The BEA 1001 albums to listen to before you die!

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 06/28/2013 03:50
  • Post subject: The BEA 1001 albums to listen to before you die!
I got the idea for this from another thread and the idea of prioritising the albums we listen to before we die

I thought it would be great for us BEA users to come up with our own personal list of albums that we think the deserve to be listened to before you die.

How I thought this could work, is that forum users post a maximum of 10 album that means the most to them, adding a little description of why there is such a strong personal connection and why it should be added to the list. I definitely want this to be about our personal favourite albums - albums that mean something to the individual user in a deep and personal sense.

Nominations

Users can nominate a maximum of 12 albums each that they want to write about.
Multiple nominations for a single album is ok, meaning that if an album has already been nominated you can still go ahead and nominate the same album. For editorial reasons, we will have to limit the number of nominations to 4 per album. So please check the links below to see what has been nominated before adding your own nominations.
Its favourite albums so if you want to add a compilation, classical, jazz or even Scandinavian death metal twee classic - then go for your life!
The first round of nominations close 31st July.

Descriptions
In terms of your descriptions, can you please stick to the following rules:

Minimum 450 words... maximum 500 words if you are the only one writing about the album!
Minimum 150 words... maximum 200 words if you are one of a few writing about the album!

Please include in your descriptions

Album Name
Artist
Label
Producer
Year

up to 3 Favourite Songs from the Album
up to 2 'if you like this album, you might like x' further recommendation... This is additional to the description word count.

Descriptions are to be created in google docs (it's really easy!). You then need to share that doc and send the link through to purple (ppnw). All descriptions have to be submitted no later than 30th September or they won't be included!

If you are having trouble with google docs then PM me and I'll help sort it out for you!

Editorial/Layout Team
For this to work, we will need volunteers to help design, layout and edit the book. So far the following people have put their name forward to help:

purple (Assistant Edior in Chief)
Lethalnezzle
NoWaxJim
MrFrogger
EyeKanFly
Norman Bates
AlexZangari (Designer in Chief!)
Defago
Junodog
Nutso42

This is a huge undertaking, so we definitely need more volunteers. So if you have a bit of spare time and would like to get involved, please PM me or make a note in the thread. We are particularly keen to hear from anyone with some design or artistic flair to help with the graphic layout!

I'll keep updating this as the ideas develop.

Ten albums....so choose carefully! Laughing

--------

To see a list of all the albums we have so far, please check out the links below. The spreadsheet was last updated 9:45am 15th August Kiwi Time (up to post 505) so if you aren't there it's cause I haven't got round to updating again yet.

Sorted by Title
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B54u5fz...sp=sharing

Sorted by Artist

Sorted by user

Please don't edit the spreadsheets - I am keeping a master copy so any changes you make on google docs will be deleted at the next update. If anything is incorrect please make a post in the thread and I will bring in the changes with the next update!

Ta Muchly!

Last edited by Guest on 10/01/2013 19:33; edited 53 times in total
Silver

• Posted: 06/28/2013 03:57
  • Post subject:
Liked the idea when you brought it up in that last thread. I'd say for me it would have to be Hospice. I just find the album evokes an emotional response in me that no other does. Obviously I love the lyrics and the way Silberman tells the story and what not, considering that's what made the album big in the first place, but I feel like it's a bit overstated as well. Aside from just that, I find it to be a really sonically interesting album. I love how it combines traditional indie rock structures and sounds with dream pop and even some post-rock influences. The music on the album is really beautiful to me, and I feel like it's not focused on enough. It really is a full package of an album. But yeah, aside from that I just have a really strong emotional connection to Hospice. It's great.

• Posted: 06/28/2013 03:57
  • Post subject:
Out of curiosity, are we striving for a list of great recommendations or just a list of albums we love? In other words, should we make it a point to find somewhat lesser known albums we love or just go for the megahits if they happen to be the ones that mean the most to us?

Assuming the latter, I'll go with Closer by Joy Division. No other album has had that kind of emotional impact on me. It's just so thickly permeated with dark imagery and lyrics, and I genuinely feel like I'm inside his head when I really get into it. Absolutely stunning in every meaning of the word.

EDIT: If you would like a lengthier segment on it, I could certainly oblige Smile

Last edited by Guest on 06/28/2013 04:05; edited 2 times in total
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/28/2013 04:01
  • Post subject:
Moon and Antarctica, I've quoted what I said about it was album of the day right here:

Happymeal wrote:
It's interesting to see your favorite album a AOTD. You don't exactly know how to react (or you do so meh). People seem to be interested to see what you have to say. I agree, if it's your favorite album, i'd love to hear your full thoughts on it. At the time, I mainly joked in the comments because I didn't think I had much to say. Right now I'm in class and I feel I have far more to say than I can later on, so I'll give this a shot (alright, now in class anymore. I started this maybe a few days ago to a week ago. Didn't have the time to finish, anyways, onto my thoughts that I had).

Moon and Antarctica has a lot of meaning to me. So does the lonesome crowded west. Both top notch albums. When I first listened to Modest Mouse, I had barely learned about them. I only knew a song or two from video games that their music was in. I listened to a few of their singles, and I loved them. They're one of the first bands I fell in love with (at this time, Tom Petty also fell into that groups as well as Wolf Parade and Built to spill). Their seemingly "different" take on life, universe, and topics that they have explored have always interested me into their lyrics. Isaac Brock phrases certain ideas in a way that blows my mind. With the assistance of clever references and word play, Modest Mouse has arguably some of the best lyrics I've ever had the honor of going through. At one point, I went through every song on Lonesome Crowded and attempted my best to draw meaning from them. I was just very interested in this band, and it certainly showed by the way I got into them.

As far as their music goes, I easily thought they were leagues beyond anything I have ever heard, and I still think that. On Lonesome crowded west, they manage to turn angst and traits in that vein into an extreme beauty of an album. I love the LCW, and it is one of my favorite albums of all time, but The Moon and Antarctica travels far beyond what the LCW did. First off, the thing I like most about the M&A is that i feel it's pretty comfortable. If anything, it feels like a really nice friend of your's. One of the few albums that can make me cry when I play it. It's atmospheric. is it a winter album? Probably, it's when I play it the most and certainly just something I'd like to listen to laying down on the cold ground. Perhaps that's because I feel it to have a lot of warmth coming through it, which is something I feel Modest Mouse usually excels at.

Anyways, time for what makes Modest Mouse one of the best factors in my life. About a year or so ago (maybe even two years, don't quote me on time, I'm not too good with it), I had been laying in bed and thinking about stuff and what not when I remembered about something I hadn't revisited in a while. Now, before I reveal what it was, I'll be completely honest. When I was younger, I never had friends nor had I been very popular (more recently people have started to love me. Now - a - days it seems so many people love how erratic I can be) among people. The thing is, I've never been that good at control of myself. I was quite erratic (It's called ADHD, but lots of people have it so it kind of loses its meaning) and people tended to dislike that. I would be ridiculed for a lot of stuff. Now - a - days, I don't mind ridicule. I actually cherish it and find it pretty humorous to play along with. Actually, I'm not ridiculed that often now - a - days. Me being erratic (though not quite as much as I once was) is what a lot of people enjoy me for (in the sense I do odd off the wall things). Anyways, I could say there was one thing that "made up for it" (though, for some reason, I feel that this wasn't exactly making up for it, rather that I was just a kid fascinated with what i am about to reveal) I had a collection of stuffed animals that I kept until that faithful day i was lying in bed. I went to take a revisit to them as I usually do. if not because I just liked them, then because the warmth they represented throughout my life. Unfortunately, earlier that summer, my mom decided to give stuff to goodwill, asking if I needed anything. Apparently my stuffed animals were in one of the bags. I actually asked her if there was anything significant inside of the bags. She replied with a no, claiming only clothing and the sorts were inside of them.

When I went to the closet where I typically had them (inside a plastic black bag of course. My closet isn't too large), I noticed they were not there. Asked my mom about it and, well, a ton of anger resulted from it. I yelled and cried and what not. We ended up going to see if we could reclaim any of them, we didn't (unfortunately). At that point, I felt like a lost a huge part of myself (I don't want this to become sappy, but it might). I was really sad, I guess to some extent confused. I did consider suicide to some extent (though I'd never have the guts to do something like that) because I had lost one of the most important factors in my life. lot's of fond memories with my stuffed animals and what not. Anyways, I hadn't cried as much as that night as I had ever had before, or since then even. It was a very sad moment in time for me. I was heartbroken to some extent and what not. So, I decided to play some music for myself and Modest Mouse is what i thought would be best. I spent the night crying while listening to Modest Mouse. They helped me out through this fairly tough moment and what not so I guess I'm far more emotionally attached to them than any other band. they've helped me through other moments too, but this one was far more memorable (btw, apologies if there are any inconsistencies, I really don't care much for editing when making a post this large so there might be a few if you decide to read this)

The thing is, what I love most about this album is just how comfortable it feels. It can easily calm me down in times when I need it to. It can easily put me to sleep if I wanted it. It can easily do many things, and I think it's just a very comfortable album. It kind of feels like a warm embrace from a friend. Something along the lines of that. i guess I've never been quite as attached to an album as the M&A and I love it. I couldn't really picture my music tastes or a good portion of my life and etc. without Modest Mouse and their amazing music. Perhaps it would do this album no justice if I only talked about that one moment in time because there's been many others, but whatever. As an album overall, it's just perfect.

I think perhaps I haven't hyped up just how wonderful the lyrics are. They're not sophisticated at all in the sense of using larger vocabulary goes. I mean, they're just not, but they're wonderful. The way Isaac Brock puts together words on here is just like no other album I've ever listened to. not only that, but with the wonderful lyrics comes the music which certainly puts on display how well the band can take the emotion from the lyrics and translate it into music. Just wonderful. Very few bands have gotten so much into their lyrics that I can remember almost all of them from a single album off the top of my head (alright, it's actually been a little while since I've listened to this album the whole way through again, most of the time, I put it on when i go to bed because it's relaxing. I'm usually asleep by the time Gravity Rides Everything ends). Going back to the whole thing about lyrics. There's certainly a bunch of choice lyrics. Even the opening line is among the best

Everything that keeps me together is falling apart
I've got this thing I consider my only art, of fucking people over

Just a few other choice lyrics:

in the motions, and the things that you say. It all will fall, fall right into place.
As fruit drops, as flesh it sags. Everything will fall right into place.

Well it took a lot of work to become the ass I am
And I'm real damn sure that anyone can
Easily equally fuck you over

Everyone wants a double feature
They wanna be their own damn teacher, and how
All the stars are projectors, yeah
Projectin' our lives down to this planet Earth

Alright. I'll stop there. I might just end up quoting the whole fucking album. Anyways, what was I talking about? I don't remember. Anyways, great album. Not many measure up to how amazing it is. I mean, I doubt I was even able to show everything I've ever wanted to say about this album within this post, and I would sure love to be able to (I'm not that great with words), but I think this is enough. Perhaps later when it's album of the day again, I'll be able to expand on my thoughts.

Though I'd like to add a little bit more (hope I'm not being redundant though, I can't exactly remember everything I said). So anyways, one last thing I'd like to comment on is the fact that Isaac Brock has a very "average" singing voice as far as technical skill goes, but it's just perfect for the album. I feel not many singers could really add to the already desolate and heart warming album the M&A is, but Isaac Brock pulled it off somehow. I'd just like to say that this album makes me very comfortable for whatever reason and I've said that before, but I think that's one of the main reasons I actually love listening to it. If I had to sum it up, it's like a good friend telling you everything is gonna be ok (despite the very depressive lyrics at times)

Last edited by Happymeal on 06/28/2013 04:02; edited 1 time in total
AlexZangari

United States

• Post subject:
Good pick. The first time I heard Hospice I stayed up till 6 AM and listened to it probably 8 times in a row.

• Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Out of curiosity, are we striving for a list of great recommendations or just a list of albums we love? In other words, should we make it a point to find somewhat lesser known albums we love or just go for the megahits if they happen to be the ones that mean the most to us?

I think you should go for the album that means the most to you - regardless of whether it is well known or obscure. I am hoping that we get a good mix that shows the different interests and tastes on the site. So go with your heart!

Very Happy

• Posted: 06/28/2013 04:03
  • Post subject:
Magenta wrote:
I think you should go for the album that means the most to you - regardless of whether it is well known or obscure. I am hoping that we get a good mix that shows the different interests and tastes on the site. So go with your heart!

Very Happy

Okay, cool Very Happy
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 06/28/2013 04:04
  • Post subject:
Fuck I don't know what album to choose. Also I am terrible at writing and won't be able to do my chosen album justice. Laughing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I would like to reserve Unknown Pleasures for CellarDoor though.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2013 04:05
  • Post subject:
I guess I will choose The Glow Pt2, since it currently means the most to me. I'll try to keep this short.

The Glow pt2-An album about nature, and the nature of breakup, it reflects all the self doubt I've held in my life, while continuously becoming more a part of me. It's both a loud fucked up noisefest, and a beautiful reflection upon my life, that makes me sad, and I'm happy about that.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 06/28/2013 04:15
  • Post subject:
I'm gonna go ahead and rewrite history since I just woke up and order the ten albums I'd like to write about:

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Sly and the Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs
Oval - 94Diskont
Suicide - Suicide (1977)
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
Slint -Spiderland
Tortoise - TNT
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...

Also, welcome back.

N.B. edited again