A New Golden Age for the BEA forums?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 06/22/2013 04:07
  • Post subject: A New Golden Age for the BEA forums?
So what do people want from the BEA forums? What is there not enough of? Don't focus on what there's too much of because you can't control what other people do (and besides if there's enough of something good the nasty shit will naturally fade away).

I'll post some suggestions in a while but any ideas anyone?
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/22/2013 04:35
  • Post subject:
I like it when we have pseudo-philosophical discussions about music itself, or topics relating to music, instead of specific bands or songs. The objective/subjective debate thing would be an example, except that one's been done to death. I'd appreciate more talk about making music and original BEA music and musical theory/music ideas as well, but we rarely get those.

A problem I see is that whenever we get threads about well known music, people complain because they've been done to death (which is true), but when we get new music threads there's an avalanche of recommendations and most get buried and unchecked. That's the main reason I'm planning my tournament for later in the year - make sure people's recommendations get listened to, while making sure these aren't cliche, already known stuff.

I also enjoy what many users condemn as "trolling". It's usually just friendly banter, and there's no need to get pissed or angry, just laugh and shrug it off if you don't want to play. Definitely makes things more interesting.

I'm not really bothered much by anything going on in the forums, I don't feel compelled to check every thread so if there's yet another thread about Radiohead I plain won't read it. It does get tiring to see threads for every little topic as if this were a chat room.

Anyways, I love you all. I don't think BEA's forums are in the gutters or anything, if anything we're better now than we were a couple of months ago. Old users go, new users come. I appreciate most users, and I appreciate the community as a whole. I appreciate all the new music I've found thanks to BEA the most. I do think people need to take things more lightly, though - this is the internet, after all. Maybe in contradiction, some people need to think more before they post as well.
  • Visit poster's website
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2013 10:13
  • Post subject: Re: A New Golden Age for the BEA forums?
Jhereko wrote:
So what do people want from the BEA forums? What is there not enough of? Don't focus on what there's too much of because you can't control what other people do (and besides if there's enough of something good the nasty shit will naturally fade away).

I'll post some suggestions in a while but any ideas anyone?

There's probably some tautology to what i'm about to say but... I'd like to hear more personal and descriptive ways of stating why users do or don't like something. A little bit of that type of effort would make the occasional "i like this/ hate that", "this is bad/ that is good" a bit more bearable.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/22/2013 14:34
  • Post subject:
Triple Post Confused

Last edited by GeevyDallas on 06/22/2013 14:35; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/22/2013 14:35
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
Anyways, I love you all. I don't think BEA's forums are in the gutters or anything, if anything we're better now than we were a couple of months ago. Old users go, new users come. I appreciate most users, and I appreciate the community as a whole. I appreciate all the new music I've found thanks to BEA the most. I do think people need to take things more lightly, though - this is the internet, after all. Maybe in contradiction, some people need to think more before they post as well.

This.

The only slight change i'd like to make is, more discussion on new releases. Yes Yeezus,Random Access Memories,etc. got a lot, but realistically not every album is on the same scale. Maybe something like a 2013 album of the week where we all listen and contribute our thoughts on a new album would freshen things up. That's all I want to see, I might try and organize it for the coming week. Is that something y'all would be interested in?
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/22/2013 14:55
  • Post subject:
Yep, def interested.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/22/2013 14:57
  • Post subject:
Sounds amazing
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 06/22/2013 15:15
  • Post subject:
I don't listen to 2013 music that much, but I'd love to see you guys talk about recent releases. Why couldn't we even have a 2013 album of the day, in the same style as the ATOD and WAOTD?
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 06/22/2013 15:47
  • Post subject:
That's an awesome idea. And realistically, as drakonium points out, there is enough for one a day. So if you need help don't hesitate to holler.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 06/22/2013 15:56
  • Post subject:
If we take the decision to have a 2013 AOTD set out, maybe albummaster could make it, to put it on the homepage like other things of the day. I don't know how much time it takes to do something like that, but it would be fantastic. Not that DLGGLD isn't made for the job, but I think it could be interesting enough to make it "official".
  • Visit poster's website