View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 05:00
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
It's really quite incredible, the perfect storm that has occurred to create what is currently transpiring.

Normally, one of these things would be bad, but instead you have all of these happening at the same time.

Yeah, the only year that comes close to this is 1968. Of course the pandemic and the country teetering on the precipice of a Great Depression makes 2020 exponentially worse in many ways. But the instability and paranoia of 1968 isn't to be underestimated either: the Vietnam War, the antiwar protests, Bobby Kennedy, the brother of a president assassinated 5 years earlier, getting assassinated two months after MLK while running for president, the rioting in 100 cities after MLK's assassination, the 1968 Democratic Convention.

From what I've read 1920 is a much closer parallel than 1968. Pandemic, rapid and severe depression (highest annual deflation in US history), severe lethal racism against Black Americans. Harding ran his presidential campaign on the slogan "return to normalcy" and very decisively ousted the ruling party. It was the most recent successful "front porch campaign" (in which the candidate mostly runs from their house instead of criss-crossing the country).

He would later die in office during his first term and is often ranked as one of the worst presidents...
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 06/04/2020 18:14
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
“History repeats itself, but in such cunning disguise that we never detect the resemblance until the damage is done.”
-- Sydney J. Harris

I second this.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2020 04:43
  • Post subject:
Homicide in the "CHOP" zone.

A 19-year-old man died at a hospital after being treated for the shooting, and another is "being treated for life-threatening injuries," police said in a statement.

Police said they responded to a call about shots fired at 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning. Officers "attempted to locate a shooting victim but were met by a violent crowd that prevented officers safe access to the victims," police said.

They added that the suspect or suspects fled and are at large, with no description available.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2020 22:19
  • Post subject:
DONT JUST BLINDLY PARROT BACK WHAT THE POLICE SAY. https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2020/0...-hill-orga nized-protest-area
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2020 22:59
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
DONT JUST BLINDLY PARROT BACK WHAT THE POLICE SAY. https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2020/0...-hill-orga nized-protest-area

I didn't report it, the local news did. Take it up with them.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2020 00:14
  • Post subject:
you have a choice in what you post though! you face the possibility of people taking it up with you when you do things! I will take issue with anyone who uncritically reproduces the framing from an organization under a federal consent decree and recently did this bullshit retaliatory arrest against the person who photographed the young child that they pepper sprayed, among so much more bullshit

link gets broken due to seo formatting, you'll have to copy paste.
Code:
https://www.kuow.org/stories/he-captured-footage-of-child-pepper-sprayed-during-seattle-protest-then-was-arrested
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2020 01:01
  • Post subject:
I don't post anywhere accept for here, anonymously, so I'm not worried about it. Most every outlet is reporting it in the same way that emergency services were unable to do their jobs properly, because of the people in the CHOP zone. That's all I have to say about that.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2020 01:16
  • Post subject:
since I live here and these misrepresentations about what is happening here raise the possibilities of right wing nutjob violence (like when the guy drove into the protesters and shot one, before calmly approaching the police so that he could gently be arrested), or even the possibility of kent state level federally orchestrated violence, I will continue to care about this. like for example, how it is inaccurate to say that the protesters prevented emergency services from reaching a shooting victim in the zone when that victim had already been moved from the scene! but yeah fuck me for giving a shit about my city
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2020 01:26
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2020 01:59
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
That's all I have to say about that.

hmm.

but yeah re: that video about the other incident, it's a bit weird that this shooting on 10th and pine, at the edge of the occupied protest area, would require going into the area to take the victim, since its outside of the area. but yeah, its all moot anyways since Durkan is saying theyre going to remove the protest now, you'll have to find a new right wing boogyman for your entertainment and police can go back to their excellent response to murder in the area https://q13fox.com/2019/07/14/family-mo...pitol-hill -stabbing/
  • Visit poster's website