Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/03/2013 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1021): Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of
Today's album of the day

Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire) by The Kinks (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1969.
Overall rank: 314
Average rating: 82/100 (from 195 votes).

Tracks:
1. Victoria
2. Yes Sir, No Sir
3. Some Mother's Son
4. Drivin'
5. Brainwashed
6. Australia
7. Shangri-La
8. Mr. Churchill Says
9. She Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina
10. Young & Innocent Days
11. Nothing To Say
12. Arthur

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 09/03/2013 20:32
  • Post subject:
YES

The Kinks are probably my favorite band ever, and this album is obviously in their top 4, along with Face To Face, Something Else and Village Green. Within that top 4, it's probably third, in front of Face To Face and behind Village Green and Something Else.

This is as absolute masterpiece from start to finish. Victoria is one of the catchiest songs ever, Yes Sir, No Sir is fantastic, particularly that middle part where Davies takes his habitual voice again. Some Mothers' Son is one of the saddest songs I know. Drivin' and Brainwashed are great songs, much more mature than what The Kinks used to record. At this point they had definitely let classic rock 'n' roll behind to progress towards more sophisticated kinds of pop. The following three songs are my least favorite part of the record. Australia is very good, Shangri-La is even better, but Mr. Churchill Says is by far the weakest track of the lot. Repetitive, not so catchy, and really subpar compared to the rest. She Bought A Hat is absolutely gorgeous, and Young And Innocent Days is just perfect. Nostalgia never sounded better than on this song. The right dose of catchiness, the right dose of sadness, it's incredible. Nothing To Say is another heartbreaking song about the relations between a father and his son. And the closer is great, too. Nothing too special, just great.

I may actually re-listen to this in the next days, as it may actually be my favorite Kinks release. I always change my mind anyway. Just one of my absolute records from the 60s and of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 09/03/2013 20:35
  • Post subject:
Arthur>>>>>Village Green
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/03/2013 20:40
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
Arthur>>>>>Village Green

Don't agree, but it's a close call as both albums (+ Something Else) are splendid. Great pop blah glorious lyrics blahblah garden of melody Eden blahblahblah you get it.

In short: love The Kinks, + "Victoria" is a great song to study with the kids, tried it last year, sort of worked, will try it again this year, only better.

This was my nobodycaresbutillsayitallthesame time. You're welcome.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 09/03/2013 20:41
  • Post subject:
Some Mother's Son <3
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/03/2013 21:12
  • Post subject:
I'd put Village Green and Lola Versus Powerman over this but it's still great.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2013 22:46
  • Post subject:
brings back memories. when i was interning at CMJ back i 2003, my boss listened to this nearly every day. Sadly he's passed away, but I'll always connect this magical album with him.
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/04/2013 08:44
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Nothing too special, just great.

Sometimes I think the word "great" is really overused.

Anyway, when I think of The Kinks, gussteivi's comment on the band always comes to mind:

gussteivi wrote:
Some people say The Kinks are the most underrated band of all time. I say they are the most overrated underrated band of all time!

I know he's changed mind since, but I definitely agree with this statement. Many people seem to go on and on about how underrated they are, but I for one don't get the fuss. Ray Davies is a decent songwriter, maybe more, but generally I'm unable to hear The Kinks as a band that takes themselves seriously at all. The music is catchy and all, but devoid of emotions to my ears. Whenever it gets a little serious, they end up ruining the song with a silly "la-la-la-la"-choir or something. I honestly think that all songs on this album and The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society are more leighthearted than The Beatles' "Maxwell's Silver Hammer". I'd like to hear from anyone if I'm supposed to take them seriously or what, but even if I'm not, it seems that The Beach Boys, ELO, the sillier side of The Beatles, Blur, etc. are doing a better job when it comes to filling me with joy. The Kinks just end up sounding kinda bland and unnecessary to me. Currently I think their debut is my favourite by them, one of the rarest examples of a band where I prefer the rawest and punkest album. Hmm...

What confuses me the most is how similar their music is to The Beatles, yet I love The Beatles, but almost don't care about The Kinks at all! Confused
Wombi

• Posted: 09/04/2013 12:33
  • Post subject:
Dammit! I wrote a superlong response to Mother Nature's Son but it timed out ugh Crying or Very sad

To keep it way too simple:

in regards to Gussteivi: I don't think he was saying what you think he was saying.

in regards to The Kinks: their purpose is not to fill you with joy (mostly) their purpose is to be so sarcastic that when you realise what they're saying it feels like a slap in the face. Just like the "British Empire".

This is album is a masterpiece.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 09/04/2013 14:04
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
I know he's changed mind since, but I definitely agree with this statement. Many people seem to go on and on about how underrated they are, but I for one don't get the fuss. Ray Davies is a decent songwriter, maybe more, but generally I'm unable to hear The Kinks as a band that takes themselves seriously at all. The music is catchy and all, but devoid of emotions to my ears. Whenever it gets a little serious, they end up ruining the song with a silly "la-la-la-la"-choir or something. I honestly think that all songs on this album and The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society are more leighthearted than The Beatles' "Maxwell's Silver Hammer". I'd like to hear from anyone if I'm supposed to take them seriously or what, but even if I'm not, it seems that The Beach Boys, ELO, the sillier side of The Beatles, Blur, etc. are doing a better job when it comes to filling me with joy. The Kinks just end up sounding kinda bland and unnecessary to me. Currently I think their debut is my favourite by them, one of the rarest examples of a band where I prefer the rawest and punkest album. Hmm...

What confuses me the most is how similar their music is to The Beatles, yet I love The Beatles, but almost don't care about The Kinks at all! Confused

About the "great" word, I guess you're right, but most of the time, I just don't know which other word to use Laughing

About the Kinks, now. Their songs aren't supposed to be uplifting. It's precisely the opposite. Their songs are like pictures of society, dealing with silly habits, grotesque clichés and sad situations, but most of the time with a small touch of humor. I think the best example of their style is the song A Well-Respected Man. This songs seems catchy, fun and silly, but in reality it's a pitiless critique of the expectations of society, the life of the average British, and the stupidity of the clichés surrounding certain people. It's really depressive. But at the same time, it's treated with humor. Their not like "your life is bad you should change don't listen to the government fuck society", it'd be annoying. They just tell a story, describe a life, a person, make fun of it, of you and of themselves, and it makes you laugh, but it also makes you think. The Kinks are among those rare bands that actually have something to say. They are like the Molières (not sure how you call him in English) of music. They criticize through comedy. It has never been supposed to make you happy. Smile; not happy. And that's the strength of The Kinks. Because not only their lyrics are some of the best in the world, but their music is also incredibly catchy, and Davies' voice is IMO one of the most expressive ever. He can sing nostalgia, sadness, jokes, joice, anger, and tell stories like nobody else.

It's always difficult to pick a favorite band, but within the world of pop music, The Kinks are easily on top. They never wrote Forever Changes, they never sounded as incredible as MBV's guitars, and they didn't change pop music like The Beatles did, but to me, they are much more than that. They are humans, they sing about humans, and they do it in the best way possible. I know I can't change your opinion on them, but a different point of view always helps. The Kinks mean a lot to me and I'll always try my best to make people love them Smile

And also, their first is by pretty far the worst out of their first ten albums, IMO Laughing
  • Visit poster's website