The Jesus & Mary Chain's 'Psychocandy'

View previous topic :: View next topic
joyofdivision

• Posted: 01/16/2010 00:01
  • Post subject: The Jesus & Mary Chain's 'Psychocandy'
I'm sure most of the older regulars on here have heard this fantastic album but for any of the younger site users who haven't heard of it, seek it out, it's like a cross between The Velvet Undergound and The Stone Roses. It's hard to comprehend how a band had the balls to make such a feedback drenched album in the mid 80's when the charts were full of synthetic pop and hideous power ballads. This album deserves to be in the top 50 of all time, it's a true masterpiece of indie rock!
Kiki

• Posted: 01/16/2010 00:17
  • Post subject:
It never appealed to me Confused The feedback part put me off (listened to it all the way though)

The only song I like by Jesus and the mary chain is 'Head On'
joyofdivision

• Posted: 01/16/2010 00:56
  • Post subject:
I originally felt the same way about the feedback and preferred the quieter follow up, Darklands, but after having the albums for a few years, Psychocandy is amazing when you get to know the melodies underneath the feedback. Give it three or four listens, maybe after a few beers to let it sink in!
purple

• Posted: 01/16/2010 06:55
  • Post subject:
It's a fun listen, but I usually just put "Taste the Floor" on repeat; the album is better than most but still not top 10 material for me.
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 01/16/2010 09:42
  • Post subject:
I agree Joyof, Psychocandy is a truly incredible album. To me, it and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless are two sides of the same coin. They both have some of the greatest, most aggressive, feedback/noise driven, songs of all time, while still being melodic, sandwiched in between some surprisingly affecting quieter (relatively of course) more laid back songs. For Loveless I'm thinking Come in Alone followed by Sometimes; for Psychocandy you have The Hardest Walk followed by Cut Dead.
Most importantly, both create very unique sonic landscapes in which they pretty much exist alone, and both are at their best when their at their loudest. Is there a better feedback driven song than The Living End? The answer is no. The only thing that really compares to me, in terms of something you can play at max volume through headphones to really destroy your brain, is Only Shallow off Loveless. Sorry don't mean to derail your Psychocandy discussion by bringing MBV into the mix, but I honestly rarely think of one without thinking of the other. Two brilliant albums that everyone should hear.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/19/2010 03:32
  • Post subject:
[quote="Boogn1sh"]Is there a better feedback driven song than The Living End?[/quote]

Lou Reed- Metal Machine Music Pt. IV
maxperenchio

• Posted: 01/19/2010 04:28
  • Post subject: Re: The Jesus & Mary Chain's 'Psychocandy'
joyofdivision wrote:
It's hard to comprehend how a band had the balls to make such a feedback drenched album in the mid 80's when the charts were full of synthetic pop and hideous power ballads.

HIDEOUS? That's your opinion my friend.

I can't tell you how many times i used to put on Psychocandy when I would clean up the morning after a huuuuge party, empty bottles everywhere, lifeless bodies lying around with other people's girlfriends,..."listen to the girl, as she takes on half the world..." would drip out of the speakers and these freaks would come to life like an enchanted wonderland, perfect hangover medicine, and then BAM "The Living End" would just send people to hell, it was lovely. Great record!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2010 15:00
  • Post subject:
I agree, it is in my top 50 (most of the time)
  • Visit poster's website
jeck143

• Posted: 03/02/2010 10:55
  • Post subject:
I have listen one of beautiful song ( Just Like Honey ) from The Jesus & Mary Chain's 'Psychocandy'. I watched its video also, some one is interested to watch this video?