Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#968): The Dark Side Of The Moon
Today's album of the day

The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1973.
Overall rank: 2
Average rating: 91/100 (from 1674 votes).

Tracks:
1. Speak To Me
2. Breathe
3. On The Run
4. Time
5. The Great Gig In The Sky
6. Money
7. Us And Them
8. Any Colour You Like
9. Brain Damage
10. Eclipse

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:01
  • Post subject:
Number 7 on my chart! It took five listens for me to understand it. Even then, I'm not good with putting it into words. All I can say is that it's the perfect blend of prog rock, echoes, sound effects, psychedelia, and lunacy.

Last edited by JMan on 07/12/2013 20:04; edited 1 time in total
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:03
  • Post subject:
Between this and Meddle, mid-period Floyd had something special. Their psychedelia for a short time evolved into dynamic atmospheric space rock. I love it.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:05
  • Post subject:
The lunatic is on the grass! Shocked
Happymeal

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:06
  • Post subject:
Used to be my number 3 actually. It's a damn good album. I wouldn't say it's anywhere as good as people make it out to be though. The thing I think I most enjoy about this album is the track "On the run". It's just amazingly dark(ish) with this very relaxed feel to it. If the whole album was more like that particular track, then I'd think it would be a whole lot better. Of course, as it stands now, it's pretty damn good. It's still got those dark overtones and all as well as being relaxing throughout, but I think "On the Run" is perfected in that aspect.

That being said, I also put "Brain Damage' up there. It's amazing. Probably two of my favorite songs.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:12
  • Post subject:
Best track: Money.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:12
  • Post subject:
Good, but nowhere near as perfect and thought-through as The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Or the other way around. Confused
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:13
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
Good, but nowhere near as perfect and thought-through as The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Or the other way around. Confused

I'm curious to understand about Pipers perfection since the last time I listened to it I just thought it was an above average psychedelia record. I'm open to other perspectives for optimal understanding.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:21
  • Post subject:
It's an alright album, one I've heard more times than I've ever wanted to, but not one I find particularly offensive to the ears. The bassline on 'Money', though it's cliche to say it, is brilliant, and always makes me want to move, and I love the way the cash registers chime in the intro. 'Breathe' is irritatingly catchy. However, I do find this a difficult album to love. I know people always talk about it being this great comment on people and our short amount of time here and our eventual death, but it all sounds a little overwrought to me. I just don't hear a huge amount of sincerity in this music; it lacks soul. 'The Great Gig in the Sky' sounds like a tossed aside, late '60s Beatles tune with a load of horrific wailing over the top of it; I fucking despise that saxophone in 'Us and Them'; I don't even know where to begin with 'Time', whether it's the wanky guitar solo, or the horribly macho vocals, or the shitty keyboards that sound like Ian Maclagan on a bad day, or that stupid introduction that serves no purpose other than trying to convince people that they were doing something clever (they weren't) with all those silly clock sounds and terrible faux-bongos or whatever they are. This music doesn't speak to me, it just sounds like a bunch of people making OK music but taking themselves far too seriously in the process. As I said, it's an alright album, but one that I could quite happily never have to hear again.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 07/12/2013 20:26
  • Post subject:
Bleh.

The most overrated album of all time. I've tried and tried this album, but it's just really really boring. There are some moments... "Time" is alright, but nothing spectacular. "Brian Damage" and "Eclipse" are slightly better, but still leave something to be desired. That being said, I really really really love "Us and Them", which is my 2nd favorite Pink Floyd song. "Any Colour You Like" does fine as a transition. The rest of this album is a total snooze-fest. Fuck "Money".

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website