Date of Release: A New Database Field

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Would you like a Date of Release field added to the database
I'd be updating the field, and/or sorting chronologically
45%
 45%  [5]
It would be nice to know when an album was released.
27%
 27%  [3]
Don't care that much.
27%
 27%  [3]
Total Votes : 11

Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 16:46
  • Post subject: Date of Release: A New Database Field
Here's something I'd like to see: The Date of Release for each album; and then, some functionality so that you could sort a chart chronologically.

I understand a little bit about database design, so I know it would be difficult to implement, but I think it would be worthwhile if enough people were interested. Step one would be to add the field, with a default of (for instance) January 1. Then, people could modify the date. If there is enough interest in the field, the date will be modified by a lot of users.

Then you can program the functionality of sorting chronological.

Actually, a chronological sort could be implemented now, but only resolving to the year, which would still be interesting, granting a historical perspective on the chart.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/06/2013 18:58
  • Post subject:
I would definitely like to see this. My only concern is that it can sometimes be ambiguous. Sometimes, for example, a band will sort of "intentionally leak" the album a couple days before it is released officially. Also, there have been some albums over the years for which I have been completely unable to find an actual release date (seriously, does anybody know what day in October of 1988 Daydream Nation was released? Because I've never been able to find it).

But yeah, aside from those isolated difficulties, I'd be highly interested in this and would help update the system.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:09
  • Post subject:
For me, the year is very important. The actual date is not at all. If I ever REALLY wanted to know (which I never have), it's easy enough to find.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:39
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
For me, the year is very important. The actual date is not at all. If I ever REALLY wanted to know (which I never have), it's easy enough to find.

Yeah I agree, the only think i'd like to see implemented is which record label it was released on, but again that's easy enough to find out.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:54
  • Post subject:
GeevyDallas wrote:
Yeah I agree, the only think i'd like to see implemented is which record label it was released on, but again that's easy enough to find out.

Yeah. I think knowing the record label could be great. it could potentially lead to a lot of new discoveries. The exact date doesn't seem very important, especially in this day of age when no one knows when an album's being released anyway
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/07/2013 08:20
  • Post subject:
I'd like to see the date of release too, and it has been discussed before. It would be useful for a variety of reasons e.g. to highlight anniversaries, pick out albums released in a particular month, showcase new releases etc. Obviously, there is the problem of back-populating the database and how to arbitrate over who has the 'correct' edit (which sources can be trusted etc). For albums where we can't find the full information, or can't decide which is right, we could just populate the month and year, or just leave the year standing alone.
  • Visit poster's website