Ideas gone

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/06/2013 11:03
  • Post subject: Ideas gone
As I ponder what I am currently doing with my music, I thought about remixing, reimagining or reworking other people's tracks. I feel like I am stuck in a rut. Current thoughts:

- Mastering - I don't think I am getting my mixes right. 28 releases in as Harkan/HRKN/Brad Harkan and I feel like my mastering is still average
- Naming - I don't know if Harkan is still cutting it for me.
- Rushing - Sometimes I feel like I rush releases because I would rather just get stuff out there than really work on it. Music or sound creation has become a hobby but also a time-waster.

Yesterday I released an album but removed it almost immediately. This has all come to ahead as I was working with a rather pushy individual on a collaboration and his critique of my work shot me to pieces. Extensive notes on a demo piece, ripping it to shreds.

What is the point of my music?

I'm ranting but I don't care.

I have absorbed myself into music since joining BEA a few years back. Sometimes I think it takes me too far from reality. Almost like I neglect the life I live. I don't want to stop listening and making music but I also don't want to be a recluse and make noises for no audience.

I'm no Tim Hecker, Lustmord or JG Thirlwell. I lack the talent these musicians do.

Maybe Harkan needs to go?

I am so close to just deleting all the music I have made.

I've become a one-trick pony. Drag this, drop this down, reverb here, post. Why in this age of digital music do we think of music as fast food almost? We need it now! It needs to be imemdiate! Fuck it!

JKRGHIOWEFKQJWEBHFNM
ASGJSDFOJGWEG
]APGKSWG
JO[QWEG
  • Visit poster's website
marshallsbrother

Australia

• Posted: 09/06/2013 12:23
  • Post subject:
Cheer up buddy, you go alright...
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 09/06/2013 12:57
  • Post subject:
If you like making music, make it. If you don't like making music, don't. If want to make music a certain way, make it a certain way.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2013 13:02
  • Post subject:
There's nothing wrong with making music for your own enjoyment Smile

That being said, if you want more people to pay attention to your music, delayed gratification might be the way to go. Just work at making 1-2 really focused albums a year (with maybe some singles in between Razz), and I'm sure you'll have a Who's Masquerade in no time Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2013 15:03
  • Post subject: Re: Ideas gone
harkan wrote:
What is the point of my music?

I'm ranting but I don't care.

I have absorbed myself into music since joining BEA a few years back. Sometimes I think it takes me too far from reality. Almost like I neglect the life I live. I don't want to stop listening and making music but I also don't want to be a recluse and make noises for no audience.

I think it's always important to re-evaluate your artwork so you can continue to challenge yourself and improve. You're always going to be your own worst critic. And when you've been as productive as you have been, there will be a need to step back every now and then and focus on something else as a break. You'll come back to the music refreshed.

I totally understand that feeling of creating something and putting it out into the public and feeling like no one's actually seeing it. I think this is a fear that pretty much effects all artists. To dedicate so much of yourself to something and to make it public is a tough thing to do, and when you receive no response it's disheartening.

I think you just need to remind yourself what this music does for you. what it means to your own wellbeing, as most of us create because we have to, because it's a therapeutic release that makes us a better person. and if you can reach one just one person positively with the things you create, it's completely worth it.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2013 16:18
  • Post subject:
Make a pop album.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 09/06/2013 16:24
  • Post subject:
As usual, meccalecca hits the nail right on the head.

This video helps me out when I'm feeling like this, it might help you.

http://vimeo.com/24715531

Keep at it; everything you make has value.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2013 16:29
  • Post subject:
Thanks Puncture.

Musicians are generally more valued in today's world than fine artists, or at least have a more viable option for releasing their work to the public.

Being a fine artist really presents a much greater challenge. I always tell musicians that they should feel lucky that they aren't painters, or conceptual artists.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2013 23:18
  • Post subject:
I made music on a website called Aviary for several years. Mostly mashups and remixes, although a few original tracks here and there from altering instrument setups that existed. And you know what? I sucked. 99% of the time I sucked at it. I was in the same place as you. I was pretty close to quitting because I realized I didn't even like listening to what I made, I just liked making it.

And then a funny thing happened.

I found out that no one on that site was terribly proud of most of their music. They just enjoyed making it. Around the same time, a song I made somehow went viral on the site (viral's relative, it got like 12 favorites but as songs go that put it in top hundred on the site or something, and front page views wise).

So my advice is stick with it. Do what you enjoy. If you feel like you need to make something that others will enjoy, or to change it up, then change it up. That was what I did in my "viral" song, it was my first non mashup/remix. You never know what else you can come up with.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/07/2013 00:15
  • Post subject:
Thankyou all for the kind words. I was babbling too much I think yesterday. My brain wasn't in the right place. And I realised that this community of people here are the best support base compared to any other when it comes to music.

That video Puncture put up helped a lot. I've been looking for a creative outlet since becoming a teacher and, although writing was my first passion, music has become another one.

I agree with Applerill that delayed gratification is a good idea. Making soundscapes has become fluid and consistent so much for me that I find it easy to create a bunch of songs in a small amount of time. I'm happy with what I release but I know it is not to a standard that others are at. The video made me realise this isn't a bad thing.

Today, Discarded Knowledge will be re-released with a bit of track tweaking. It is lo-fi ambient so I cannot say that it is meant to be great. I love it; I should love it.

Note to self: avoid song/ep/album challenges next year. Quality over quantity.

P.S.: If anyone wants to remix any of my songs, feel free. I would love to hear what people come up with. And vice versa.
  • Visit poster's website