The Games Forum Suggestions Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/20/2013 23:00
  • Post subject:
This tournament sounds very interesting. Love all the tournies going on too. That being said, sub - forums are looking more and more fruitful with everything going on right now.

Anyways, can't wait to see the final result of everything going on! Great things are happening!
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2013 23:52
  • Post subject:
So we have 3 tournaments going on right now, a Best Rapper, Best Rap Song, and Best Year tournaments still unfinished, and a planned Out of the top 1000, Best Debut, and Best Band Member tournament in the work.

We need to prioritize here.

We have 3 going on atm, and it looks like we can barely handle that(active threads are being pushed to the next page). So lets say we stick with 3 at a time, Best New User should end first, at the rate its going, with PPNW ending a bit after, and Best New Album extending far into the year. With 2 of them ending in the near future, we need to decide what we want for the next 2. Do we decide to finish what we already started, or decide that too much time has passed and that we should move on? If we decide to keep going with the old ones, we need to decide which ones to start first(Probably the ones that are farther along, so they can finish sooner). Or if we decide to go with the new ones, we also need to decide which ones to go forward with.

Personally, I think the "Out of the top 1000" would be the most interesting, as it would expose people to the most new music. I also think that the Best Debut tourney, would be slightly more predictable, and ergo be less interesting. I also believe that the "Best Band Member" tourney has a few kinks that need to be worked out, as many people(including me) are still a bit confused on the rules. I also think the tourney sounds a bit to big, and all inclusive, as you're taking such a wide variety of musicians, that you might have little basis of comparison(not to mention that it would be huge, and limiting the number of entries would only exclude qualified musicians from being able to enter). I also think(no offense here) that Jman wouldn't be the best suited member to run a tournament like this, as we've seen how big and unwieldy these can get.

...and that's what I have to say on the matter.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/21/2013 00:02
  • Post subject:
Personally, the whole tourney thing, in my opinion, should be first come first served if all the kinks are wired out (little musical humor there). That being said, my idea to organize this is to create a queue for the tournaments. Track which ones are currently active, put up the "pending" ones for nominations when the time comes, and if something needs to be in development, then track those ones too. It might be a bit difficult and possibly unnecessary depending on how many tourneys we decide to have, but just throwing the idea out there.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2013 00:05
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Personally, the whole tourney thing, in my opinion, should be first come first served if all the kinks are wired out (little musical humor there). That being said, my idea to organize this is to create a queue for the tournaments. Track which ones are currently active, put up the "pending" ones for nominations when the time comes, and if something needs to be in development, then track those ones too. It might be a bit difficult and possibly unnecessary depending on how many tourneys we decide to have, but just throwing the idea out there.

Yeah that sounds good, we could have a poll when one(Probably BNU) is about to end, where people can vote on which one they want(We should also probably already stick to the already proposed one's, as not to have "Tourney nomination overload"). That way, the second one ends, we will have already have decided upon which one's going to happen next.

So do we want to finish the current one's first? I don't know how long those will take.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2013 00:06
  • Post subject:
That being said, tourneys are objectively a brilliant idea, and I am being facetious.
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/21/2013 00:10
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Yeah that sounds good, we could have a poll when one(Probably BNU) is about to end, where people can vote on which one they want(We should also probably already stick to the already proposed one's, as not to have "Tourney nomination overload"). That way, the second one ends, we will have already have decided upon which one's going to happen next.

So do we want to finish the current one's first? I don't know how long those will take.

That's a pretty good idea. Voting for which one we want is a pretty good idea. Now, how exactly do you propose we design the queue? My basics would be a thread designed (with the OP or whoever wants to keep track of tourneys), just the basic:

Currently active

Tourney whatever
Tourney whatever number 2

Pending

Example
Example

In developement

Example

Anyways, that would be my idea for the design, anyone else want to chip in?

EDIT: We might also want to figure out approximations and etc. about the tourney, but this is just the basics. Depending on the route we want to go.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2013 00:15
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
That's a pretty good idea. Voting for which one we want is a pretty good idea. Now, how exactly do you propose we design the queue? My basics would be a thread designed (with the OP or whoever wants to keep track of tourneys), just the basic:

Currently active

Tourney whatever
Tourney whatever number 2

Pending

Example
Example

In developement

Example

Anyways, that would be my idea for the design, anyone else want to chip in?

That sounds good, although it still doesn't deal with the problem of whether we want to continue the 3 tourneys that stopped awhile back(Before my time, so I don't exactly know when). Personally, I don't think a lot of new users really have a stake in those tourneys, some captains might not be active anymore, and it might feel strange to just pick up a tourney that a lot of people don't even know about. On the other hand, if one of them is really far along, I have no problem with finishing it if it wouldn't take up too much time.

But back to your post, I would flag Jman's tourney as "in development", and Defago's, and this one(this thread's) as "pending"(IMO).
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/21/2013 00:20
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
That sounds good, although it still doesn't deal with the problem of whether we want to continue the 3 tourneys that stopped awhile back(Before my time, so I don't exactly know when). Personally, I don't think a lot of new users really have a stake in those tourneys, some captains might not be active anymore, and it might feel strange to just pick up a tourney that a lot of people don't even know about. On the other hand, if one of them is really far along, I have no problem with finishing it if it wouldn't take up too much time.

But back to your post, I would flag Jman's tourney as "in development", and Defago's, and this one(this thread's) as "pending"(IMO).

I enjoyed those tourneys, but they've been stalled for quite a while. Some basic ideas might be to either put an "On hold" section (The idea is to bring attention to those tourneys and if enough interest goes back into them we can either A. Restart them or B. Continue where it was last left off. It really depends on what the people interested want to do) or put them under "pending", if people want to handle it that way (whichever way).
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2013 00:26
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Some basic ideas might be to either put an "On hold" section (The idea is to bring attention to those tourneys and if enough interest goes back into them we can either A. Restart them or B. Continue where it was last left off. It really depends on what the people interested want to do) or put them under "pending", if people want to handle it that way (whichever way).

If we restarted them
Pro's
-Active participation for newer members
-More reflective of current taste's

Con's
-Would take more time

I personally would rather just start them from scratch, but at that point they would just be 3 new tourneys to add to the queue. I also personally like Defago's (and possibly Jman's if its all straightened out) tourneys more. Anyways, the forum at large should vote on this. Also we might need some sort of "Tournament Ringleader" to admin all of this(Probably Jhereko, if he wants, he seems to be the defacto tourney guy as is).
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/21/2013 00:35
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
If we restarted them
Pro's
-Active participation for newer members
-More reflective of current taste's

Con's
-Would take more time

I personally would rather just start them from scratch, but at that point they would just be 3 new tourneys to add to the queue. I also personally like Defago's (and possibly Jman's if its all straightened out) tourneys more. Anyways, the forum at large should vote on this. Also we might need some sort of "Tournament Ringleader" to admin all of this(Probably Jhereko, if he wants, he seems to be the defacto tourney guy as is).

Perhaps we might just want to create 3 separate threads and get people to vote continue vs. restart. The best year tourney is about to finish (if I remember correctly) so we might not want to restart that one, but if people want to reset, then sure. So, basically I'm just saying make a poll to see if the people of the forum want to restart/continue them.

Yep, it certainly need a ringleader and Jhereko is probably the most fit (or at least most experienced) for it.