Listening to albums

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2010 12:08
  • Post subject: Listening to albums
I suppose it would interfere with someone's profit model so I guess it's a long shot, but a comment left on my chart last night makes me wonder: are there any sites out there where you can listen to whole albums? I haven't heard many of those on the charts I've peeked at myself, and the comment left on my chart was "Too many albums I have not heard of" (I'm guessing as an explanation for why the poster didn't leave a chart rating). It would be nice to be able to hear at least say 75% of an album from time to time, and not just 20-30second snippets of songs.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2010 14:13
  • Post subject:
Sorry, but I don't think that's really necessary.

I remember when I first heard about Tori's Little Earthquakes, my favorite album ever. My ex-girlfriend was doing something for my mom at my house, and while they were doing that, I just spent three hours listening to the 30-second previews in order. It was another week until I bought my first track from it, "Crucify".

What I normally do when I want full songs is just go and get the track list and look them up on Youtube. Sometimes, people even make it easy for me by making an album playlist Smile
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/06/2010 15:40
  • Post subject:
I think that's the one real downside to the digital music era, you used to buy an album and work at it until it revealed all it's wonders to you, now you can select a track and ignore the rest if it doesn't grab you straight away... you miss a lot of good music that way.

I always think of discovering an album like slowly and methodically unwrapping a parcel or present, the brightest elements will grab you immediately, which snippets will reveal, while some aspects need you to be in the right place of mind to appreciate, and this may take months, or even years to synchronise with a song so to speak, and it's these little gems that suffer when people can choose not to get them from the off.

Whole albums are one area nobody seems to have been able to reconcile with the need for protection so far. It used to be you could stand in the record shop and browse while an album was played in it's entirety.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 02/06/2010 16:58
  • Post subject:
best site to isten to complete albums is certainly: www.grooveshark.com
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 02/06/2010 22:29
  • Post subject:
badfaith wrote:
I think that's the one real downside to the digital music era, you used to buy an album and work at it until it revealed all it's wonders to you, now you can select a track and ignore the rest if it doesn't grab you straight away... you miss a lot of good music that way.

This is definitely my method of finding and listening to music. I love the feeling of purchasing that new album, putting it in your stereo, and just letting it run all the way through. There's nothing better! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2010 22:43
  • Post subject:
Well, continuing this bunny trail, I don't think it's ALL bad. When you buy an album digitally, you might forget all about it, then rediscover a song from it while in a shuffle session.
  • Visit poster's website
maxperenchio

• Posted: 02/06/2010 23:55
  • Post subject:
Its amazing how many full albums are on Youtube. I think blogspot is generally the way to go though if you want to check out albums you haven't heard much about- just to kind of "sample" and see if you like them... and never keep them past 48 hours....... Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2010 03:21
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Sorry, but I don't think that's really necessary.

I remember when I first heard about Tori's Little Earthquakes, my favorite album ever. My ex-girlfriend was doing something for my mom at my house, and while they were doing that, I just spent three hours listening to the 30-second previews in order. It was another week until I bought my first track from it, "Crucify".

What I normally do when I want full songs is just go and get the track list and look them up on Youtube. Sometimes, people even make it easy for me by making an album playlist Smile

The problem is (and I've found this with, say, Disintegration by the Cure on iTunes) the 30-second samples often aren't very representative of the whole song. They might sample a bridge for instance - hardly gives you much to go by...meanwhile, as Mikey and Badfaith state, nothing really compares to unravelling an entire album track by track in the order they were arranged by the band/producer. That's the true art of the album, moreso than the individual songs, though the strength of the individual songs tends to increase the strength of the collection.

As for YouTube, I've found most often they don't have complete albums when I've gone searching - only for occasional artists and the occasional album. I'm sure the second a record company finds out then the audio "videos" are taken down for copyright infringement.

Thanks, Cartoken - I'll check out grooveshark when I get a chance.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2010 03:58
  • Post subject:
Grooveshark is great, not sure how legal.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2010 08:54
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Grooveshark is great, not sure how legal.

Ah - I'd presumed it was an above-board streaming site. Don't really want to get into the illegal sites due to viruses and lawsuit-happy record companies.