2013 album listening club

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:16
  • Post subject: 2013 album listening club
Okay so this is what i'm thinking. 2013 albums ain't been discussed enough, at least outside of the big ones. So here's what I'm suggesting, we have a 2013 album of the week. This album is chosen by a randomly selected user who will present said album in AOTD style and we all comment, discuss it each week. The whole idea of this is to get everyone involved and for us to get a chance to appreciate some people's personal favourites from the year. I'm not saying you have to pick an album by a Malaysian techno producer that only released his album through cassette, but just don't pick an album most people will listen to regardless(Yeezus, Random Access Memories, etc.). Actually there is a fine line between picking an obscure album and an album that is impossible to get hold of, so everyone selecting an album make sure there are legal streams or links so everyone can get a hold of them.

There are 28 Mondays left in the year and if we carry on and use purple's suggestion of having this for 2014 also, but using January 2014 for 2013 releases (to allow a meaningful amount of 2014 albums to be released before we start discussing 2014 albums) we'll have another 5 weeks worth of 2013 discussion, which should accommodate everyone. I was planning on having someone selected for each week already, but with people coming and going from the forum that wouldn't make sense, so I'm proposing that everyone interested in selecting an album but there names down ITT and each week i'll use a randomizer to select who gets to choose for the following week. Once you're selected you go to the back of the line and will not be eligible to select another album until everyone who hasn't chosen yet gets a chance. New users will be placed into the current rotation, it's all about including everyone and actually getting to pick the album isn't the important part.

If anyone has anyways to improve this idea please fire ahead, as I said it's not about an individual, but the community as a whole to get together and discuss something new.

Names of users who want to participate:
1. DLGGLD
2. an_outlaw
3. lethalnezzle
4. tekin
5. Happymeal
6. Cymro2011
7. joyofdivision
8. ryanbrun1
9. dividesbyzero
10. Norman Bates
11. yourself
12. Jasonconfused
13. Magikarp
14. junodog4
15. Necharsian
16. RockyRaccoon
17. indieshins
18. ShaneSpear
19. swedenman
20. CellarDoor
21. CDQ
22. Ardokal
23. harkan
24. joshtraina
25. revolver94
26. Jhereko
27. Facetious
28. Defago
29. meccalecca
30. Altsoul
31. imnotanotter

19loveless91 (From September)

Users who already got their turn:
1. Hayden: Sean Nicholas Savage - Other Life
2. MrFrogger: Akron/Family - Sub Verses
3. tbakeman: Future Bible Heroes - Partygoing
4. JMan: Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

Last edited by GeevyDallas on 07/16/2013 10:39; edited 28 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:18
  • Post subject:
I'll join.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:20
  • Post subject:
I'll certainly join Smile This is what the site is about.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:26
  • Post subject:
Me.
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:26
  • Post subject:
I'd be glad to join.

That being said, perhaps you might want to change the amount of people chosen per week depending on the amount of people who join. Ex. If 100 people sign up (unlikely, but just an example), it'd be difficult to get everyone's 2013 choices through within the time frame we have (which means more days per week). Anyways, sounds like a great idea and hopefully this'll prove fruitful!
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:30
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I'd be glad to join.

That being said, perhaps you might want to change the amount of people chosen per week depending on the amount of people who join. Ex. If 100 people sign up (unlikely, but just an example), it'd be difficult to get everyone's 2013 choices through within the time frame we have (which means more days per week). Anyways, sounds like a great idea and hopefully this'll prove fruitful!

I have no problem with that, but having an album a day would be counter productive imo. The whole point is to discuss the album, debate it's quality, etc. For conversations to prove meaningful we'll need time to both listen and gather our thoughts on the album in question, which would prove too much to have to do everyday, I think. As I said though, if the majority want it that often, I'm down.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:34
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
I have no problem with that, but having an album a day would be counter productive imo. The whole point is to discuss the album, debate it's quality, etc. For conversations to prove meaningful we'll need time to both listen and gather our thoughts on the album in question, which would prove too much to have to do everyday, I think. As I said though, if the majority want it that often, I'm down.

I agree fully with your sentiment. More days are better. I wouldn't recommend an album a day, because that wouldn't exactly help as far as the purpose of discussion, but I would recommend to accommodate for an overflow of people joining. My concerns are fairly minimal because I can't see more then 50 or so people joining as of now, but you never know.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:36
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I agree fully with your sentiment. More days are better. I wouldn't recommend an album a day, because that wouldn't exactly help as far as the purpose of discussion, but I would recommend to accommodate for an overflow of people joining. My concerns are fairly minimal because I can't see more then 50 or so people joining as of now, but you never know.

It probably will reach unprecedented levels of participation, we finna take over the world.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:36
  • Post subject:
Can't do it, as I couldn't possibly oblige if I were drawn this summer. I won't even have the Internet for a while. I'll probably register in September though if it's OK.
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/22/2013 20:37
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Can't do it, as I couldn't possibly oblige if I were drawn this summer. I won't even have the Internet for a while. I'll probably register in September though if it's OK.

We can include you up until you leave and when you come back too. As I said, the whole point is to give everyone the chance to get involved, and we all want you in.
  • Visit poster's website