Uniqueness of your chart

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/10/2010 13:58
  • Post subject: Uniqueness of your chart
Thought about this the other day. Each album has a count of how many appearances in charts within the site. So could this define how unique your music taste is?

As a rough start, my top ten average to 58.1 chart appearances. Now, looking at the overall chart the top ten average is over 300. So my top ten isn't so strange that no-one knows what music I am listening to but still unique somewhat.

Might do my whole 50 but I need sleep. Night all!
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2010 14:11
  • Post subject:
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to list the greatest albums of all time or some other kind of list: Unknown, Esoteric, Sampler, Under-ranked, Under-rated, New, Forgotten, Under-recognized, Garbage, or Lost-and-Found?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RaineyWins

Ireland

• Posted: 01/10/2010 14:27
  • Post subject:
As you can see by my top 10, I have 5 albums which make under 10 appearances, I have them included due to them being one of my favourite albums ever, so does it matter if they make lots of appearnces?
No, your list should be of your favourite albums ever, keep the likes of Jarvis Crocker and Seal in your list if they are one of your favourite albums ever. I like your list due to it being different, and it gives me more to listen to.
  • Visit poster's website
dp39

• Posted: 01/10/2010 18:41
  • Post subject:
Well your list should be creative and consist of your favorite albums. If you just put the most successful commercial albums on here, then you're a conformist.
If you actually think the most commercial successful albums are your favorite that's different. But some people do it just to be cool.

I don't put albums on my list to be cool. How many people really love Van Halen or the Pretenders on here. I personally do, they rock ('n roll). And I don't have a lot of albums most people do like OK Computer and VU and Nico, just b/c they don't appeal to me and the first few months I was on here they were in my list because I felt like they should be because they're influencial and commercially successful, but then I realized I really just don't like them, so fuck them.

Fight the Power!
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2010 18:45
  • Post subject:
dp39 wrote:

How many people really love Van Halen or the Pretenders on here. I personally do, they rock ('n roll).

I like The Pretenders, and early Van Halen is tolerable. Neither one makes my top 50 though.
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 01/10/2010 19:34
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
dp39 wrote:

How many people really love Van Halen or the Pretenders on here. I personally do, they rock ('n roll).
I like The Pretenders, and early Van Halen is tolerable. Neither one makes my top 50 though.

I like the Pretenders a lot. They would be in my Top 500, maybe as high as 300. I'm not making that list. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2010 20:10
  • Post subject:
My chart doesn't show the top 50 albums ranked by sales nor does it rank my top 50 favorites. My chart ranks the top 50 greatest albums as I think society sees them. Only albums that I own are included in the chart but I have carefully selected my collection after researching reviews, sales, and awards. All albums were also sampled prior to purchase and have been listened to frequently since.

I have purposefully excluded albums from my chart by my favorite group, The Kinks, because unfortunately society doesn’t currently hold their albums among the top 50 greatest music albums. For the same reason, also missing are many fine blues, classical, country, folk, gospel, holiday, jazz, Latin, musical, new age, pop, soundtrack, world, etc. Admittedly my chart, as all others, still shows a bias towards what is owned and favored.

I look at the title of this site, Best Ever Albums-The Greatest Music Albums of All Time, and the default title given to member charts, Top 50 Greatest Music Albums by ..., and I don't see the words unique or favorite there. My personal feeling is that a truly "unique" chart might contain some hidden gems but surely couldn't be listing the greatest albums.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2010 20:52
  • Post subject:
I don't think anyone's aim is to list the "greatest" albums, I think everyone here is just using this as a place to show what they like and talk about music with other like minded or not-so-like-minded people. In other words, I think the "by" in the member chart could just as easily be replaced with "according to".
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 01/10/2010 20:54
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
My chart doesn't show the top 50 albums ranked by sales nor does it rank my top 50 favorites. My chart ranks the top 50 greatest albums as I think society sees them. Only albums that I own are included in the chart but I have carefully selected my collection after researching reviews, sales, and awards. All albums were also sampled prior to purchase and have been listened to frequently since.

I have purposefully excluded albums from my chart by my favorite group, The Kinks, because unfortunately society doesn’t currently hold their albums among the top 50 greatest music albums. For the same reason, also missing are many fine blues, classical, country, folk, gospel, holiday, jazz, Latin, musical, new age, pop, soundtrack, world, etc. Admittedly my chart, as all others, still shows a bias towards what is owned and favored.

I look at the title of this site, Best Ever Albums-The Greatest Music Albums of All Time, and the default title given to member charts, Top 50 Greatest Music Albums by ..., and I don't see the words unique or favorite there. My personal feeling is that a truly "unique" chart might contain some hidden gems but surely couldn't be listing the greatest albums.

You do make a very fine point there.

After reading what you said your chart makes a lot more sense. Your top 10 is definitely how society as a whole would see it. Perhaps from that perspective I think Sgt Peppers would be one higher than the white album, but other than that it's flawless. And a lot of the other albums which are higher on your chart than the overall chart make sense too (Marvin Gaye, exile on main street and sex pistols).

Overall, I think you have done a much better job than most publications at a "Greatest" album chart and I think I should remove my low chart rating to pay respect to that.
joyofdivision

• Posted: 01/10/2010 20:59
  • Post subject:
The charts are for people to share their favourite albums, not as RFNaples puts it, to assume what you think the rest of the world thinks! Without recommendations, where would The Velvet Undergound & Nico, In The Aeroplane Under The Sea, Grace, or Forever Changes be? They all barely registered on the charts when released but are now widely regarded as classics because of word of mouth alone.. If you aren't willing to put your favourite band of all time in your own Top 50 chart, then quite frankly, you have misunderstood the entire concept of sharing your favourite albums with everyone else! The overall chart is the one to judge the most critically popular, not you Mr Naples!

Last edited by joyofdivision on 01/10/2010 21:02; edited 1 time in total