Album of the day (#961): Nevermind by Nirvana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Evandar

• Posted: 07/05/2013 21:04
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I think it's position in influential music history is better than the actual music here.

Definitely. I don't hate the album, but I think it's quite mediocre. I've always liked the first song, it's an adrenaline rush, but the problem with this album is how samey it all sounds when you listen to all of it. Part of that is the production, I suspect, though I probably wouldn't be a fan regardless.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2013 21:13
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Not sure what's the appeal of a lot of it here. In Bloom and Lithium are great, the rest either annoy me or I just don't care much for it. I'm just left wondering why do people think this album is so much better than a lot of 90's mainstream.

Timing. drumming. lyrics.

I think a huge part of the success of Nirvana and Nevermind in particular is due to timing. Cobain gave a voice to jaded youth of suburban america. I think the extreme success of the album has led to a lot of people discounting its greatness because its "overhyped." I'm no different. I was far more into Mr Bungle and Primus when this album came out, but every single time I listen to this album I'm blown away by how much better it is than I give it credit for.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/05/2013 22:37
  • Post subject:
Amazing. Currently #34 on my chart (could probably stand to go higher, too). This album has a lot of sentimental value for me, as well. I got it the summer after I graduated from high school, and it was sort of the first album that made me realize that A Night at the Opera and Superunknown weren't the only great albums out there. For that reason, this album is responsible for getting me into a lot of other music, and I'll always love it for that.

As for the music, I don't have much to say about it that hasn't been said before. Best tracks are "Smells like Teen Spirit", "Lithium", "Drain You", "Lounge Act", and my personal favorite "On a Plain". It's truly phenomenal the way they managed to do so much with so little. Almost every song is based on little more than a 3- or 4-chord progression, but you wouldn't notice if you were just casually listening. Combine that with some of the most infectious melodies to come out of the '90s and some of the cleverest lyrics (I love all the wordplay) and you get what is undeniably a masterpiece. I slightly prefer it to Unplugged and In Utero, though all 3 are in my top 100. Just an all-around brilliant discography.
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown

• Posted: 07/06/2013 02:07
  • Post subject:
It's good and even in my overall chart, but I consider it as most overrated album

• Posted: 07/06/2013 02:11
  • Post subject:
I always think, "eurgh, Nevermind", but then I listen to it and I remember why I love Nirvana. This album is deserving of the status it has. Every song here is awesome. I wish it were a bit muddier though, if that makes sense. I think these songs with the production of Bleach would make for an album that would be on my overall chart. Probably wouldn't be as big though. Either way, this is a fantastic album.
joshtraina

• Posted: 07/06/2013 06:54
  • Post subject:
I wish every song was like Territorial Pissings
joedec

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2013 08:52
  • Post subject:
Overrated, but still a classic. One of my top 50 favorite albums.
  • Visit poster's website
brun027

Brazil

• Posted: 07/06/2013 13:26
  • Post subject:
Even though I was never a huge fan of this album, I've heard it quite a lot back then. Today it just annoys me. I can't hear a song from it without wanting to puke. (hyperbole)
  • Visit poster's website
Happy

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2013 14:13
  • Post subject:
Never thought this was overrated. Outside of Endless, Nameless, which is a hidden track, this is perfect. I like In Utero better, though.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 07/06/2013 15:05
  • Post subject:
Nirvana has a genrerally good discography. Though I believe this is probably the worst lyrically, no other album screams out "GRUNGE" like Nevermind.

Smells Like Teen Spirit: The best grunge song ever. A message that hits the inside of a teenager like a bullet in your gut; a simple yet unforgettable solo, and the best vocals Nirvana's done.
In Bloom: Though the lyrics are very simple and repetitive, the rhythm and the decent solo save the song and make it a hit.
Come As You Are: One of the more unique songs by Nirvana. Also one of there darkest, IMO. Some good vocals, another simple solo, and great Grohl drumming.
Breed: Though the production was top-notch and the drum intro was great, the verses are the exact same over redundant thing. There are some good lines in the choruc, though. I also think I'm to liberal with the word "though."
Lithium: This is my second favorite Nirvana song. Fantastic rhythm, great production value, and probably their best lyrics.
Polly: Interesting song taking a rape situation and turning it into a soft but grungy and very enjoyable tune.
Territorial Pissings: I dislike this song for all of the reasons people like it. Overly generic lyrics, pointless screaming, and one of the worst intros I've ever heard.
Drain You: Decent song with a weird solo. All I have to say.
Lounge Act: Nothing special, but not bad.
Stay Away: Tolerable.
On a Plain: The song that makes up for the rest of the second half.
Something in the Way: It's interesting message keeps you into it, but it's only decent.