Album of the day (#961): Nevermind by Nirvana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cattlest

• Posted: 07/07/2013 16:19
  • Post subject:
well no one said what they thought 'In Bloom' was about, so here's how I see it. The verses are about child prostitution. "sell the kids for food" being the biggest hint. the rest of the lyrics are about how the seasons affect nature sexually. "tender age in bloom" being a double entandre. I know if this is the case the song's content is pretty shocking, but that would only make the chorus all the more relevant. So how close do you think I am?
JMan

• Posted: 07/07/2013 16:21
  • Post subject:
cattlest wrote:
well no one said what they thought 'In Bloom' was about, so here's how I see it. The verses are about child prostitution. "sell the kids for food" being the biggest hint. the rest of the lyrics are about how the seasons affect nature sexually. "tender age in bloom" being a double entandre. I know if this is the case the song's content is pretty shocking, but that would only make the chorus all the more relevant. So how close do you think I am?

This link should answer your question.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2345
cattlest

• Posted: 07/07/2013 16:28
  • Post subject:
reading the comments after the so called 'songfacts' someone has came to the same conclusion. I got to say it's a bit of a relief.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2013 16:49
  • Post subject:
Kurt Cobain never put much credence into his lyrics, I don't think they're supposed to mean anything.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 07/07/2013 17:10
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Kurt Cobain never put much credence into his lyrics, I don't think they're supposed to mean anything.

People can find meaning in lyrics if they want to.

Though, I do agree completely with your statement. I remember reading an interview back when I was a Nirvana fan that said Kurt always made the music, then wrote the lyrics.

BUT, you can find meaning in anything, even Nirvana lyrics, which aren't good.
cattlest

• Posted: 07/07/2013 17:15
  • Post subject:
true, the music was kurt's first priority, but i strongly disagree with anyone who says the lyrics weren't good. the lyrics are amazing from this point of view.

• Posted: 07/07/2013 21:40
  • Post subject:
Cobain's lyrics were inarguably what one might describe as "word salad". You can read whatever you want out of them, but that wasn't the point.
cattlest

• Posted: 07/07/2013 22:06
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Cobain's lyrics were inarguably what one might describe as "word salad". You can read whatever you want out of them, but that wasn't the point.

inarguably you say? let me prove you wrong lol. Anyways, I do think the lyrics were used as to serve the mood. There's plenty of Nirvana songs that I don't know what they are actually about, but there are some that are about something. The ones on Nevermind I (think I) understand are In Bloom, Lithium, Polly, Lounge Act, and Something in the Way. Even if the lyrics aren't about something tangible doesn't make them bad lyrics. I'm noticing wrong lyrics on the internet as well, so I wouldn't judge by lyrics you find on google. For instance 'Lounge Act' starts out "To cover insecurity, I can let you smother me" which is a lot more clever than "Truth: covered in security, I can't let you smother me".

• Posted: 07/07/2013 22:20
  • Post subject:
cattlest wrote:
inarguably you say? let me prove you wrong lol. Anyways, I do think the lyrics were used as to serve the mood. There's plenty of Nirvana songs that I don't know what they are actually about, but there are some that are about something. The ones on Nevermind I (think I) understand are In Bloom, Lithium, Polly, Lounge Act, and Something in the Way. Even if the lyrics aren't about something tangible doesn't make them bad lyrics. I'm noticing wrong lyrics on the internet as well, so I wouldn't judge by lyrics you find on google. For instance 'Lounge Act' starts out "To cover insecurity, I can let you smother me" which is a lot more clever than "Truth: covered in security, I can't let you smother me".

Of course it doesn't mean they're bad. I love the lyrics on this album. And even if some of the songs do have an overarching message or whatever, I'd still argue that the vast majority of the lyrics on those songs are borderline nonsensical, regardless (in the best possible way, obviously Wink ).

Of course, this is a silly thing to be debating in the first place, considering that it's all up to interpretation Laughing
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 07/08/2013 00:51
  • Post subject:
I used to hate this album, but i've come to enjoy it. It's not really original, but it's a great compilation of the many strands of punk and college rock from the 80's. I would use this album as an intro for someone who is interested in learning more about the alt rock of the 80's.

Besides all that, it's also just an enjoyable album to listen to. It's both pop and punk at the same time, but doesn't veer to far in either direction where it could alienate someone who prefers one over the other. It more than deserves the success it had. Overate? Yes. Influential? Not really. But neither of those things really matter when you find an album that is just so enjoyable to listen to and this album is.