 07/12/2013 03:05
  • Post subject:
As DLGGLD said, it's a link to a document, which has links to dropboxes, spotify, youtubes, and upload/torrent sites. No direct link is in the forums, and no direct link is in the document, they all redirect to a third site. If AM has a problem with this I could always find another way to make the tournament's picks available for everyone.

Also most of the downloads are from bandcamps/youtube making them legal.

I do agree with the necessity to avoid direct links being posted directly on comments, that should be removed and wasn't what was intended.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/12/2013 07:04
  • Post subject:
I don't see a problem with this specific case. However if there are methods alternative to (illegal/unauthorized) torrents, I suppose they should be emphasized in the google doc. (The note in the parenthesis is meant to mean that not all torrenting is illegal, a torrent is just a way to download something, it doesn't necessarily imply "pirating" or anything illegal).
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/12/2013 08:34
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
As DLGGLD said, it's a link to a document, which has links to dropboxes, spotify, youtubes, and upload/torrent sites. No direct link is in the forums, and no direct link is in the document, they all redirect to a third site. If AM has a problem with this I could always find another way to make the tournament's picks available for everyone.

Also most of the downloads are from bandcamps/youtube making them legal.

I do agree with the necessity to avoid direct links being posted directly on comments, that should be removed and wasn't what was intended.

People need to be very careful with linking to illegal downloads from BEA. Linking to streams would have been better from a legal point of view. The Google doc contains links to PirateBay, DropBox etc, so I can't imagine all of the linked files are legal, & it contains BEA's name at the top, which I wish it shouldn't, as it insinuates BEA approves this type of activity when BEA has had nothing to do with creating the file or any of its content.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 07/12/2013 13:21
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
it contains BEA's name at the top, which I wish it shouldn't, as it insinuates BEA approves this type of activity when BEA has had nothing to do with creating the file or any of its content.

Changed. If there's anything else you'd like me to change/do I'll be happy to.
  • Visit poster's website