Concert Etiquette

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 18:00
  • Post subject: Concert Etiquette
So, I just purchased tickets to see Neutral Milk Hotel, which reminded me of the time I saw Jeff Mangum solo...

We had assigned seating, so naturally I got stuck next to a douchey bro, who appeared to be on a date. Throughout the performance bro talked loudly to her about what a big fan he was, occasionally singing along horribly, and constantly criticizing the rest of the crowd for not doing so. He had clearly been doing a lot of drinking that night, and his concert etiquette was more inline with seeing a Kiss cover band at an outdoor festival than a quiet acoustic act at a seated indoor venue. About 3/4 through the performance he finally got bored and left.

Do you guys have any pet peeves in regards to concert etiquette. What gets on your nerves?
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/02/2013 18:08
  • Post subject:
I dislike people who are drunk. I went to The Cribs concert last year and not only did the band play terrible and without passion there were drunk people too. They didn't care about people around them and I think some had taken drugs Shocked I got crushed against the railings as drunk and drug people were around me. Little around me were interest in the music. Mad

I went to see Billy Talent a few days later. Same venue and standing in the same spot I get no trouble. I also received the drum stick from the singer. Cool

• Posted: 08/02/2013 18:09
  • Post subject:
Oh, awesome, I (may) be seeing Neutral Milk Hotel, Animal Collective, and Godspeed! You Black Emperor in October, though my dad hasn't got the tickets yet...

Anyways, just wanted to say that, I haven't been to enough concerts to have anything to say about etiquette. Razz
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 18:45
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
I dislike people who are drunk. I went to The Cribs concert last year and not only did the band play terrible and without passion there were drunk people too. They didn't care about people around them and I think some had taken drugs Shocked I got crushed against the railings as drunk and drug people were around me. Little around me were interest in the music. Mad

I went to see Billy Talent a few days later. Same venue and standing in the same spot I get no trouble. I also received the drum stick from the singer. Cool

I often enjoy a drink or two at shows, but some people definitely don't comprehend moderation.

that feeling of being crushed against the railings is pretty awful. I haven't experienced it in a long time, but it was definitely awful when I did.

I've definitely seen people carried out before the start of the band they came to see, because they drank more than they could handle, or got too messed up on something else.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/02/2013 18:47
  • Post subject:
Where are you seeing them? I may be seeing them in February.

As for your question, I usually find drunk people at a concert to be pretty hilarious, but then again I'm used to concerts like Soundgarden, Rush, Dream Theater, etc. where the music is extremely loud and these people aren't terribly disruptive.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 18:56
  • Post subject:
I hate how classical shows have become so orderly and pretentious. They're supposed to be fun dammit! Well maybe not the Bach stuff, but Paganini for damn sure should include drinking and laughing and decadence.

Also, fuck indie shows with hipsters standing around with their arms crossed "analyzing and critiquing" the music or w/e the fuck they do. Stay home.

Oh and I went to an Iron Maiden show last year and the lead singer actually stopped to tell people in the pit to stop smoking weed because "he was trying to work." Dude, do you even realize who your fan base is made up of. Come back to reality and chill the fuck out.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:00
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Where are you seeing them? I may be seeing them in February.

As for your question, I usually find drunk people at a concert to be pretty hilarious, but then again I'm used to concerts like Soundgarden, Rush, Dream Theater, etc. where the music is extremely loud and these people aren't terribly disruptive.

I'm seeing Neutral Milk Hotel in NY in January. they must be hitting your area shortly afterwards.

I've been entertained many a times by drunk people at shows. I even got totally wasted a few times due to open bars and whiskey. It's totally about how it's handled. and it's not just drunk people. some people just like to talk at shows, and the louder the band gets, the louder they talk.

When I was in high school, i was at a hardcore show, and this drunk dude jumped off the balcony, landing on the kid in front of me, paralyzing him. That was terrifying.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:02
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
Oh and I went to an Iron Maiden show last year and the lead singer actually stopped to tell people in the pit to stop smoking weed because "he was trying to work." Dude, do you even realize who your fan base is made up of. Come back to reality and chill the fuck out.

Lol, the last time I saw Soundgarden, Chris Cornell forgot the last verse of "Pretty Noose", and then right before they performed "Fresh Tendrils" he said "I'd like to dedicate this song to the fucker smoking pot up at the front who made me forget the last verse of 'Pretty Noose'." It was awesome.

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:05
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I'm seeing Neutral Milk Hotel in NY in January. they must be hitting your area shortly afterwards.

I've been entertained many a times by drunk people at shows. I even got totally wasted a few times due to open bars and whiskey. It's totally about how it's handled. and it's not just drunk people. some people just like to talk at shows, and the louder the band gets, the louder they talk.

Yeah, they're playing in Tulsa on my friend's (a pretty big NMH fan) birthday, so I may go along. Idk for sure, though.

Anyway, while I've never had an experience with people talking too much at a concert, my dad is the type of person who likes to talk through movies (he likes to quote lines he knows, check in with us to make sure we understand what's going on if he's seen the movie and we haven't yet, predict things that are going to happen, and then congratulate himself when his predictions are right; it drives us crazy but is endearing in its own way), so I certainly understand.

Though I did once attend a music festival where they had beer vendors walking through the crowds during shows yelling "GET YOUR COLD BEER!". Despite having Eminem, Flaming Lips, Muse, Ween, Primus, Girl Talk, Bassnectar, Cage the Elephant, and quite a few other very big names the first time out, the festival has yet to return in the two years since its inception because of how poorly it was run.

Last edited by Guest on 08/02/2013 19:08; edited 1 time in total
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:08
  • Post subject:
I am so incredibly jealous of all of you people seeing one of my favorite artists of all time, they have yet to schedule any west coast dates.

As for concert etiquette, the most raucous person I can think of is from when I saw Death Grips last December. One guy standing a couple people to the right of me, in the front row, kept messing with all the equipment on stage the whole show(It's a really small venue and people in the front row are in arms reach of a lot of stuff on the stage). Anyways we kept unplugging things for most of Death Grips set, and at one point near the end, MC Ride just kicks the dude in the face, knocking him to the ground while some of the venue staff bring him off to the side. Moral of the story, don't mess with MC Ride.
  • Visit poster's website